Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats your favorite cover art

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 13:34
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

this:

it perfectly displays what the Hippie era was all about

Hi,

Wow ... never EVER thought of it that way ... since the "Hippie" era for me, was a lot of SF stuff more than anything else, and many bands over there fit the bill ... however, only one of them, SANTANA, used a few more Latin/American folks and players than the other bands, and that worked really well in California with is very HIGH percentage of Latino folks, which made a huge difference ... specially in Southern California.

People have a rather amusing and weird view of me as a "hippie" and I was not one ... I never even had my first joint until late 1971 when we moved to Santa Barbara ... but when I got there, smoking a joint, and having long hair was a HUGE FAD ... and it meant nothing at all ... compared to Madison, WI (with its 50K students at UW), which was a very hip place, and these things were taken a bit more seriously and it showed in the music choices and many concerts ... not to mention that I did not enjoy what the National Guard and the ______ folks did to the students and employees (including me!), during the Kent State days, at the Rathskeller when feeling out someone was a huge embarrassment and it was worse for the women ... and many of us looked at each other and we just got the feeling that something bad was also about to happen! 

But California's "laissez-faire" about it all ... not hip at all ... and felt like that one song we all hated because it really hurt SF and the far out places! And many of these folks were there to just get laid and get stoned ... the music was not valuable and for the most part ignored, and later it showed up and then some ... in that one place ... where ... someone even died, and Marty Balin got his face smashed!

Hip/Hippie? Was long gone, and it almost felt like was an illusion!

But all the art and music and literature will live forever! At least in my heart!!!!! And I'm very glad to be a part of that!

Edited by moshkito - March 21 2020 at 07:19
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 14:04
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 18:13
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

this:

it perfectly displays what the Hippie era was all about

Hi,

Wow ... never EVER thought of it that way ... since the "Hippie" era for me, was a lot of SF stuff more than anything else, and many bands over there fit the bill ... however, only one of them, SANTANA, used a few more Latin/American folks and players than the other bands, and that worked really well in California with is very HIGH percentage of Latino folks, which made a huge difference ... specially in Southern California.

People have a rather amusing and weird view of me as a "hippie" and I was not one ... I never even had my first joint until late 1971 when we moved to Santa Barbara ... but when I got there, smoking a joint, and having long hair was a HUGE FAD ... and it meant nothing at all ... compared to Madison, WI (with its 50K students at UW), which was a very hip place, and these things were taken a bit more seriously and it showed in the music choices and many concerts ... not to mention that I did not enjoy what the National Guard and the ______ folks did to the students and employees (including me!), during the Kent State days, at the Rathskeller when feeling out someone was a huge embarrassment and it was worse for the women ... and many of us looked at each other and we just got the feeling that something bad was also about to happen! 

But California's "laissez-faire" about it all ... not hip at all ... and felt like that one song we all hated because it really hurt SF and the far out places! And many of these folks were there to just get laid and get stoned ... the music was not valuable and for the most part ignored, and later it showed up and then some ... in that one place ... where ... someone even died, and Marty Balin got his face smashed!

Hip/Hippie? Was long gone, and it was a massive illusion!

But all the art and music and literature will live forever! And I'm very glad to be a part of that!

my parents were Hippies. I grew up in Oakland, just a bridge away from SF. the interior of my parents' living room looked just like the cover of "Abraxas"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 18:35
Relayer. Saw the original painting at a silent auction in L.A. in the early '90s and was left speechless. Easily my favorite Dean cover.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 04:44
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 04:48
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 04:52
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

When this album was released, I was quite impressed with what it would've taken to put all those beds on the beach.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 05:56
killed many a brain cell to this one.. cover and music..

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 07:16

My parents were Hippies. I grew up in Oakland, just a bridge away from SF. the interior of my parents' living room looked just like the cover of "Abraxas"

Hi,

I remembered you had said that ... and yeah, I knew some friends with similar crazy rooms and for the longest time my own room had a tapestry on top and all sides and lots of posters and all that.

In the early days of it, it all meant something ... but it lost its flavor along the way. 

I don't "object" to being called a "hippie", although in how many folks use it here it is more on the condescending side of things than complimentary about the somewhat artistic side of things that had started way earlier, and had one of its introductory moments in the famous FURTHER bus ... the original one had nothing to do with the Grateful Dead originally.

See the film "MAGIC TRIP" if you can ... it adds something to it all, that by the time the 70's got here had all been lost. And towards the end, there are a couple of quotes/comments by Ken Kesey that are absolutely massive! 

I'm more of the artistic hippie than the reality of it, if I can say so. By the time Abraxas came on, I was already seeing all the posters and art around it all, even including the stuff from Frank Zappa, and I always thought that the whole thing was far out and neat. AND ARTISTIC .... something that media run other "scenes" were not!

Edited by moshkito - March 21 2020 at 07:17
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Teunis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 13:11
Really love all the Asia covers from Roger Dean.
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 16:34
So many great it impossible for me to pick just one, so I will post one of the better, not usual mentioned in Cover tread

Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 16:39
Originally posted by tamijo_II tamijo_II wrote:

So many great it impossible for me to pick just one, so I will post one of the better, not usual mentioned in Cover tread

<h1>
</h1>

This looks like crap to me, and I mean that literally, butt I like it.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 09:44

Artists: bob hund
Album: Det överexponerade gömstället (the over-exposed hiding place)

The text reads:
"I have no idea for the cover artwork - sorry, /Martin"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 09:46
Another big favourite is The Who - Tommy...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 07:47
Hi,

The sad thing that I see here, is how the LP size (12 inches) had an effect in the art and how it was looked at and even appreciated ... and I think that almost all of these were LP's in the day, and the art stands out ... as a great example, the ABRAXAS cover would not look as good or as impressive on a CD as it did on a LP.

I would like to see the "art" of it all make a come back, but with people just downloading songs ... I think the cover of an albums will become a completely lost art ... it was an outstanding side for many artists in a time when the art business was closed to more modern folks and new ideas in the art ... and today, it will be even worse than it was many years back, when seeing that ... wow ... what is that? ... nowadays, you don't even see a cover per se! Specially when folks are just downloading songs ... not albums!
www.pedrosena.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 07:52
Too many..... Roger Dean (of course) and Blim (Ozrics) come to mind instantly. But there are so many - Dan Seagrave for Metal, Patrick Woodruffe.....the list goes on.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 07:55
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by tamijo_II tamijo_II wrote:

<h1>
</h1>

This looks like crap to me, and I mean that literally, butt I like it.
this does look like, what I imagine, as a microscopic image of faecal dumpings....... and I don’t see the point of this stupid artwork, and I lost touch with Gabriel since So.......so what ??
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 08:58
This is another favourite:

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:06
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:58
I love the minimalism of Bass Communion covers like this one.

Lots of great cover art in the thread everyone!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>