Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need more albums!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yetheract Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need more albums!!!
    Posted: March 20 2020 at 13:33
I've been listening to like the same 10-or-so albums on repeat for a while, and I'm getting bored of some of them so I'm in desperate need of new music!
My favourite prog albums include:
  • Days of Future Passed (the Moody Blues)
  • Tarkus (ELP)
  • Close to the Edge (Yes)
  • V: The New Mythology Suite (Symphony X)
  • Permanent Waves (Rush)
  • The Wall (Pink Floyd)
  • Larks' Tongues in Aspic (King Crimson)
  • Buried Alive (Anglagard)
  • Ashes are Burning (Renaissance) 
  • Black Clouds and Silver Linings (Dream Theater).
Bonus points if the album is a concept album, or if it has a side-long track (cause that's basically half a concept album right there), or if it has Mellotron or harpsichord.

Edited by Yetheract - March 20 2020 at 13:33
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 13:49
I can make some progressive metal recommendations, as it is the prog type in which I'm the most knowledgeable about.

Ice Age - The Great Divide
Thought Chamber - Angular Perceptions
Trivial Act - Mindscape
The Last Things - Circles and Butterflies
Mind's Eye - Into the Unknown
Prospekt - The Colourless Sunrise
Mindsplit - Charmed Human Art of Singificance
Arcane - Known/Learned
Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Angra - Temple of Shadows
Michael Romeo - War of the Worlds Pt.1
Beyond Twilight - For the Love of Art and the Making
Shadow Gallery - Tyranny
Illusion Suite - The Final Hour
Infinite Spectrum - Haunter of the Dark
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 13:52
bonus points if you go to each genre page and check out the essential albums mentioned there. 
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 13:57
Originally posted by Yetheract Yetheract wrote:

I've been listening to like the same 10-or-so albums on repeat for a while, and I'm getting bored of some of them so I'm in desperate need of new music!
My favourite prog albums include:
  • Days of Future Passed (the Moody Blues)
  • Tarkus (ELP)
  • Close to the Edge (Yes)
  • V: The New Mythology Suite (Symphony X)
  • Permanent Waves (Rush)
  • The Wall (Pink Floyd)
  • Larks' Tongues in Aspic (King Crimson)
  • Buried Alive (Anglagard)
  • Ashes are Burning (Renaissance) 
  • Black Clouds and Silver Linings (Dream Theater).
Bonus points if the album is a concept album, or if it has a side-long track (cause that's basically half a concept album right there), or if it has Mellotron or harpsichord.

Since you like Tarkus (ELP), you may as well listen to Brain Salad Surgery. Since you like Close to the Edge (Yes), you may as well listen to Relayer. Both of these have a side-long track. I also recommend Mental Notes (Split Enz). Although there is no side-long track, it is a concept album. However, my favourite album is Pawn Hearts (Van der Graaf Generator), which does have a side-long track.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 13:58
I love such posts! "I have 10 albums, but I'm bored, please recommend me more". Angry
Lazy b*****ds. 

This could be forgiven in pre-internet days. But now? Unhappy
If you not an idiot, kick up your f**king ass, google, search and "find yourself a rainbow"! Lots of miracles are waiting for you!
After all the best music is the music you discovered by yourself. Am I wrong?

Edited by NotAProghead - March 20 2020 at 13:59
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 14:07
Hi,

Welcome ...

I'm just gonna go through my collection ... so things will be a bit disjointed and I'm not even thinking about anything while going through it or any preference level:

- Nektar ... (England/Germany( anything up to Recycled). You'll likely click with Remember the Future or A Tab In The Ocean.
- Mike Oldfield ... (Skip Tubular Bells) His next series of albums for almost 10 years are all really good.
- Barclay James Harvest .... not quite a concept band, but a tight and well thought out group with a really good vocals and some material that is very special
- Man/Help Yourself/Neutrons ... the family that plays together does not stay together, but the amount of music and neat things they put together was really good. MAN's albums are all really good all the way to Maximum Darkness. Help Yourself is more folk oriented but very nice stuff and Neutrons has some really far out vocals.
- Roy Harper ... England's (should be) laureate poet, has an incredible list of albums in his first 10. Stormcock is considered by many to be one of the best, although I also love to listen to The Unknown Soldier, Headquarters, One of These Days in England and Jugula +4. Jimmy Page is on many of these and has been for many years one of Roy's best friend.

Others:
- Stackridge ... a really nice and enjoyable listen. Mr Mick is fantastic, but all the early stuff has great things. The band Korgis is a part of this set of folks.
- XTC ... one of the odd ones, but a band that really stretched a lot of music and did things that we still go ... wow ... that was different. I have just about everything into 2000 ... and I can not tell you of one album that is less than the other, although if I have to choose a favorite it will be The Big Express
- Caravan ... the progressive darlings, although not quite a concept driven band. You can tell with these folks that many of them are outstanding musicians and went to school to study music.
- Camel ... smaller in stature to Caravan, but has great material all the way to Nude that I have heard a lot. Special listens should go to Snow Goose and then Moonmadness, as well as Mirage.
- Kevin Ayers ... oddball and funny man with a cross eyed look at things, and some nifty songs along the way. and you can shout in a bucket blues all day long, then! Some very clever lyrics and wording.

From Europe:
- Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso ... anything from the first 4 or 5 albums.
- PFM ... Any of the first 5 or 6 albums
- Focus ... Anything up to Hamburger Concerto (full side!) and don't forget to give a listen to "Eruption" 2nd or 3rd album can't remember)
- Ange ... any of the first 6 or 7 albums. Plenty great stuff and conceptual ideas. Emile Jacotey preceded Roger Waters by 20 years (Amused to Death) and The Wall by another bunch of years.
- Alan Stivell ... Celtic Breton that plays the Celtic Harp and mixes his music with anything. Rock/Jazz/Folk/Traditional/Political ... and it is a player whose work will be loved and enjoyed for a long time for its beauty and standing up for his people ... some folks hate his voice, but somehow it fits what he does. 

From Germany:
- Can ... any of the early stuff up until "Landed"
- Amon Duul 2 ... stopped with "concept stuff" after DANCE OF THE LEMMINGS, but their first 5 or 6 albums are massive, although it takes a different ear to enjoy this band ... some folks don't like the vocals, but it is all a part of the crazy bunch of musicians that they were. And good too ... more like great!
- Tangerine Dream - Pretty much all "concept" during the life of Edgar Froese. Even his stuff later based on many classics are very good. But some folks don't care for instrumental music.

Edited by moshkito - March 20 2020 at 14:15
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 14:22
Here´s some of my fav album not mentioned yet (prog or prog-related):
Wigwam: Fairyport
Family: Music In a Doll´s House
Procol Harum: Shine On Brightly
Genesis: the Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick
Traffic: Mr. Fantasy
Colosseum: Valentyne Suite
Comus: First Utterance
Magma: s/t aka Kobaia
Tasavallan Presidentti: Lambertland
Absoluuttinen Nollapiste: Pisara ja Lammas 1 & 2
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 15:00
Body Hound - No Moon  
Marco Minnemann - Broken Orange
Echolyn - Mei or The End is Beautiful
Izz - Don't Panic
Haken - Visions
Antoine Fafard - Proto Mundi
French TV - Pardon our French
Frogg Cafe - Bateless Edge
Big Big Train - English Electric Part One
Sanguine Hum - Now we Have Light
Frost* - Milliontown
Riverside - anno domini high definition
Lonely Robot - Please Come Home
Mike Keneally - Sluggo!
Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places
The Aristocrats - Culture Clash

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 16:16
Both Moshkito and Mortte have provided great lists which I fully endorse..

Try any of the Fruup lps, particularly 'Modern Masquerades' 

Hoelderlin - 'Clowns and Clouds'

Mr Fox- Mr Fox (psych folk)

and loads of others......

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 18:49
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

I love such posts! "I have 10 albums, but I'm bored, please recommend me more". Angry
Lazy b*****ds. 

If you not an idiot, kick up your f**king ass, google, search and "find yourself a rainbow"! Lots of miracles are waiting for you!

Clap
Also back in the day how I discovered new music was by going to a record store, flipping thru bins for hours and reading the back cover and in a lot of cases the cover art......Then I had to take a financial risk and BUY the album, take it home and hope I like it.

So yea do some work and at least go and stream new music or YouTube it, ITS FREE! 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 23:48
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Lazy b*****ds. 

Clap
Also back in the day how I discovered new music was by going to a record store, flipping thru bins for hours and reading the back cover and in a lot of cases the cover art......Then I had to take a financial risk and BUY the album, take it home and hope I like it.

So yea do some work and at least go and stream new music or YouTube it, ITS FREE! 
In the eighties I loaned from the library "ROCK TIETO" books that has three series and included all the important non-Finnish artists. There were also two great books about Finnish pop/rock music. Also got great friends who recommended & borrowed me really great music!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 01:56
RPI
PFM - Per Un Amico
Banco - Darwin!
Le Orme - Felona and Serona

NEO
IQ - Resistance
Lifesigns - Lifesigns
Arena - The Visitor

Crossover
Dave Kerzner - New World
Big Big Train - Folklore
Supertramp - Crime Of The Century

Symphonic
Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte
Glass Hammer - The Inconsolable Secret
Par Lindh Project - Mundus Incompertus (has a 30 minute track, also Gothic Impressions is great)

Other
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons (has a sdie long track which is brilliant)
Liquid Tension Experiment - LTE2
Haken - Affinity

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 04:05
Mixed salad coming up:

Le Orme - Felona e Sorona
Invisible - s/t
Gracious - This Is Gracious!
Steve Hillage - Fish Fising
Kraan - s/t
Os Mutantes - Tudo Foi Feito Pelo Sol
Dashiel Hedayatt - Obsolete
COS - Viva Boma
Franco Battiato - Pollution
Bo Hansson - Mellanväsen
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 07:53
Did you say mellotron.

Nebelnest - Nova Express
 Post Reply Post Reply