Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mimedyr "Mínym" (2019)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mimedyr "Mínym" (2019)
    Posted: March 08 2020 at 08:10
Hello !
I'm looking for the names of the music composers for the album "Mínym" by the Norwegian group Mimedyr.
I did not find anything on the Internet. I discovered this group thanks to collaborator Ian's review (Tapfret).
Best regards
Joseph
Myhre View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myhre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 08:15
Hello Joseph! While browsing ProgArchives today I was very pleasantly surprised to find that my band Mimedyr had been mentioned several times, among them Tapfret's great review three days ago.
As both of you have noted there's not very much information about us on the internet, I will answer your questions if you have any.

The album Mínym was composed by the four members of the band:
Kjetil Lund (main vocals, bass, guitar additions)
Espen Christiansen (guitar)
Gunnar Myhre (keyboards, vocal additions)
Brynjar Nilsen Lid (drums)
I'll try to make an outline of our influences at the time. While making Mínym (2012-15) we were collectively inspired by the prog classics. A lot of Genesis, Gentle Giant, Yes, KC, you name it. Some of us listened a lot to the Canterbury Scene, jazz rock (Mahavishnu, later Soft Machine, Holdsworth), and also the RIO scene (Henry Cow, Art Bears, three of us traveled to London for the Linsay Cooper memorial concert). We also collectively like more modern bands like Opeth and Meshuggah.

Mínym was composed over a long period and had countless revisions and iterations. The themes came first, then it was molded around a compositional frame. There were several principles in play to make the album feel consistent, like an intent to have recurrent, recognizable themes progress throughout the album. This is partly inspired by a fascination for classical music.

I was (and still is) inspired by the astrophysicist Carl Sagan, especially his Cosmos series, and this gave me the idea of the story of Mínym. While you meet some familiar elements from science fiction; advanced AI, megastructures made of nebulae, Dyson spheres and self-replicating space probes, the main theme of Mínym follows a tragedy mirroring the destruction of the Great Library of Alexandria. It's a powerful story of how we as a civilization lost an immense amount of books of art, science and history. Mínym is one of many conscious space probes sent from a distant, advanced civilization in the Milky Way: A messenger who reaches Earth to explore, and to kindly invite any intelligent life it would meet to the galactic community. But Mínym is captured while hibernating and the humans won't listen to it's message.

So again, thanks for the attention. It is very inspiring to hear that people listen to our music. While Mínym was released in the shadows, we have been busy making more music without the dictation of a record company. Our next album Lokarsteg is almost completed.

Best regards,
Gunnar Myhre
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 09:51
Wow, I bet you weren't expecting to get an answer from the band themselves?

Just listening to the album btw, it's really good!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 11:08
Originally posted by Myhre Myhre wrote:

...As both of you have noted there's not very much information about us on the internet...

....While Mínym was released in the shadows, we have been busy making more music without the dictation of a record company...

I hope I didn't seem overly critical about the lack of exposure on Mínym. I'm definitely glad that your energies are focused on your art and its creation is exclusive the estate of the artists. I wouldn't have it any other way. I just feel it needs to be heard and it generates some funds to keep the ball rolling for future albums.

Looking forward to the next album. No hurry though. Every listen I find there is still a lot to unpack with Mínym.

One question though: any plans for a physical release of Mínym?

Edited by Tapfret - March 10 2020 at 11:11
Myhre View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myhre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 14:43
It's a valid criticism. After working many years on Mínym it was clear that we had to move on to the other projects we wanted to do with the band. We are perfectionists, but there just comes a point when we have to accept that "it is done", and release it. Our drive is to make something that we ourselves like, and that others might like as well: If it isn't found immediately it might be found in the future.

About physical releases: This is something we really want to do. A lot of work has already gone into the artwork, booklet and the like, and we've always had an LP release in mind. Problem is, Mínym is too long. It would require a double LP, which is something I don't think we'll do at this point. However our next album, Lokarsteg, is especially composed to fit on an LP.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 15:05

About physical releases: This is something we really want to do. A lot of work has already gone into the artwork, booklet and the like, and we've always had an LP release in mind. Problem is, Mínym is too long. It would require a double LP, which is something I don't think we'll do at this point. However our next album, Lokarsteg, is especially composed to fit on an LP.
You could...you could...put it on a CD?

Edited by Mascodagama - March 10 2020 at 15:07
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
joseph1962 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 16:37
Hello everyone and particularly Tapfret without whom I would not have known Mymedyr and Gunnar of course who simply and kindly decided to answer me (us) !
The story of Mínym reminds me of a man who came to Earth about 2,000 years ago. He too did not find an intelligent civilization and was also captured ! Men must be afraid of intelligence. They must prefer to fight (this is not my choice).
In any case, congratulations on your group work and I am happy to hear that there will be a musical follow-up ...
Thank you for the information !
Best regards
Joseph
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 20:13
^I don't review very often. I'm glad it was of benefit to someone.
Myhre View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myhre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 06:09
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I will discuss this with the rest of the band :) We would certainly love to have a physical release on whatever format people would like to get their hands on.

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

It is contributors like you that make PA the great resource it is. I'm glad I can give something back to the community after the countless reviews and forum threads I've read here over the years.

Originally posted by joseph1962 joseph1962 wrote:

The story of Mínym reminds me of a man who came to Earth about 2,000 years ago. He too did not find an intelligent civilization and was also captured !
A good observation. There's several historical events that inspired us to make the story of Mínym. For instance in the closing remarks of the title track:

Surface charred, weeping eyes 
Every nation chose their sides 
Then destroyed themselves 

Raven God, torn apart, 
no descendants to exalt. 
Who shall speak for us?

Lucid night, waves ashore 
Aberration, sharpened claws. 
Missing stewardship.

Mouthless bard, still astute 
Total silence, absolute. 
Communications lost

Here the "Raven God" is referring to a specific event in history when the french explorer Jean-François de La Pérouse met the Tlingit tribe in Alaska, and the tribesmen mistook Jean-François' ship for one of their gods when it first appeared on the coast. Luckily, the french explorer did not exploit the natives, but traded with them and left. As is true for the whole album, it has taken inspiration from Carl Sagan: The four verses of the closing remarks are connected to the thirteenth and last episode of Cosmos called "Who Speaks for Earth".

I felt it was appropriate to provide some of my/our thoughts about the concept/story of Mínym, but as I know I like to listen to music, an even more important quality is to be able to freely interpret and associate the music with whatever one wants.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 11:40

You could...you could...put it on a CD? <span style="font-size:10px">
</span>
I will discuss this with the rest of the band :) We would certainly love to have a physical release on whatever format people would like to get their hands on.

You can can't me in if you go the crowdfunding/pre-order route. And that's for both a Mínym CD and the new release.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 11:43

Hello everyone and particularly Tapfret without whom I would not have known Mymedyr and Gunnar of course who simply and kindly decided to answer me (us) !
The story of Mínym reminds me of a man who came to Earth about 2,000 years ago. He too did not find an intelligent civilization and was also captured ! Men must be afraid of intelligence. They must prefer to fight (this is not my choice).
In any case, congratulations on your group work and I am happy to hear that there will be a musical follow-up ...
Best regards
Joseph

I strongly encourage you to do a review as well. Generate a little more chatter for them.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 11:57

It's funny how new bands seem to have forgotten about them :P Definitely count me in for the CD, the album was on my AOTY list but I'm sure it would rank higher if I had spent some quality time with it.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 12:54

FWIW Ian your review of Squintaloo's last album turned me on to the band, and they have sold at least one CD as a result Thumbs Up
Bandcamp Profile
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 13:03

This is not exactly survey evidence, but I have the strong impression from PA and the other main prog forum at Progressive Ears that there is a good contingent of progheads for whom CD remains the preferred format. I still seem to buy rather a lot of them...
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 03:17
Thank you for your encouragement. Sometimes I think about it ...
I added the album (digital) on Discogs with the information received from Gunnar !
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 03:26
I felt it was appropriate to provide some of my/our thoughts about the concept/story of Mínym, but as I know I like to listen to music, an even more important quality is to be able to freely interpret and associate the music with whatever one wants.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's what I think too.
For example, with the album "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" and Rael !
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 03:29

Best regards
Joseph

I strongly encourage you to do a review as well. Generate a little more chatter for them.

Thank you for your encouragement. Sometimes I think about it ...
I added the album (digital) on Discogs with the information received from Gunnar !
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 03:41

Yes, that's what I think too.
For example, with the album "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" and Rael !
Myhre View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myhre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 04:30
Thanks a lot Joseph! Also nice to see that you've recently added Umpfel to Discogs. Anund and Andreas are friends of mine and Kjetil has sung for them at several occasions. I also played keyboards for them at a live performance once.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 03:16
Since 2010 (around) Scandinavian and particularly Norwegian progressive rock interests me a lot. I am rarely disappointed !
Thank you Gunnar for the music ...
 Post Reply Post Reply