FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCovid-19 and the madness of crowds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5960616263 73>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 07:03
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

For the record, I don't think I have, or at least in recent memory, called anyone a name on the internet. I also try not to talk differently to people from behind a keyboard than I would to their face, Its a standard I try to hold myself to.

I will gladly discuss any issue with people and it never upsets me or makes me feel particularly heated. If the discussion becomes name calling or blanket accusations such as "your a _____ ", or "you called me a ____", then I would say the conversation is over and continuing on is not time well spent.
You're always a gentleman on the net, John. Don't let The Doctor's outburst throw you.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 07:11
Thanks Steve G, it didn't throw me at all.
EDIT: Different people can draw the line differently at what they call 'government tyranny'. Some people call clean air and water standards for industries "government tyranny".
I have friends from Poland and Lithuania who were raised under Soviet domination, I also visited Soviet East Germany. In respect to governments like that, I would not use the term 'government tyranny' too lightly.
And I would bet that Steve G remembers when Lester Maddox liked to throw that term around.

Edited by Easy Money - December 27 2020 at 07:24
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 07:31

EDIT: Different people can draw the line differently at what they call 'government tyranny'. Some people call clean air and water standards for industries "government tyranny".
I have friends from Poland and Lithuania who were raised under Soviet domination, I also visited Soviet East Germany. In respect to governments like that, I would not use the term 'government tyranny' too lightly.
And I would bet that Steve G remembers when Lester Maddox liked to throw that term around.
True. When I envision "government tyranny", it's things like the Nuremberg Laws and Gulags that pop into my head. Not mask wearing.

Edited by SteveG - December 27 2020 at 07:38
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 07:57
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

@lazland: Great posting, some valuable points there... I'd say though that this is just one side of a field of tension. The people of Scotland voted to remain within the UK and within the EU, and now are torn between the two, with some wanting still more regional powers, one of which could be the possibility to rejoin the EU. In Germany the handling of Covid is a mess lilke anywhere else, but many Germans are convinced that the biggest mess is regional governments creating a jungle of regional rules that nobody understands and hardly anyone likes following different rules when they cross a regional border, nor do people tend to know what exactly holds on one side and on the other side of such a border. Still I'm very sure that all the German Laender would still vote to be part of a unified Germany with a central government. The jury is out on whether the majority would also prefer Covid rules to be more centralised, but from my observations I'd think so. What about local democracy when there's a majority for centralisation?

Furthermore, there always have to be borders for where rules hold, and inclusion can be as much of a problem as exclusion. There may be a part of your Little Rock, Arkansas in which black and white people live happily together and detest segregation, but they'd be forced under the general Little Rock rule... the problems that you want to avoid on the large scale are still there on the small scale.

A general ethical issue is whether some general principles such as freedom of speech and rejection of racism should overwrite majority decsions, be they in Little Rock, Wales, the UK, Germany or the US as a whole. I'm not saying I know the answers...

Thanks Lewian. The Scottish question of independence and membership of the EU, and to a far lesser extent the same debate in Wales where I live, is a strange one.

My argument as to the remoteness of central government holds here. For someone living in the Scottish Highlands, Westminster government might as well be on another planet. Ironically, both Scottish devolved government in Edinburgh and Welsh in Cardiff Bay are also seen as being remote and disconnected. Ask anyone who cares about these matters in Gwynedd, North Wales what they think about the administration in Cardiff, they will, by an overwhelming majority, speak ill of them. What a lot of people do not realise is that the government model in the devolved countries of the UK is exactly the same as its “parent” in Westminster - very centralised with power and prestige exclusively in the national capitals.

I was, for a little while, a member of Plaid Cymru, the Welsh nationalist party, despite not being remotely Welsh. I was attracted by the idea of government at its lowest possible level. However, Plaid, as with the SNP in Scotland, are committed to not just independence, but also the independent country rejoining the EU. And that is where I get off the bus. I simply cannot understand why, intellectually, you are unhappy with being ruled by an unaccountable elite in London, but are more than content with being ruled by one in Brussels. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Actually, though, there is a far simpler reason why a majority of people in the Welsh speaking areas of Wales (a minority of the country itself) vote for the nationalists. It is because they hate the bloody English, and I have no doubt it is repeated in many parts of Scotland, and I, for one, got extremely tired of the petty nationalism and small mindedness demonstrated.

I find your points about Germany interesting, if nothing else because the lower mortality rates and better testing there have been held up by people in the UK as a glowing example of how regional government is better at coping with such emergencies. Go figure, eh?

Your final sentence also beautifully exemplifies the problem we have here. Should some general principles override localised preferences or, in this case, prejudices? I suspect that we will never have a general consensus on this, and, believe me, it is something that I do struggle with both emotionally and intellectually.

As an example of what I was trying to get at, the wife and I watched a good film last night, called Clemency, a powerful study of a black female prison warden in America whose job it is to prepare and oversee the execution of prisoners on Death Row. As we all know, the majority of such unfortunates there are black and dirt poor. I don’t want this to become a debate about capital punishment (I am implacably opposed and campaigned for some years as a member of Amnesty International), but the point here is that for all of the laws passed as general principles to get rid of morally indefensible rules such as the Jim Crow laws and slavery before it, they don’t seem to have made that much difference in terms of the quality of the lives of the people they were designed to help. You can pass all the national laws you like, but if they make no difference on the ground, well if I were a victim of economic and social deprivation, I would quite reasonably ask what the point of said laws was. My alternative is a more localised and nuanced approach which would persuade and educate, as opposed to bullying and imposing, but I do genuinely appreciate the difficulties this brings, and the moral and political choice you highlight.

To close, a very interesting discussion, which does bring out the best in us, at least.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 07:58
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

True. When I envision "government tyranny", it's things like the Nuremberg Laws and Gulags that pop into my head. Not mask wearing.

I agree. We should all be careful in our use of such language.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 04:24
Just been for a test as someone my wife works with has come down with it on Christmas Day. Not the most pleasant experience sticking a swab up your nose in a freezing cold car park. No symptoms so far so we should hopefully be ok.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 11:53
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Just been for a test as someone my wife works with has come down with it on Christmas Day. Not the most pleasant experience sticking a swab up your nose in a freezing cold car park. No symptoms so far so we should hopefully be ok.

Went for a test myself today and can only agree with your take on the hideous experience. I started feeling a bit rough yesterday and due to various family shielding reasons i had to check it out. In any other circumstances i would have just put it down to 'seasonal exhaustion' (i dont mean over-eating and drinking, i mean a year of running an estate, farm and garden with no holiday and reduced staff..) but just cant take any chances with my ageing in-laws, sister in law who is recieving treatment for cancer and my own slightly compromised health (chronic.. but relatively mild.. lung condition). Hope both our results come back negative!

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 12:02
I hope that both of your tests come back negative.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 12:10
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Went for a test myself today and can only agree with your take on the hideous experience. I started feeling a bit rough yesterday and due to various family shielding reasons i had to check it out. In any other circumstances i would have just put it down to 'seasonal exhaustion' (i dont mean over-eating and drinking, i mean a year of running an estate, farm and garden with no holiday and reduced staff..) but just cant take any chances with my ageing in-laws, sister in law who is recieving treatment for cancer and my own slightly compromised health (chronic.. but relatively mild.. lung condition). Hope both our results come back negative!
Fingers crossed!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 12:28
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Thanks, yes mine came back a few hours ago, negative luckily.. phew..

Have you heard yet Chopper?

By the way, Happy Birthday Steve!Big smileClapBeer

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 13:13
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Thanks, yes mine came back a few hours ago, negative luckily.. phew..

Have you heard yet Chopper?

By the way, Happy Birthday Steve!Big smileClapBeer

Great news, and thank you very much Big smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 13:54
Yes indeed. Happy Birthday Laz!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 15:22

Yes indeed. Happy Birthday Laz!

Thank you, Steve. Just rounding off the night with a lovely single malt given to me by the mother in law.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 05:47
Okey dokey then. Here’s a question for the more scientifically minded or qualified amongst you. It is a genuine question from a proudly self-identifying layman who only picks up scientific knowledge from the stuff he reads.

Is it at all possible that the faster spreading variant of Covid is as the result of the old (and my favourite) “law of unintended consequences”?

By this, I mean; Western governments have spent months now pushing their people into and out of varying restrictions and lockdowns in order to suppress the transmission of the virus, or as Boris puts it, “putting our foot on the throat of the virus”. There has been an almost obsessive and relentless primary concern about infection rates and infected numbers, and the need to keep these down.

Is it at all possible that the virus (perfectly naturally and in line with usual evolutionary effects, given that it does not consciously think) has evolved a new mutation successfully in order to spread more quickly, more effectively, and by targeting a larger spread of humanity, in particular the younger personages? Has it done this as a perfectly natural evolutionary reaction to efforts made by us to suppress its spread?

In other words, had we left the bloody thing alone to spread quietly in its original form, would there have been ultimately less damage in terms of infection rates and transmissions?

Have we, by our efforts to suppress something which biologically and naturally exists to spread, in a wholly unnatural manner encouraged it to mutate into a form which more effectively achieves its biological purpose?

This is a serious question on my part, and not a piss take. I have not read this anywhere, and I am surprised that I haven’t, because it strikes this layman as a perfectly natural and logical conclusion to make.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 06:48
^ I don't know much about science, but I do know a few things about wishful thinking.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 06:57

^ I don't know much about science, but I do know a few things about wishful thinking.

Perish the thought, dear chap!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 07:36
I recall watching a TV program on infections and viruses some years ago that stated that mutations were the results of efforts to contain the virus or infection actually being successful. Viruses need to survive and as long as they prosper, there is no need for them to mutate. Now, how much of this is undisputed fact I can't say, but perhaps it proves that the lockdowns were effective.

Edited by SteveG - December 30 2020 at 07:45
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 08:06

I recall watching a TV program on infections and viruses some years ago that stated that mutations were the results of efforts to contain the virus or infection actually being successful. Viruses need to survive and as long as they prosper, there is no need for them to mutate. Now, how much of this is undisputed fact I can't say, but perhaps it proves that the lockdowns were effective.

Absolutely, it does perhaps show the lockdowns to have been effective, but, in my opinion, in the long run, causing more harm than good in terms of the virus as well as the economic, social, and mental costs.

If the virus had not needed to mutate in this way, then it would not have done so, and alternative strategies to deal with lurgy when it was a plodding, rather than super as it is now, spreader might have been better. To be fair, I have consistently argued for this, so it is not merely the benefit of hindsight.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 08:18

Absolutely, it does perhaps show the lockdowns to have been effective, but, in my opinion, in the long run, causing more harm than good in terms of the virus as well as the economic, social, and mental costs.

If the virus had not needed to mutate in this way, then it would not have done so, and alternative strategies to deal with lurgy when it was a plodding, rather than super as it is now, spreader might have been better. To be fair, I have consistently argued for this, so it is not merely the benefit of hindsight.
But it seems like a case of 6 of 1 or a half dozen of the other. The virus was a super spreader before mutating. If left alone it would have had the same bad outcome and hence, no need to mutate.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 08:28

But it seems like a case of 6 of 1 or a half dozen of the other. The virus was a super spreader before mutating. If left alone it would have had the same bad outcome and hence, no need to mutate.

And that is where we diverge somewhat. A more effective virus means more people get infected, and at a faster rate, and it is clearly becoming better at spreading despite restrictions and lockdowns.

Beforehand, it did not appear to be that viral, excuse the pun. I quoted Qatar’s extensive testing regime before, and that suggested only 11% of the population had caught the thing, and that does not strike me as being atypical.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5960616263 73>