Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cruise To The Edge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cruise To The Edge
    Posted: March 04 2020 at 11:19
I'm going on a cruise next year to Barcelona, Spain from Miami, FL but it has nothing to do with music.

However i was wondering if anyone has ever done this one? A cruise filled with prog acts? Wow.

Sounds like something for the bucket list.

https://cruisetotheedge.com/2020/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/CTTE_2020_WebMarquee_feb20.jpg

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 11:31
Every year I bring it up to my wife and she is game every year........Then I back out. The price is very high for the cruise IMO. We did a 7nt Med Cruise a few years ago round trip from Barcelona and that was free compared to this Cruise to the Edge pricing.

This lineup is one of the best, so for me it is a bucket list item. I'll go one year I'm sure....
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 11:34
Nice Line up!  Marillion, Steve Hackett, Flying Colors, Protocal, Stick Men, Saga...Not too shabby!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 08:31
Nobody's ever done this? No reports? I guess this site doesn't attract the rich folk!

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 08:44
Are half the passengers just the bands and their crew?

One of those things I would like to do, but not in my budget.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 11:36
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Nobody's ever done this? No reports? I guess this site doesn't attract the rich folk!

The reports I have read on another music site is always positive. There is a good amount of downtime where you can hob-nob with the artists since there is nowhere to hide really....There are a lot of meet and greet ops, even sitting and just having a drink with them, tons of picture ops too.

Shows I have read can start as early as 10am and headliner shows can go till after midnight. There is always that chance of bad weather too since it is the Caribbean and waves can get rocky....Dramamine! LOL 

Like I said we will go one year, problem is I have to get to Miami from Seattle.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 13:44
^ being stuck on the sea listening to prog all day and all night and only going to shore to see a new destination sounds like paradise!!!!!

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 14:13
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ being stuck on the sea listening to prog all day and all night and only going to shore to see a new destination sounds like paradise!!!!!

...word
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 18:56
Hardcore prog fan plus lots of money and vacation time equals CTTE. 

It's been around for a while. I've never gone personally but it does seem to attract a good crowd apparently(approximately 2-3,000 on the cruise). However, my guess would be attendance will be down signifcantly because of a certain something that has the same name as a mexican beer. Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 06 2020 at 19:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 19:01
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Are half the passengers just the bands and their crew?

One of those things I would like to do, but not in my budget.

I don't know for sure. However, my guess would be more like 20 percent. Pretty much all of them are big prog fans anyway so it doesn't really matter. There really are more prog fans out there than most people think; they just don't necessarily eat, sleep and drink it like many of us on here do. ;)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 06 2020 at 19:16
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 19:54
It would be in my budget, but I don't swim, so avoid oceanic things.  That being said, it's a great idea for a lot of like-minded people to enjoy in one place and get to spend some time with the artists who create what brings their audiences together.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 00:32
You're afraid your going to start dancing to the prog and then fall backwards into the sea? Wink
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 08:34
Yes, I went on CTTE 2014 with my wife. Had a great time! Had breakfast with Soft Machine and The Strawbs at the buffet. Sat around the pool and chatted with Tony Levin. Listened to continuous performances from 11am until midnight. Saw some of the final performances of John Wetton, Edgar Froese, and Chris Squire before their passing. Incredible. Here's a few pics of me and various bands during their photo-ops...

UK

Electric Asturias

StickMen

Patrick Moraz

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 12:09
Hi,

If I could afford it, I probably would go to one ... but at 69, I think I would end up  having a heart attack right after it all, just trying to get some rest from it all ... but getting me into that can of tuna for a few days? 

I don't think so!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 12:23
I could never go on a cruise as I suffer from seasickness. I got seasick once on the Cross Channel Ferry, and that was before it had even left the port of Ramsgate. Dead 
I wish I was joking but it's absolutely true. 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 08 2020 at 12:24
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 14:22
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I could never go on a cruise as I suffer from seasickness. I got seasick once on the Cross Channel Ferry, and that was before it had even left the port of Ramsgate. Dead 

My wife gets seasick, too. Even reading a book in the car makes her sick. Nonetheless, we've been on 7 cruises. She goes to the doctor and gets a Scopolamine patch which she wears (and periodically replaces) throughout the cruise, and she hasn't gotten sick! It works a lot better than waiting until symptoms arise, then taking Dramamine pills.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 14:25
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

My wife gets seasick, too. Even reading a book in the car makes her sick. Nonetheless, we've been on 7 cruises. She goes to the doctor and gets a Scopolamine patch which she wears (and periodically replaces) throughout the cruise, and she hasn't gotten sick! It works a lot better than waiting until symptoms arise, then taking Dramamine pills.
I'm just the same. I can't read a book in the car or on the bus either, or I'd go a funny shade of green. Dead
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 10:43
I get seasick too, but only on small fishing type boats in the ocean when seas get very rough, when boat is moving along I am fine, once it stops to drop lines and fish.....I'm chum bait! The back and forth kills me and then loosing horizon perspective. Planes and roller coasters I can do all day long, boats are different. 

Our Med cruise was a snap, no issues what so ever, but we are talking a massive boat (Allure of the Seas) with stabilizers and I never felt the boat move at all, only in the shower did I feel movement.
My concern with CTTE is the Caribbean ocean that can get rough.
FXM View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FXM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 12:36
If you went on CTTE 2020 seasickness would be the least of your worries.
I was on the first and second CTTE in 2014. I caught some kind of virus on board during the 2014 cruise which I took over a month to fully recover from. There is a high probability that COVID-19 will made an appearance. Crammed venues on board the ship will be a fertile ground for the spread of the virus.
If the organizers had any consideration for the punters and not their profit margin they would postpone/cancel the cruise.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 13:37
Originally posted by FXM FXM wrote:

If you went on CTTE 2020 seasickness would be the least of your worries.
I was on the first and second CTTE in 2014. I caught some kind of virus on board during the 2014 cruise which I took over a month to fully recover from. There is a high probability that COVID-19 will made an appearance. Crammed venues on board the ship will be a fertile ground for the spread of the virus.
If the organizers had any consideration for the punters and not their profit margin they would postpone/cancel the cruise.

Your spot on....Every cruise there are band cancellations, I'm expecting many of them to announce this year. Even if I had the cash and stars lined up, I would not be going.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>