Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When your fav neo band stopped being neo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When your fav neo band stopped being neo.
    Posted: March 14 2020 at 09:52
Originally posted by Clepsydra Clepsydra wrote:

GREAT Topic!

I think 90% of the great neo bands from the early 90's and late 80's went Prog Metal and that is a SHAME!!!
Arena - Prog Metal, Marillion - "popish?" I could go on and on. As a Neo Lover, I am great disappointed!

I disagree 
Arena sounds heavier than other neo bands, more guitar oriented, but not heavy enough to be progressive metal. 

Marillion popish? catchy and melodic does not mean popish Then Slayer's South of Heaven is a pop album. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 09:36
Nay, it's a convenient tag.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clepsydra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 09:25
GREAT Topic!

I think 90% of the great neo bands from the early 90's and late 80's went Prog Metal and that is a SHAME!!!
Arena - Prog Metal, Marillion - "popish?" I could go on and on. As a Neo Lover, I am great disappointed!

Edited by Clepsydra - March 14 2020 at 09:26
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 23:32
Genesis were a big influence on the neo bands(maybe the biggest influence). Even Steve Hackett's early solo career was an influence apparently before he got into different things(including classical guitar, pop and GTR). Different bands assimilated those influences differently though. For example while IQ and Marillion were both influenced by Genesis they didn't sound like each other and neither did the other neo bands even though it's obvious they were approaching things in a similar(ie more cutting edge way)than the classic prog bands.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 22:58
I like the fact that this topic addresses how many bands that were originally Neo have changed their style over the years. For me, it is a matter of whether I like the music or not, no matter what genre it is put into. Every Neo band I have ever heard, and over multiple albums, has reminded me of Genesis one way or another. It seems the style may have developed because Genesis abandoned their classic sound and it was so cool, other newer bands picked up on it. Then they themselves progressed (or regressed) over time.  I have no complaint about any of this.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 01:16
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ you haven't been here long enough 
LOL

Totally irrelevant.

as is your listWink

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 01:06

Most respected band??? Hhhmmm.

For me:
1. Jethro Tull
2. Mike Oldfield
3. Camel
4. Pink Floyd
5. Tangerine Dream

Respect? Strange word to use I think? And by whom? In symphonic prog circles...KC/Floyd possibly get most kudos because I reckon their late 60's efforts had great influence on the better music that was to come....but hey, I give respect to any band or musician who says...fook you, if I want to bombastically noodle for half an hour and produce a lengthy tone poem, then I will...thats why I love the new IQ so much and the flower kings, lengthy in your face prog of seventies flavour with a twist of the modern mixed in...
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 19:24
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

LOL

Totally irrelevant.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 17:03
LOL
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 03:44
Most respected band??? Hhhmmm.

For me:
1. Jethro Tull
2. Mike Oldfield
3. Camel
4. Pink Floyd
5. Tangerine Dream
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 01:13
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Perhaps we should have had. Genesis like Neo prog, Yes like neo prog, ELP like Neo prog, Crimson like neo prog, Tull like neo prog and mixture neo prog?

The Watch (for Genesis)
Glass Hammer (for Yes)
Cairo (for ELP)
(not sure on Tull)

without checking I'm pretty sure that only The Watch are classed as 'Neo'. The other two are Symphonic. It goes back to an understanding of Genesis music. Banks and Collins didn't like them being lumped with ELP and Yes (Collins has always made his disdain of those bands very obvious) . It's ironic therefore that the genre that is most 'despised' round here was inspired by arguably the most respected band!

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 01:06
Thats a good way yo really get the full half hour for your arguments...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 01:05
Perhaps we should have had. Genesis like Neo prog, Yes like neo prog, ELP like Neo prog, Crimson like neo prog, Tull like neo prog and mixture neo prog?
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 22:40
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

There's not really such a style as separate neo-prog.

It's just a new wave of bands doing classic symphonic prog (and some of them doing it extremely well).

And some bands do evolve their styles - look at Strawbs, who went from bluegrass to prog folk to glam rock to symphonic to God knows what and back again.

+1

A few logical "sup genres" needed to describe and separate what prog was and is, Neo is not one of them.   
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 16:35
Where did you put Synergy, Paul?  LOL
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 15:22

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Neo-Prog (or new prog) has always been a chronological definition for me, meaning most post-1970's prog bands. That's why I still consider Porcupine Tree to be a Neo-Prog band, even though I know most PA members here disagree with me on that point. Smile

Okaaaay.....

It made things a lot simpler just to have two prog sub-genres - Classic Prog and Neo-Prog - when I ran my own music site. Smile

They were just two sub-genres we had out of a total of 200 sub-genres. Obviously, that didn't include Rap/Hip-Hop, as that's not technically classed as music. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 10 2020 at 15:25
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 14:45

Neo-Prog (or new prog) has always been a chronological definition for me, meaning most post-1970's prog bands. That's why I still consider Porcupine Tree to be a Neo-Prog band, even though I know most PA members here disagree with me on that point. Smile

Okaaaay.....
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 14:37
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Porcupine Tree stopped being Neo-Prog for me with the release of their Progressive Metal "In Absentia" album in 2002, but I still like them. Smile

Porcupine Tree were never neo, they started as a one-man mushroom psych band, then a couple of Pink Floyd type albums, then he found the PT sound.

I agree. I never regarded PT as neo prog. The really early stuff seemed to have more in common with the trippy ambient electronica of the early 90's. Not sure how I would classify albums like Signify (which is actually my second favourite PT album after In Absentia)

Exactly, the very early stuff was an in-joke with SW and his mates, and a couple of tracks appeared on pysch compilations alongside old and new psych bands. And was very popular with the festival, ambient, chill outl mob.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 14:16
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 14:07
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

There's not really such a style as neo-prog.

Pretty much what Martin Orford says.

To me, it's just a label for "band that openly celebrates its love for Lamb/Trick-era Genesis and gives no fooks."

As Richard says, symph sans the fantasy and science fiction themes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>