Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much time a day do you listen to music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musical_simpleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much time a day do you listen to music?
    Posted: March 07 2020 at 07:27
On average.

Curious to see what the numbers are.

Edited by musical_simpleton - March 07 2020 at 07:27
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 08:00
It varies, but it's never zero. There are always tunes in the car. So on work days the commute is 70-90 minutes. Then it earbuds on breaks, so in a 12.5 hour shift that's another 75 minutes. Tends to be a little more on days off. I'm going to estimate 2-3 hours a day minimum.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 08:03
About ten hours a day on average and around 10% of the music I listen to is prog, or one prog album a day on average. Smile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 08:49
1-3 albums on mondays-fridays, weekends 5-8 albums per day (depends on albums lenght).

Edited by Mortte - March 07 2020 at 08:50
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 08:53
avg. about an album / day.
days with no time, some days many hours.
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 09:08
At this point in time, I am listening to a lot of the progcentric radio shows.  I typically spend about 4-5 hours a day listening to them, averaged out and also purchase what I like of new music and music I missed here and there.  I will usually spend 3-4 hours a week listening to both new and old purchases.

Edited by Snicolette - March 15 2020 at 16:02
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 22:54
Maybe 4-5 hours on average. 1-2 hours in the car, and 3-4 hours at work on earbuds except on days where I have lots of meetings
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 23:34
4-7 hours daily methinks with more during the weekend.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 01:05
I'd say more often than not I listen to about 1-3 full album's worth of music a day. Sometimes it's the same album 3 times, sometimes it's the same artist with 3 different albums (the case lately with Beefheart, lol). Neat thread!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 01:10
Properly, about an album a day

Casually , when I'm getting ready for bed or to go to work (random play on Alexa ) then about an extra hour.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 01:24
It appears from the replies so far, that I listen to more music overall  (about 10 hours a day on average) than almost anyone here, and yet ironically, I listen to less prog than almost anyone here, as only around 6% of my CD collection could be classed as genuine bona fide prog. Smile
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 04:01
Two or three albums per day (post/alternative/progressive music, hard-rock/heavy-metal, classic-rock).
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 10:38
I work from home, I have my own company. So I have music on all the time, and I have a classical radio station on all night. The only time I don't listen to music is if I am transcribing Swedish film dialogue, interviews, etc. which requires cans and a lot of concentration.

I would say on average, that I probably listen to music for somewhere between 14 and 18 out of any 24 hours. And most of it is not prog.

Edited by LAM-SGC - March 08 2020 at 10:42
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 10:49
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

I work from home, I have my own company. So I have music on all the time, and I have a classical radio station on all night. The only time I don't listen to music is if I am transcribing Swedish film dialogue, interviews, etc. which requires cans and a lot of concentration.

I would say on average, that I probably listen to music for somewhere between 14 and 18 out of any 24 hours. And most of it is not prog.
Crikey! You listen to even more music than I do, and I thought I listened to a lot. Smile

Most of the music I listen to isn't prog either. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 08 2020 at 10:50
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 11:41
Some days I listen to music (mostly prog) for several hours, but other days I don't listen to any music at all. There isn't really any regularity to my music listening time, so it's difficult to work out an average with any sort of accuracy. But I suppose that an hour a day would be a reasonable guesstimate.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 11:54
I work from home often, so the music is playing usually from about 10am to about 6pm M-F, this is not critical listening so I probably soak in maybe 60%.....Weekends I'll spin records all day long, so I'll get 6-8 albums in a day. I play all media vinyl, CD, hi-rez files and reel to reel tapes even.

Edited by Catcher10 - March 08 2020 at 11:56
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 12:03
According to my last.fm account I averaged 62 scrobbles a day during 2019, 67 scrobbles a day in January, and 65 scrobbles a day in February.  I am basically listening to music from 6 am to 6 pm except when in meetings.  I'd say mostly prog, but also metal and classic rock with the occasional pop artist thrown in from time to time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 12:26
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

According to my last.fm account I averaged 62 scrobbles a day during 2019, 67 scrobbles a day in January, and 65 scrobbles a day in February.  I am basically listening to music from 6 am to 6 pm except when in meetings.  I'd say mostly prog, but also metal and classic rock with the occasional pop artist thrown in from time to time.
What's a scrobble? It sounds like a word game you play with song titles. Smile
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 13:38
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

a scrobble is a song/track.  Each song/track that I listen to is counted as 1 scrobble.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 13:55

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

a scrobble is a song/track.  Each song/track that I listen to is counted as 1 scrobble.
Thanks for the info. That's the first time I'd ever heard of a scrobble today. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>