Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nektar: Manna from Prog Heaven

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nektar: Manna from Prog Heaven
    Posted: March 13 2020 at 15:34
Take a trip back in time for a JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EYE with the music of Nektar! They're manna from prog heaven. You're just A TAB IN THE OCEAN away from hearing SOUNDS LIKE THIS as we REMEMBER THE FUTURE of prog together. Nektar are a DOWN TO EARTH British band based in Germany. Their music is constantly being reinvented rather than RECYCLED with the release of each new album. MAGIC IS A CHILD in the wonderful world of prog, which is as magical and mystical as THE MAN IN THE MOON.  Money spent on a Nektar album is money well-spent, so you won't be like THE PRODIGAL SON of biblical proverb. The EVOLUTION of Nektar reads like A BOOK OF DAYS. Take A SPOONFUL OF TIME now and travel back nearly half a century in the TIME MACHINE for Nektar's first album. The band had no dreams of MEGALOMANIA. They simply wanted to show THE OTHER SIDE of proggy Space Rock. Smile

I've been a big fan of  Nektar ever since I first discovered them on ProgArchives in 2010/11.

Which is your favourite Nektar album? At the moment, Journey to the Centre of the Eye is my favourite Nektar album, but that may change when I've listened to all of their albums. I'll post as many of Nektar's full albums here as I can find on YouTube in the coming days ahead. As you may have heard, Nektar have a new album out this year. Smile

Nektar's Albums

5 stars 1974: Sunday Night at the London Roundhouse - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzBAqTmmEoWnP0QMOa_xqJP2

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 14 2021 at 03:12
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 16:33
Hi,

Love Nektar and miss Roye terribly ... just heard a bit on the tube in the new version, and I almost cried ... he is really missed and I think that Nektar really needed to find/look for a singer that could do a bit of Roye or close enough to his energy ... 

The last album of theirs I got was the two live ones (Roundhouse and Live in NY), but if I have to choose a masterpiece, it is RECYCLED ... because it is a magnificent design even if not a bit of an assault, but the band was ready to unload and they did ... but it is hard to not like/appreciate REMEMBER THE FUTURE and A TAB IN THE OCEAN, and I have always liked their first album, though some folks think it has not aged well ... it's still nice!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 16:54
^^ I've liked every Nektar album I've ever heard so far, including the two Live albums you mentioned. Thumbs Up

Journey to the Centre of the Eye (1971)

A Tab in the Ocean (1972)

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 17:05
Oddly I was introduced to Nektar by George Jefferson..........I was a big fan of All In the Family and The Jefferson's. Watching George dance to Show Me the Way still cracks me up.

I do enjoy Nektar with Remember the Future being my fav.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 17:20
^^ I Remember the Future Sounds Like This.....

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 13 2020 at 17:24
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 18:52
I like Nektar alot, their epic sound, their heavy rock element and highly overlooked. To me they are as effective to my ears as Rush, Kansas, Camel and Saga.

Very entertaining, theatrical and boastfull - great instrument interplay and highly gifted composing
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 19:30
I've given Nektar way more attention than most bands and not generally been well rewarded.  I love Remember the Future and a few tracks here and there from early albums, but they've mostly disappointed me
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 03:10
^^ It's a pity Nektar aren't nearly as well-known in England as they are in Germany. I've never managed to find any of their albums in our record stores. To be honest though, I'd never heard of Nektar before I went online in 2010.

Sunday Night at London Roundhouse (1974)

Live in New York 1974

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 07:45
I suppose Tab In The Ocean....but as a band they have always been hit or miss for me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 08:41
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I suppose Tab In The Ocean....but as a band they have always been hit or miss for me.
All six of the Nektar albums I've posted here so far have been positive hits for me, although I still have another eleven Nektar albums to listen to yet. Smile

Down to Earth (1974)

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 10:04
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^^ It's a pity Nektar aren't nearly as well-known in England as they are in Germany. I've never managed to find any of their albums in our record stores. To be honest though, I'd never heard of Nektar before I went online in 2010.

I have 4 of their albums on vinyl. Two of them I bought in the late 70's, both Recycled and Remember the Future. I also have Magic Is A Child and the new one Time Machine.

Tough to find in the bins u are correct, they are picked up quickly. I also know that some of the store owners keep these type of albums for their own collections....so they never make it to the sales floor.

Try online sellers, on Discogs there look to be many VG/VG+ copies of Recycled for example.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 10:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I have 4 of their albums on vinyl. Two of them I bought in the late 70's, both Recycled and Remember the Future. I also have Magic Is A Child and the new one Time Machine.

Tough to find in the bins u are correct, they are picked up quickly. I also know that some of the store owners keep these type of albums for their own collections....so they never make it to the sales floor.

Try online sellers, on Discogs there look to be many VG/VG+ copies of Recycled for example.
There's a 5-CD box set of classic Nektar albums available too, titled "The Essential Nektar" Smile

Recycled (1975)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 14 2020 at 10:16
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 10:14
I only have two Nektar albums: "Journey to the Centre of the Eye" and "Nektar" (compilation). However, "Journey to the Centre of the Eye" is one of my all-time favourite albums, and is my favourite Psychedelic/Space Rock album. Not only is it musically great, but it has strong nostalgic value as well.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 10:33
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

I only have two Nektar albums: "Journey to the Centre of the Eye" and "Nektar" (compilation). However, "Journey to the Centre of the Eye" is one of my all-time favourite albums, and is my favourite Psychedelic/Space Rock album. Not only is it musically great, but it has strong nostalgic value as well.

"Journey to the Centre of the Eye" is one of my all-time favourite Space Rock albums too. I like it even more than any of Hawkwind's classic albums. Thumbs Up

Magic is a Child (1977)

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 10:38

There's a 5-CD box set of classic Nektar albums available too, titled "The Essential Nektar" Smile

Recycled (1975)

Well in CD format those are easily available......Vinyl versions are the cats meow that people look for, but either way its excellent music.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 10:45

Recycled (1975)

"Recycled" is my favorite Nektar album. "Remember the Future" suffers from the weak chorus "Remember the Future"; it would have been much better without it

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 10:46
^ I have 5 of the first 6 on original vinyl...but bought them some time ago before collectors starting hoarding stuff...I have not seen 'Sounds Like This' in a bin ..the only one I don't have of the first 6.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 10:54

^ I have 5 of the first 6 on original vinyl...but bought them some time ago before collectors starting hoarding stuff...I have not seen 'Sounds Like This' in a bin ..the only one I don't have of the first 6.

Nice!!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 18:47

Hi,

Sounds Like This was only available as an Import in America ... I am not sure it was ever released here.

Edited by moshkito - March 14 2020 at 18:47
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 04:40
Man in the Moon (1980)

1. Too Young to Die

2. Angel

3. Telephone

4. Far Away

5. Torraine

6. Can't Stop You Now

7. We

8. You're Alone

9. Man in the Moon

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 15 2020 at 04:42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>