Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis to tour in 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 16:45
They recently released a "rehearsal teaser" on YouTube. I think the stage looks cool.

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 14:17
Thats cool they got Curly from the 3 Stooges to cover the vocals. "Oh a wise guy eh ... nyet nyet nyet."

Edited by Easy Money - March 11 2021 at 16:00
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 09:28
This is painful. I wish Phil all the best, he was a phenomenal drummer in his time, and a decent singer. His backing vox complimented Pet's really well.

But this?

I'm not even sure he's going to be able last the night. His voice is shot - never mind pandemic related uncertainty.

This is hard to watch
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 00:42
Well it wasn't that bad. I went to the first gig in I don't know how long on Monday (National Indoor Arena , Birmingham - they used to film the Saturday night UK staple 'Gladiators' there!) and it was well enjoyable. Phil's son Nic is an excellent technical drummer and did his Dad proud. Seems to have all his Dad's licks off to a tee. Phil is clearly not in the best of health bit got through the night and did okay although struggled to keep up a bit on a few occasions. Genesis are the ultimate professional band and everything from a instrumental point of view was totally nailed. No great surprises in the set list which was mostly Duke onwards and included all the hits (bar Abacab which did surprise me). Highlights were Mama and a singalong to Carpet Crawlers at the end. They played the instrumental parts of Cinema Show and Firth of Fifth as well opening the show with Dukes Travels/End which was very nice. Overall a lot of fun and it was just nice to go to a gig!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 03:17
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Well it wasn't that bad. I went to the first gig in I don't know how long on Monday (National Indoor Arena , Birmingham - they used to film the Saturday night UK staple 'Gladiators' there!) and it was well enjoyable. Phil's son Nic is an excellent technical drummer and did his Dad proud. Seems to have all his Dad's licks off to a tee. Phil is clearly not in the best of health bit got through the night and did okay although struggled to keep up a bit on a few occasions. Genesis are the ultimate professional band and everything from a instrumental point of view was totally nailed. No great surprises in the set list which was mostly Duke onwards and included all the hits (bar Abacab which did surprise me). Highlights were Mama and a singalong to Carpet Crawlers at the end. They played the instrumental parts of Cinema Show and Firth of Fifth as well opening the show with Dukes Travels/End which was very nice. Overall a lot of fun and it was just nice to go to a gig!

That is so nice to hear, Richard! Been a while since we ran into each other here on the forms. So glad you to experience Genesis live.
I’ve got that “the last Domino’” cd on preorder. Should be getting it in November. Cheers man.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 03:36
Thanks for the review, richardh.  I was very against the idea but once the reviews came in, I wished I had gone after all (I live quite near to Birmingham as well).  I saw them in 77, 78 and 87 and I suppose I was put off by the fact that Phil could not play drums any more.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 04:27

Just like I expected, the set list is booring and predictable. It overlaps considerably with previous ones and holds no real surprises. Lots of stuff from the 80's and 90's albums, and only a few from the 70's albums.

The idea that someone here on the forum had to play one song from each album would have been a lot more interesting.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 05:04
Meanwhile, we were at the second of Steve Hackett's three night residency at the London Palladium, which was awesome. Short first half with Amanda Lehman as additional guitarist (and vocalist on 'Shadow of the Hierophant). Long second half consisted of the entire 'Seconds Out' album with an encore of 'Dance on a Volcano'.

Spectacular musicianship all round (with Jonas Reingold on bass)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 12:02
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

That's great! Wish they were coming to the US west coast...This seems pretty normal for a first gig of a tour, working out all the bugs. I suspect the following shows will be better regarding his voice, I'm not surprised about Nic, turning out to be an accomplished drummer.
They WILL NOT play a heavy 70's setlist from NC, Foxtrot, SEBtP and ATOtT, that is not what made them gazillionaires. The majority of the fanbase does not even know any of those albums.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 12:06
^Cry
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 02:55
I seriously considered crossing the North Sea just to see them but I ultimately decided that paying for a ferry ticket and a hotel in addition to the 100 UK pound concert ticket would be a bit too far outside of my budget. I wish a good time to anyone here fortunate enough to go!
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 13:51
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I seriously considered crossing the North Sea just to see them but I ultimately decided that paying for a ferry ticket and a hotel in addition to the 100 UK pound concert ticket would be a bit too far outside of my budget. I wish a good time to anyone here fortunate enough to go!

Go and see Steve Hackett instead, he’ll play all the Genesis stuff you’d prefer to hear, and the tickets are less than half the price (I saw yesterday and the ticket price was about £40.). He’s coming to the Netherlands in March according to his website.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12