Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [13.33%]
10 [22.22%]
29 [64.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 16:06
Polls like these make me want to hand in my Prog Archives membership card.....oh..wait a minute
we don't get cards.

Shocked

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 16:16
^ Haha. Your 'prog card' basically then. I feel you man. I'm the one who made the poll but honestly I feel you. 

Edited by YESESIS - March 21 2020 at 16:18
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 16:41
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

^ Haha. Your 'prog card' basically then. I feel you man. I'm the one who made the poll but honestly I feel you. 

Actually, this poll could be used to surreptitiously measure the sense of humour of the forum members. It seems that 50% have no sense of humour. Admittedly, I didn't vote because I couldn't bring myself to vote for The Partridge Family, nor was I going to vote for either Yes or Genesis.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 17:02
I'm just happy to have a non-Genesis and non-Yes option to vote for, so no complaints from me. ;) I enjoyed the Partridge Family, I especially liked Susan Dey. Still, I would have have preferred it had The Banana Splits and The Monkees been it, instead of Yes and Genesis.* I like me some sunshine, bubblegum pop.

*I like Yes and Genesis, but I feel much the the same way some feel about certain classic rock on the radio, in this case I feel it gets overplayed in the forum sometimes.

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I love Paul Williams who wrote everyone's songs back then, so the Partridges it is.   Plus I had a big crush on Susan Dey.

Same. Susan Dey brightens my day. A favourite of mine with Paul Williams was The Phantom of the Paradise film and music.

Edited by Logan - March 21 2020 at 17:07
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 17:19
Glad to see the Partridge Family is winning. We can vote for Yes and Genesis any old day. ;) How often does the Partridge Family pop up on here? Tongue
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 19:56
Goes to show you just never know in life sometimes.
Progfan1958 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progfan1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 19:59
Danny Partridge rules !
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 23:50
The "corner" observation from Finland, I haven´t got any idea what "The Partridge Family" is (still haven´t got, I haven´t googled it). It just when I listened a bit that what Yesesis put here, it was just so hilarious that I have to vote it!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 02:10
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I love Paul Williams who wrote everyone's songs back then, so the Partridges it is.   Plus I had a big crush on Susan Dey.

Image result for susan dey images

all wide eyed and perfect features ..can't imagine why Tongue
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 05:56
An observation, I saw The Partridge Family on TV a lot as a kid, I didn't once see Yes or Genesis on Tv.

And... they had Susan Dey!!!    

Edited by LAM-SGC - March 22 2020 at 06:02
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 06:01
And this humour poll should tell you everything you need to know about the humour and social skills of some prog fans, still voting for Yes and Genesis... that in itself is even funnier...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 10:05
I once, if only momentarily, thought this forum lacking in humour because so few laughed at my jokes. A millisecond later I realized, no, it’s not because people here lack a sense of humour, it’s because they have a good sense of humour and prefer to laugh when it’s actually funny.
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 10:40
I’m only being partially serious there, see, not funny. I do find this to be a harder audience generally than I have been used to with humour and riffing off each other. Although perhaps the lols were compassionate lols at other fora.   I was once told I have no sense of irony when I responded in a seemingly serious way, and politely, in an ironic fashion. That was awkward. It was hard to respond back without spoiling the joke. Also, I have noticed that when various people quote my posts while editing out parts of them, it’s my favourite bits, what I thought were the funny bits, that tend to get edited out. I’m not sure if that says more about my poor sense of humour, or a lack of humour from others.

At a former forum, I was told not to tell people when I’m joking because it spoils the humour. — figuring out if someone is joking can be part of the fun, and with the realisation, that much funnier, but sometime I have wondered if I should spell it out when I’m joking since I often wrap humour within seemingly serious posts.

Anyway, I love humour, and there are various very witty people at the site, but sometimes this place can seem a bit too on the serious side fir me. Humour is a very important tool of socialization. It can bring people together, but also push them apart.   I tend not to like genuinely mean-spirited humour,. I like to rib people, Nd be ribbed, but not to wound them. Like with music, there is no one taste in humour. I tend to favour dark comedy, self-deprecating humour, toilet humour and very bad puns. Since this site is so multi-national, culture and language also affects reaction.

Now this ended up being an all too serious post; carry on with the fun.

Edited by Logan - March 22 2020 at 10:51
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 10:52
Logan, sometimes the stereotypes about certain fans are simply just true. 😂😂😂
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 11:03
True, and stereotypes generally have truth to them. Prog is serious business.

By the way, I was just reminded of what someone told me at a past forum, or at least the general sentiment.   People either get the joke or they don’t, if they do, that’s great, if they don’t, they’re idiots. Now, I would not go that far, but I appreciate the sentiment and attitude.

Edited by Logan - March 22 2020 at 11:07
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 11:21
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I once, if only momentarily, thought this forum lacking in humour because so few laughed at my jokes. A millisecond later I realized, no, it’s not because people here lack a sense of humour, it’s because they have a good sense of humour and prefer to laugh when it’s actually funny.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You have a great sense of humour. Your entertaining forum posts and album reviews are testament to that. It's at tough times like these when laughter is the best medicine.  Smile

I'd vote for Susan Dey any day over Genesis and Yes. Smile

I'm looking forward to the Genesis/Yes/Monkees poll and seeing how that turns out, although I can guess who's going to win. Smile

The Monkees are going to win it bigly - not even close. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 22 2020 at 11:29
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 11:38
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Don't be so hard on yourself. You have a great sense of humour. Your entertaining forum posts and album reviews are testament to that. It's at tough times like these when laughter is the best medicine.  Smile

I appreciate that, and I really appreciate your sense of humour and song and album word play, as well as your positivity even when faced with certain negativity,   That’s often when one shows one’s true colours.    I took it really hard once when someone, a paid moderator in fact for a tv station website, insisted that I should stop trying to do humour cause I sucked at it. If you can’t take criticism, you are very unlikely to make it, but I would have rather had some constructive criticism (having been a teacher, I particularly value that). What he said did reinforce my doubts. Maybe it was a reality call and it was the kindest thing he could have done, Or maybe he just didn’t like me because I called him a boob. 😀. Yep, that likely was it.

Edited by Logan - March 22 2020 at 12:04
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 12:03

I’m only being partially serious there, see, not funny. I do find this to be a harder audience generally than I have been used to with humour and riffing off each other. Although perhaps the lols were compassionate lols at other fora.   I was once told I have no sense of irony when I responded in a seemingly serious way, and politely, in an ironic fashion. That was awkward. It was hard to respond back without spoiling the joke. Also, I have noticed that when various people quote my posts while editing out parts of them, it’s my favourite bits, what I thought were the funny bits, that tend to get edited out. I’m not sure if that says more about my poor sense of humour, or a lack of humour from others.

At a former forum, I was told not to tell people when I’m joking because it spoils the humour. — figuring out if someone is joking can be part of the fun, and with the realisation, that much funnier, but sometime I have wondered if I should spell it out when I’m joking since I often wrap humour within seemingly serious posts.

Anyway, I love humour, and there are various very witty people at the site, but sometimes this place can seem a bit too on the serious side fir me. Humour is a very important tool of socialization. It can bring people together, but also push them apart.   I tend not to like genuinely mean-spirited humour,. I like to rib people, Nd be ribbed, but not to wound them. Like with music, there is no one taste in humour. I tend to favour dark comedy, self-deprecating humour, toilet humour and very bad puns. Since this site is so multi-national, culture and language also affects reaction.

That's how I feel about it as well. I'm completely fine with people voting for Yes or Genesis, or whatever way they choose to vote on any of these polls. But what I feared when I posted this was people attacking me for it. I've certainly been attacked before on here, and was braced for that this time but somewhat surprisingly it didn't happen. My man Dellinger posted that the tune was annoying and he was voting for Yes, and I have no problem with any of that. No where in his post was there any personal attack on me(and there never is with him as far as I can tell). And then the Pink Floyd facepalm lol. That was clever and in a spirit of fun was how I saw that. So you just never know. But again I agree with you, as long as it's not mean-spirited then I generally have no problem with anything anyone posts on here.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 12:51
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

That's how I feel about it as well. I'm completely fine with people voting for Yes or Genesis, or whatever way they choose to vote on any of these polls. But what I feared when I posted this was people attacking me for it. I've certainly been attacked before on here, and was braced for that this time but somewhat surprisingly it didn't happen. My man Dellinger posted that the tune was annoying and he was voting for Yes, and I have no problem with any of that. No where in his post was there any personal attack on me(and there never is with him as far as I can tell). And then the Pink Floyd facepalm lol. That was clever and in a spirit of fun was how I saw that. So you just never know. But again I agree with you, as long as it's not mean-spirited then I generally have no problem with anything anyone posts on here.

I like "chill", but I don't like coldness basically. I would like this to be a generally warm, tolerant, and welcoming site for all that are warm, welcoming, and tolerant.

I'll happily disagree and passionately debate with people if I have the time, patience and mostly the mind for it (I like it when people point out my errors, or flaws in logic, not in a really nit-picky way, as I like to learn from my mistakes),, but what is irritating to me is when people are talking at cross-purposes, talking past one another, or just being plain insulting. But I genuinely like and care about everyone I've communicated with at this forum, and am not the type to bear grudges.

By the way, there have been times when people have thought I was attacking them when my intentions were wholly different, and, dare I say, altruistic. I try to be balanced when dealing with things, but sometimes one goes off-kilter.
Sometimes one is walking a tightrope between expectations, and stumbling along the way. Sometimes I have thought someone was attacking me, then I saw it from a different perspective. Anyway, as is said, one can attack the ideas, but one should not attack the person. Avoid ad hominems. In some cases, some do take it too badly and overly personally when the ideas are being challenged. I don't like it when people criticise an idea and then don't expatiate on it even when asked for clarification. I think of those as hit-and-run drivers.

I sometimes get a little nervous when I post a topic and when I post at all, especially when I'm sharing something of a personal nature, baring my soul, or even just baring my buttocks. I mooned everyone with a poll of mine before: "Moon in June"; "The Moon is Down" and "Beautiful as the Moon, Terrible as an Army with Banners". Of course one should think about how others will react before posting and have some filters. When I started posting I only cared about the ideas and creativity and did not consider the person behind the posts. The quality and qualities of the post itself were all that mattered to me, and it took a while before I saw it as more than a sort of creative writing exercise.   I loved flamewars, and it being so impersonal to me, I was never burned myself, and all my burns/ insults were done in good fun. Same thing with my early role as a troll, and boy did I troll before I knew what a troll was. To me it was just creative writing, like writing a play. Now I do prefer that sense of community, caring and sharing, and all the fuzzy stuff which can be so nauseating to some. :)

Edited by Logan - March 22 2020 at 12:54
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 12:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ people are voting for the Partridges as a joke, really, it's not obvious?! 

Well, no kidding but apparently not everyone is in on it otherwise Genesis and Yes wouldn't have any votes. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>