Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What kind of Yes listener are you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: What are your preferences for Yes?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [2.06%]
6 [6.19%]
7 [7.22%]
12 [12.37%]
7 [7.22%]
25 [25.77%]
7 [7.22%]
31 [31.96%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What kind of Yes listener are you?
    Posted: March 08 2020 at 09:31
Inspired by the Genesis poll I thought I would do one for Yes.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 05 2024 at 09:54
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 09:46
I like it all, I`m a bit of a fanboy. I think Union is the weakest, but even thatīs not totally bad. And Keys, Magnification & Fly From Here are really good latealbums!
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 10:09
I'm also a fanboy.  The closest option is "I like it all", but there are a couple that I don't like as much, like "Open Your Eyes" and the last two studio albums which I usually don't count as Yes albums anyway.  Other than that, I enjoy most of the others immensely. 

ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 10:23
I think everything from the debut to 90125 (yes, including 90125) is great, and then from Big Generator on they were a bit inconsistent but had a few good albums. Yes had a lot of members leaving and returning and a deliberate comeback to their old sound unlike Genesis, so it's not always easy to pick a cut-off point for when they stopped being enjoyable.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 10:52
That cut off point for me was Drama....though I don't play Tormato much, I do like most of Drama.
The last lp that really connected with me was GFTO.
When I play Yes...it's the classics ..Yes, Fragile, CTTE, TFTO, Relayer
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 11:02
Other - not a fan at all of the first two. For me it is 71 to 73 - The Yes Album, Fragile, CTTE, TFTO. Then Rick left and for me that was the end of Yes. Nothing after TFTO held my interest,especially the increase in fusion and funk elements when Moraz joined.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 11:24
Voted nothing after Drama but I do like the live stuff on Keys to Ascension.
PROGMATIC
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 11:49

Other

How often i spin: ****** = quite often  - ** = a few time a year  - () less than once a year  

**** Yes (1969)

**** Time and a Word (1970)

**** The Yes Album (1971)

****** Fragile (1971)

***** Close to the Edge (1972)

***** Tales from Topographic Oceans (1973)

**** Relayer (1974)

***** Going for the One (1977)

***** Tormato (1978)

** Drama (1980)

** 90125 (1983)

** Big Generator (1987)

**** Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (1989)

** Union (1991)

(*) Talk (1994)

** Keys to Ascension (delvis live, 1996)

** Keys to Ascension 2 (delvis live, 1997)

() Open Your Eyes (1997)

() The Ladder (1999)

(*) Magnification (2001)

Edited by tamijo_II - March 08 2020 at 11:51
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 12:06
Hi,

I liked RELAYER ... but when at that time RW started trashing the band and TFTO, I gave up ... there are too many bands out there doing MAGNIFICENT work that deserve the attention and are not getting it because a jerk of a player has no respect for his fellow musicians ... and I did not want to support that.  

That said I did see RW again with JA a couple of years ago, and he is very good, and knows what he is doing, but I would think that at his age, he would be doing a piano concerto #12 and a symphony pathetique with his various classic hand variations on the keyboards ... a different one for each sound, of course!

All in all, there are far better folks that deserve more attention, that even have an OSCAR in their closet ... like Ryuichi Sakamoto, Vangelis ... and other musicians ... and I don't feel the need to listen to RW at all, or anything YES has done since. I did not like the hit after it and their later material at all!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 12:13
Yes to everything, because I like Magnification (2001) and Fly from Here (2011) too. Smile
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 12:30
Occasional Roundabout listener.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 12:46
I'm pretty much in the up to Union but not much after that group. I love 90125, but the next two after it are passable but not great imo. The very first album is good but too many covers.

But Time and a Word through 90125 I pretty much like everything.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 13:13

Other. None of the other options seem to properly describe what kind of Yes listener I am.

I am somewhat of a Yes fan. I have all the studio albums from "The Yes Album" to "90125" (I also have "Big Generator" as part of a 5 disc set, but I have yet to accept it as part of my collection), which I like all except "Tales From Topographic Oceans" (which I have described as the musical equivalent of painting by numbers). I regard "Close To The Edge", "Fragile", and "Relayer" as masterpieces. I have little to no interest in anything after "90125" because I think I have enough Yes music, and would prefer to add music from other artists to my collection (except for VdGG, I tend to avoid new music from old artists).

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 13:17
I only listen to Yessongs at this point.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 13:18
Originally posted by tamijo_II tamijo_II wrote:

Other

How often i spin: ****** = quite often  - ** = a few time a year  - () less than once a year  

**** Yes (1969)  ()

**** Time and a Word (1970) ()

**** The Yes Album (1971) *****

****** Fragile (1971) ******

***** Close to the Edge (1972) *****

***** Tales from Topographic Oceans (1973) *

**** Relayer (1974) **

***** Going for the One (1977) ()

***** Tormato (1978) ()

** Drama (1980) **

** 90125 (1983) ***

** Big Generator (1987) ()

**** Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (1989) ****

** Union (1991) **

(*) Talk (1994) *

** Keys to Ascension (delvis live, 1996) **

** Keys to Ascension 2 (delvis live, 1997) **

() Open Your Eyes (1997) ()

() The Ladder (1999) ()

(*) Magnification (2001) ******

Symphonic Live ****** 

FFH ** 

HE () 

Answer in GREEN above.  

Edited by tdfloyd - March 08 2020 at 13:19
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 13:38
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I only listen to Yessongs at this point.

Wow, that really surprises me.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 19:26
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

I'm pretty much in the up to Union but not much after that group. I love 90125, but the next two after it are passable but not great imo. The very first album is good but too many covers.

But Time and a Word through 90125 I pretty much like everything.

There are just as many covers on time and a word though(both have two).
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 19:30
Other. I never listen to the first album neither Open your Eyes, Union, Heaven & Earth. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 19:40
Up to GFTO
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 20:23
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Voted nothing after Drama but I do like the live stuff on Keys to Ascension.

Same---but thought Magnification and Fly from here had some redeeming moments.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>