Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes - Union

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes - Union
    Posted: March 12 2020 at 12:05
I was just going to focus on one thing, but F it I like the album!

Why, I hear no one ask?

That and ABWH came out at a time when I was just getting into the band and didn't know much about them. The politics meant nothing to me. I loved ABWH (which has similar issues tbf) and when this came out I devoured it. To this day I've enjoyed the energy of the songs (in spite of the production approach), Jon's performance, and the upbeat vibe overall. Same as ABWH. 

This was a treasured cassette for many years

Now, if we ignore the stupidity of the project and the studio politics (easy to do when you weren't involved) the songs are actually quite interesting. Again, as with ABWH, it's pretty clear that (IMHO) they are mostly Howe licks or Jon Anderson compositions. Angkor Wat is interesting and moody, Silent Talking is fantastic, Miracle of Life is everything good anbout the Rabin era with some added classic instrumentation (just a touch). The More We Live is a Squire classic.

As for the production. While it sounds like it taken over by some coked up LA producer, the quality always struck me as decent. The parts are clear and its not shrill or overbearing. Most of all Tony's bass sound absolutely fantastic. What inspired me to post, really, was just this simple question:

Was he playing the drunstick bass? It sounds like it. Some of it may be plectrium work on his Musicman but there are definitely some tracks where it sounds like the funk fingers drumstick thing he does (as opposed to the Chapman Stick)?

Union is an album I enjoy and I don't care about the silly politics or studio shenannigans though I can certainly understand why Rick Wakeman or Bill Bruford (if he's even on the album) would.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 13:12
Go home signs of the apocalypse. You're drunk.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 13:12
To me Union has been the weakest Yes album. Really haven`t listened it as much as for example Fragile or the Yes Album, but many times anyway. I think it just lacks of the really great songs. Also don´t like much production in it. But not totally bad album, as any Yes album isn´t.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 13:30
Great album. Shock to the System, Lift me Up, Miracle of life... all killer songs. One of the lowest rated Yes releases on PA... hooey!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 13:31
Ill-advised melodies of 1991.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 14:19
I picked it up used on cd about 15 years ago....kept it for a while then sold it.
Not bad music...just not very good music.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 14:32
I'd rather listen to it than Cans and Brahms. Fragile is a fantastic album but the solo pieces are largely boring (with some exceptions). Would rather hear band material.

Union isn't perfect by any stretch, but neither are the songs especially bad. In fact there are only couple of weaker tunes and they are by no means terrible. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 14:46
I enjoy it quite a bit but I'll admit at least part of that is for nostalgia reasons. However, other than the way in which the thing is assembled and produced I never really understood the hate this album received. The same goes for Big Generator and to a lesser extent Talk. I actually like the variety on this album. For me personally I would place it just a notch below the ABWH album. For me much of it is really not that different. I think if the Yes west and ABWH songs on this were released as separate albums(kind of like KTA 1 & 2)people wouldn't complain nearly as much. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 12 2020 at 14:47
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 18:26
Union’s one of just a couple of Yes albums I haven’t heard or bought yet. I’ve never heard a Yes album I didn’t like to some degree, so I’m sure I’ll get it eventually.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2020 at 18:43
It has a few gems, with a lot of other gunk in between.

3 stars It was so tempting with its pretty and retro Roger Dean art, stunning roster of players, titillating samples leaked on FM radio. We wanted it to be good. How could it not be? The math added up, it should have worked.

And it's not that Union was a bad album-- there are some truly excellent passages and the studio sound is, of course, pristine. It's not even that there's too much of it. Fourteen thematically unrelated cuts spanning over one hour ~ the ear gapes, the mind reels, the palate becomes taxed ~ but it is progressive rock, after all. That's entirely legal. No, those aren't what suppressed Yes' 1991 release. It is a clash of flavors. Or as they say in the culinary arts, "flavor profiles". Mexican and Malaysian food could be great together; On the other hand, the combination might not work at all. At moments we do get the feeling most of these fellas never even saw each other while this thing was being cobbled together.

Of course beggars can't be choosers and any new music by this beloved trio was welcome, but if these eight masters of their craft had focused more on making a real record ~ a thoughtful and distilled version of this music while tossing out anything irrelevant ~ we might've gotten something good. Very good. Like Drama was, or 90125. Occasionally taking their production cues from what Genesis had done so eloquently and successfully in the eighties, the extended Yes family does make a strong effort in what I suspect a few of them felt was their best recording in a long time. Steve Howe's great riffage and some sweet group vocals save 'I Would Have Waited Forever', a prime example of prog's answer to the lovelorn Van Hagar sounds of the time. Acoustic solo 'Masquerade' earned Howe a Grammy nomination for best rock instrumental, but Squire/Rabin/Anderson pieces 'Lift Me Up', 'Without Hope..', and 'Saving My Heart' are increasingly cloying and sugary, typical of the stuff Rabin and Anderson were pitching to the market then.

Thankfully like a deep breath after drowning is Trevor Rabin's 'Miracle of Life', a perfectly good prog/pop bit with fine performances followed by equally good ABWH number 'Silent Talking', and Squire's brilliant and infectious 'The More We Live-Let Go' is one of his best songs and a highpoint here. Extraneous 'Angkor Wat' and crappy 'Dangerous' made it to the final cut, and though fractured, 'Holding On' is what could've been another tiny piece of a much better, cohesive record. A couple of lukewarm attempts at Gabrielesque world music for 'Evensong' and 'Take the Water to the Mountain' finish this exasperating release.

What can one say about the Union period. It was a promising but ungratifying phase. Maybe it's why Rush was able to survive intact all those years: There was only three of them.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 04:50
I know it was a painful experience for the band but it does have some good tracks on it. I'd rank it about Open Your Eyes and Heaven and Earth at least.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 06:04
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Go home signs of the apocalypse. You're drunk.
LOL Thank you TF, that made my day! Clap

Edited by SteveG - March 13 2020 at 06:05
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 06:13
Is it just me or is Tony Levin just boring?
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 09:19
The two tracks that save "Union" from being boring are "Miracle of Life" and "The More We Live-Let Go".  The rest is a bit mediocre.  But its not a complete failure like "Open Your Eyes" or the two latest pieces of garbage albums (Heaven and Earth and Fly From Here) which is actually just a bad imposter pop-clone band.  I would place "Union" above those albums any day, but "Union" is far from their best effort.  If its a nostalgia thing, then I completely understand your feelings, however.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 09:32
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

No response on this question. He must really be boring.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 09:35

No response on this question. He must really be boring.

Maybe the question is boring?  Tongue

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 09:37
Ermm Yeah, it's not as interesting as all my other topics.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 09:48
Thumbs Up

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 10:08
Yeah, we can't hit a homer every time at bat. Shocked
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 14:06
It's got a few really great songs that I really love, just as most of their albums besides Fragile and Close to the Edge (only these songs are shorter). I really love Shock to the System, The More we Live, and I Would have waited Forever. However, it bothers me to know that Steve Howe is actually barely featured on the ABWH tracks, his parts having been replaced by some session musician (I guess Wakeman might have suffered from some of this too).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>