Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Haken - March 4, 2020 in Richmond, VA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Haken - March 4, 2020 in Richmond, VA
    Posted: March 05 2020 at 08:04
Opening were Jason Kui (guitar virtuoso from Hong Kong) and the Contortionist.

Haken and the Contortionist are both currently touring right now as the openers for Devin Townsend. Haken scheduled a few club gigs in during the tour to play Affinity in its entirety. This was the first of those shows. They are doing the same set for Cruise on the Edge. The show was at the Canal Club, which holds about few hundred, and as a guess, was about half full last night.

The opening guitarist definitely shredded and had a good vibe around him, joking that he's from Hong Kong but not to worry, he doesn't have the coronavirus, and we can shake his hand and fist bump him after the show.

The Contortionist had a good energy and got the crowd going. A pit formed a couple of times. 

Haken put on a good performance. I thought the mix of off at times,  but the band seemed to be in good spirits. They had opened the night before in Philadelphia and are playing today in Charlotte for the Townsend tour. They opened with the Affinity album. During "1985", they broke into a fun cover of "Owner of a Lonely Heart". By playing the entire album, it included their first live performance of "Bound by Gravity". They then played the "Aquamedley" in honor of the 10 year anniversary of the debut album. They closed with Nil by Mouth and Cockroach King. They played a solid hour and 45 minutes. 

Edited by mathman0806 - March 05 2020 at 08:05
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 10:27
I was disappointed when I saw Haken 2yrs ago......It was prog metal mess, I thought I was at an Atreyu concert my son used to go to years ago. The sound mix was not good and I thought Ross was a bit of a prude on stage.
I'm happy I saw them.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 13:11
Their new direction is a bit disappointing for me. They were a very good band, now they've turned into an above average metal band with odd time signatures.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 16:33
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Their new direction is a bit disappointing for me. They were a very good band, now they've turned into an above average metal band with odd time signatures.

Agree, problem too I have is the metal they are playing does not work too well past 4-5 minutes........8-12 (and longer) minute metal/thrashy stuff is very boring.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 20:38
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Agree, problem too I have is the metal they are playing does not work too well past 4-5 minutes........8-12 (and longer) minute metal/thrashy stuff is very boring.

It's not that they've turned into a metal band, it's about turning into a rather above average one. If I want to listen to something heavy, I'd rather put on some Meshuggah or something else that's far better.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 01:38

It's not that they've turned into a metal band, it's about turning into a rather above average one. If I want to listen to something heavy, I'd rather put on some Meshuggah or something else that's far better.
I get it, I just don't think they do long metal/thrash well, too repetitive. Although the crowd here in Seattle likes them as this is a very metal music town, so it seems to work. Telling someone here they are prog-metal would not carry much weight at all. 
Fysix View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 00:23
I saw Haken last year with Vola as the opener, and in the latter kind of stole the show with a much better mix. I suppose they all brought their own sound guys… Nevertheless, I do enjoy the band and their live show quite a bit - nothing average to my ears; for modern prog metal, Haken is one of the prime players to me.

The new release Prosthetic sounds great to me (although very much going further in the metal direction), so I hope to see another live set one the Corona situation resolves.
www.atlas-cube.de
soundcloud.com/atlascube
facebook.com/atlascube
instagram.com/atlascubemusic
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 13:54
Yea just listened to Prosthetic, not a fan, too thrashy/doom metal for me. Seems Haken is taking a different musical path.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 20:27
Originally posted by Fysix Fysix wrote:

I saw Haken last year with Vola as the opener, and in the latter kind of stole the show with a much better mix. I suppose they all brought their own sound guys… Nevertheless, I do enjoy the band and their live show quite a bit - nothing average to my ears; for modern prog metal, Haken is one of the prime players to me.

The new release Prosthetic sounds great to me (although very much going further in the metal direction), so I hope to see another live set one the Corona situation resolves.

The only time I saw Haken was Leprous and Bent Knee opening. Leprous really killed it. 

I think it's odd that Haken even added in a breakdown at the end of Prosthetic LOLLOL.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 20:46

Yea just listened to Prosthetic, not a fan, too thrashy/doom metal for me. Seems Haken is taking a different musical path.

I assume you're not a fan of the djenty Nil By Mouth eh? LOLLOL I was surprised that they even wrote that song to begin with. Now this, I guess bands will surprise you!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 10:07

I assume you're not a fan of the djenty Nil By Mouth eh? LOLLOL I was surprised that they even wrote that song to begin with. Now this, I guess bands will surprise you!

I'd have to listen to it again....must be forgettable LOL.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 10:33

I admit I'm a sucker for instrumental, progressive metal like Animals as Leaders and this song by Haken.

But they aren't Tosin Abasi and co.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 10:45

I admit I'm a sucker for instrumental, progressive metal like Animals as Leaders and this song by Haken.

But they aren't Tosin Abasi and co.
Listened again, forgot it was instrumental. I like that one, I too am a sucker for instrumentals. 
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 11:01
Nil by Mouth was great live.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 11:19
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Haken as leaders!Wink

Edited by King of Loss - April 13 2020 at 11:20
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 13:56

I'm sure it was, I don't remember the song when we saw them. It was a tough gig to get into for me, they were so freaking loud and it was a mish mash of thrashy prog metal. Again, the venue sure did not help.......I have better memories of Leprous and Bent Knee.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 17:18

I'm sure it was, I don't remember the song when we saw them. It was a tough gig to get into for me, they were so freaking loud and it was a mish mash of thrashy prog metal. Again, the venue sure did not help.......I have better memories of Leprous and Bent Knee.

I thought the mix was off at times at the show I saw, mostly with Ross's vocals. Nil by Mouth sounded good as an instrumental. Overall, the show was good because they went through Affinity in its entirety, which is my personal favorite of theirs. I wasn't too keen with Vector and the upcoming Virus is supposed to be a continuation of sorts. The lead track Prosthetic is thrashy, and the band has said that it was inspired by both Hanneman (Slayer) and Fripp. 
 Post Reply Post Reply