Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Residents

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilithFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Residents
    Posted: March 07 2020 at 22:46
Hey! Stupid hyena fool here.

I am here to say this: Does anything enjoy The Residents? I just got into them, and I am listening to Duck Stab at the moment, I know that Primus and The Idiot Flesh had done covers of them, any albums besides DS that are good for a beginner?
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 22:57
Too many to count. They released over 70 albums! Just start at the beginning with Meet The Residents and then work your way through Third Reich n Roll up to Eskimo and Commercial Album. If you still can't get enough just keep going :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
LilithFC View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilithFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 23:39
Oh!! Thank you!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 09:40
You're welcome. I still haven't heard all their albums but they aren't all good. TCat has written some great reviews for this band here on PA.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 09:43
If you want to hear a great album that was released a little more recently, try Coochie Brake, another of their better albums, but released in 2011

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 10:18
An album that I like is "Not Available". It's a different type of album to "Duck Stab" in that it is more like a prog album rather than the weird little tunes of "Duck Stab" (or "Commercial Album"). It's the album that first got me into The Residents.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - March 08 2020 at 10:22
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 10:40
You should also look into the music of Snakefinger (Philip Charles Lithman - 17 June 1949 (London, UK) - 1 July 1987) who played guitar with The Residents, and whose solo albums have The Residents instrumentation.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 03:14
Recently I bought some late albums : Animal lover, Freak show and Demons dance alone. Still strange but very melodic. Really like them.
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 07:03
Are there some Residents' albums past 80s worth listening to, except the one already mentioned?
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 08:13
I don't have it (too expensive nowadays), but their 2007 album (2 CD) : Night of the hunters sounds promising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djrgRw_DXUY&list=PLDE809619D5FFFBFE&index=4
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 09:23
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

Are there some Residents' albums past 80s worth listening to, except the one already mentioned?

Most of the better ones were released post 2000:  Wormwood, Demons Dance Alone, Animal Lovers, Tweedles, Coochie Brake (I mentioned that one earlier), are probably their best out of the most recent ones.  Their most recent one "Intruders" was pretty good, but I have to hear it some more to decide if it is one of their best.  This only includes their proper albums, not including the many promos, EPs and fan releases that they have released, some of which were good.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 09:50
I like the "Mole Trilogy". but their most brilliant work is "Eskimo"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 10:25
Hmmm, I don't know where to start.  Check out Video Voodoo.  Probably still only available and out of print on VHS.  Their older stuff seriously bores me.  But the Molly Harvey area really caught my ear with 

HAVE A BAD DAY.

I think my favorite album to date is Animal Lover.  The song Inner Space always brings tears to my eyes.  

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 11 2020 at 10:38
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 10:51
I think the first albums I heard of The Residents was The Third Reich 'n Roll, and my first exposure was mu. I soon got Eskimo, and that made me a fan. I really loved Eskimo when I was still not really into any other The Residents albums.

The one I have returned to the most is Not Available. I also like Fingerprince, Duck Stab / Buster & Glen, Mark of the Mole and The Tunes of Two Cities a lot (rather surprised to see at PA that Mark of the Mole isn't higher rated). So mostly I have been into the 1977 through 1982 period.

An early exposure of mine to The Residents was via music videos:

As for some post 80s The Residents music, I haven't heard that much of the discography, but I liked Demons Dance Alone and Animal Lover considerably.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 08:47
My two favorites are Eskimo and Commercial Album but there discography is rather large and there's a lot I haven't heard.
The Prog Corner
Tendiwa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tendiwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 10:03
I haven't really listened to Residents for a couple years. Yesterday I've listened to Duck Stab / Buster & Glen again. Some really strong moments, but sometimes I get the feeling of them just trying to be as silly as possible. Maybe it needs some more getting used to. And I just finished listening to Not Available for the first time in 12 years according to Last.fm. I forgot how in its own deranged way this album is actually beautiful at moments.
 Post Reply Post Reply