Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Enid: Favourite Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 16:06
I still really enjoy the 'Live at the Hammersmith Odeon vols 1 & 2' lps, 'in the region of the summer stars' and 'Aerie Faerie Nonsense'.. Bits of 'Something Wicked this way comes' are good too.. The Enid are one of those bands/ Artists like Hawkwind and Roy Harper who ive seen lots and lots of times (cant remember how many) mostly due to following the free festivals in very early 1980's.. I do remember (hmm.. remembering is a bit too definite) lying on my back staring up at the night sky at Stonehenge whilst the Enid played 'Last Judgement/ Region of summer stars'...

I did loose interest in the Enid after about the late 80's.. I went with a friend to one of the 'farewell shows' at the Dominion theatre in London in 1988.. It was a good show but somehow I just lost interest after that. I have seen them a couple of times since and not really enjoyed it.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 16:41
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I still really enjoy the 'Live at the Hammersmith Odeon vols 1 & 2' lps, 'in the region of the summer stars' and 'Aerie Faerie Nonsense'.. Bits of 'Something Wicked this way comes' are good too.. The Enid are one of those bands/ Artists like Hawkwind and Roy Harper who ive seen lots and lots of times (cant remember how many) mostly due to following the free festivals in very early 1980's.. I do remember (hmm.. remembering is a bit too definite) lying on my back staring up at the night sky at Stonehenge whilst the Enid played 'Last Judgement/ Region of summer stars'...

I did loose interest in the Enid after about the late 80's.. I went with a friend to one of the 'farewell shows' at the Dominion theatre in London in 1988.. It was a good show but somehow I just lost interest after that. I have seen them a couple of times since and not really enjoyed it.

This thread has completely revitalised my interest in The Enid, mainly because I'm finding all of their full albums on YouTube when I'd never even thought of looking for them before. Smile

Here's the next two albums in sequence following on from those I uploaded earlier.....

Sundialer (1995)  4 stars

White Goddess (1997) 5 stars

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 12 2020 at 08:47
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 16:50
Of what I have heard,Salome ,I like from start to finish.Other albums are pretty spotty.
Reverberations (18 mins.) from Seed and the Sower,is absolutely brilliant.
Shake & bake.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 01:11
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Of what I have heard,Salome ,I like from start to finish.Other albums are pretty spotty.
Reverberations (18 mins.) from Seed and the Sower,is absolutely brilliant.
I agree. The Seed and the Sower is my favourite album by The Enid. Thumbs Up

Arise and Shine (2009) 5 stars

Journey's End (2010)  4 stars

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 12 2020 at 10:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 09:55
Risen (2011)  5 stars

Invicta (2012)  5 stars

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 13 2020 at 12:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 12:34
First Light - Terra Firma & Dark Hydraulic (2014)  4 stars

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 13 2020 at 14:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 03:45
The Bridge Show - Live at Union Chapel, London 2015 (Part I)

The Bridge Show - Live at Union Chapel, London 2015 (Part II)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 14 2020 at 03:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 09:29
Dust (2016)  4 stars

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 14 2020 at 13:05
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 11:08
Even though I have a vinyl copy of "Live at Hammersmith Odeon Vol 1", the only one that I am really familiar with is the beautiful "The Seed & Sower", which I was just listening to.  I was going to write a review on it, but I decided I have to get to know it better as this is the first time it really left what I hope is a lasting impression on me.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 13:07
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Even though I have a vinyl copy of "Live at Hammersmith Odeon Vol 1", the only one that I am really familiar with is the beautiful "The Seed & Sower", which I was just listening to.  I was going to write a review on it, but I decided I have to get to know it better as this is the first time it really left what I hope is a lasting impression on me.

The Seed and the Sower is my favourite album by The Enid too, having listened to all but two of their albums now. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 13:41
Resurgency (2017)

1. Reborn in the Fire

2. Space Surfing

3. Malacandra

4. Leviticus

5. Terra Firma

6. Who Created Me

7. Witch Hunt

8. Someone Shall Rise

9. Shiva

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 14 2020 at 15:05
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 16:04
I only have In the region of Summer stars and it’s excellent. Main reason being that the LP’s are scarce and I was lucky enough to have come across Region many years ago.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 05:13
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I only have In the region of Summer stars and it’s excellent. Main reason being that the LP’s are scarce and I was lucky enough to have come across Region many years ago.

I'd recommend virtually any album by The Enid. I hope you enjoyed listening to some of the album rarities on this thread. Amazingly, I managed to find their entire discography on YouTube which I've posted here in album sequence. Also, there are no annoying ads on ProgArchives videos to interrupt and spoil the enjoyment of the great music. Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 06:38
^ Yes, awesome. Bit by bit. Region is a KILLER album. I did see Aerie Faerie Nonsense once at a record fair but kind of snobbed it off as a no-go.......Stupid me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 06:43
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Yes, awesome. Bit by bit. Region is a KILLER album. I did see Aerie Faerie Nonsense once at a record fair but kind of snobbed it off as a no-go.......Stupid me.

It's funny you should mention a record fair, because I bought both "In the Region of the Summer Stars" and "Aerie Faerie Nonsense" on the same day at a big record fair in Leicester. Maybe we were both at the same fair. Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 06:51
^ I lived in Melbourne, Victoria at the time. Would’ve been late-90’s I bought it.

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 10 2020 at 06:52
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 11:39
Surprised The Enid doesn't get more attention here.  I saw them a lot in the 80s, so my natural bias is towards this era which began with 'Something Wicked This Way Comes'.  Loved their performance at Stonehenge 84, what a night that was...

Edited by Rick1 - May 10 2020 at 11:39
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 11:50
Not the huge fan of the Enid the only albums i have heard is "Something Wicked This Way Comes" 
and " In The Region Of Summer Stars" 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 12:07
One of those bands that almost every prog fan has heard of but hasn't heard. I've heard some of their songs from the PROG magazine cd sampler and on online radio and liked what I've heard. Some of it sounds heavy on the symphony but light on the rock element(not a complaint necessarily just an observation). Although I haven't played it yet I do have six pieces on cd somewhere. I guess I should look for it. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 12:12
The Enid are one of those rare prog bands whose later albums are just as good as their early classic albums. "The Seed and the Sower" (1988) is my favourite album by The Enid, and one of the best prog albums of the 1980's, in my heavily-biased opinion. Smile

I just discovered today that "The Seed and the Sower" is also the name of a novel by the South African author Laurens van der Post (1906-1996), a close friend of Prince Charles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>