Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Post-Rock/Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 19:02
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

^^ Nice list ! Smile

Very soon, I will get 3 albums of Maserati, Leech (Switzerland/2018), the new God Is An Astronaut.
And the Metallian Store is trying to find for me We Lost The Sea - Departure Songs and also one or two albums of Meniscus (Australia). Collapse Under The Empire is on my wishlist as well.

I have one recording of Collapse Under The Empire called Find A Place To Be Safe, man is it good.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 19:26
Really Love We Lost The Sea - Departures Songs, very emotional album!

I forgot to add many bands to my list, Sigur Ros, Rosetta and Giant Squid

thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 00:21
Here are some of my types for post-metal and post-rock, one album per band.

Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along the Highway (2006)
Neurosis - Times of Grace (1999)
Isis - Oceanic (2002)
Pelican - The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw (2006)
Omega Massif - Karpatia (2011)
Mouth of the Architect - The Ties That Blind (2006)
Rosetta - The Galilean Satellites (2005)
Fall of Efrafa - Owlsa (2006)
Year of No Light - Nord (2006)
Callisto - Noir (2006)
Minsk - The Ritual Fires of Abandonment (2007)

(...)
lots of very similar albums
(...)

And, of course, early GY!BE holds up very well. The Evpatoria Report was also dope.

TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 07:03
Latest additions to my collection of CDs:

-Leech: For Better Or For Worse,
-Maserati: Inventions For The New Season.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 22:33

^^ Nice list ! Smile

Very soon, I will get 3 albums of Maserati, Leech (Switzerland/2018), the new God Is An Astronaut.
And the Metallian Store is trying to find for me We Lost The Sea - Departure Songs and also one or two albums of Meniscus (Australia). Collapse Under The Empire is on my wishlist as well.

Nice! I spent the summer of 2018 coming up with my Post Rock list just re listening to favourites plus spending time with the ones I hadn't got to yet at the time. My Post Rock summer. I'm done collecting music so keep me posted on the new stuff.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 00:04
Additions to my collection of CDs:

-God Is An Astronaut: Ghost Tapes #10,
-Maserati: Rehumanizer.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2021 at 19:36
Post Rock and Electronic were my two favourite styles of music to listen to when I used to jog and bike but now I've been going on long drives in the car since last November and today I was gone for almost 3 hours. Really enjoyed Yndi Halda's Enjoy Eternal Bliss.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 01:44
Three "new" albums in my collection:

-Lost In Kiev: Motions,
-Maserati: Enter The Mirror,
--Red Sparowes: Every Red Heart Shines Toward The Red Sun.

Edited by PhideauxFan - April 09 2021 at 02:17
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2021 at 02:09
I got to this genre very recently, so I didnt listen to a lot albums yet. But here some of my favorite:
Mogwai - As the Love Continues
Anathima - The Optimist
This Will Destroy You - Young Moutain
Explosions In the Sky - The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place
Long Distence Calling - How Do We Want to Live?

Edited by yogev - April 09 2021 at 02:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2021 at 23:07
One new album in my collection: Caspian - Waking Season.

And thanks to the Metallian Store in France, I will receive some albums of Collapse Under The Empire, God Is An Astronaut, Meniscus, Wang Wen and We Lost The Sea.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 00:47
Just a note, in case anyone is not aware. Pelagic Records has changed their pricing policy, and apart from pre-orders, all download releases are to be Name Your Price from now on. I have not checked, but I believe all of their back catalogue has also been changed to Name Your Price.

There are a lot of great bands on the Pelagic label, so this is a bit of a treasure trove. For patriotic reasons I am duty bound to point out New Zealand band, Spook the Horses. 😜🇳🇿🥝

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 03:47
What is the connection between post rock and metal (and be it "post metal")?

Edited by Lewian - June 30 2021 at 03:47
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 06:40
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I think perhaps you have mis-interpreted the title? I read it as “Top Post-Rock / (Post-)Metal”. There is no real connection between post rock and metal.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 10:23
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I think perhaps you have mis-interpreted the title? I read it as “Top Post-Rock / (Post-)Metal”. There is no real connection between post rock and metal.

If there's no connection, why are they put together? (Obviously I can't expect anybody else than the thread opener to explain this... but many people have played that ball in the meantime.)

Anyway, the thing I'd really be interested in is if there is a musical connection between post rock and what apparently some people refer to as post metal, really not in the first place for understanding this thread. If I come to this from the direction of post rock (which I like a lot), is there some "post metal" that may appeal to me, based on that connection? I don't really know what makes metal "post"...
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 11:13

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

If there's no connection, why are they put together? (Obviously I can't expect anybody else than the thread opener to explain this... but many people have played that ball in the meantime.)

Anyway, the thing I'd really be interested in is if there is a musical connection between post rock and what apparently some people refer to as post metal, really not in the first place for understanding this thread. If I come to this from the direction of post rock (which I like a lot), is there some "post metal" that may appeal to me, based on that connection? I don't really know what makes metal "post"...

There is a connection between post-rock and post-metal, in the sense that both approach and explore beyond the genre conventions they come from. So post-rock stretches rock’s conventions, and post-metal stretches metal’s conventions. Obviously a lot of the “stretching” was by the originators of the new genres, so that often newer bands are doing nothing new or unique, so much as repeating what has since become almost a formula for the new style. (Therefore not greatly different from how prog was progressive, but a lot of prog these days is anything but.)

The most obvious and simplistic way of defining the difference between rock and post-rock, and between metal and post-metal, is to say that the conventional genres are about structure, and the post genres are about texture. There tends to be a greater reliance on atmospherics and dynamics. Both post genres often incorporate alternative and/or shoegaze sounds into their mix; and/or industrial/ambient sounds. Instead of a verse-chorus-verse structure there are waves of crescendos, and the music often relies on the building and breaking of tension.

That’s an overly simplistic “definition”, but I hope it helps explain why the OP has grouped together post rock and post metal. Or, at least, why I assume they have. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 13:37
For some reason I never see on post-rock lists two bands I consider giants of the genre:
To Rococo Rot and Tarwater. I would also add Trans AM

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 14:08
@Nick: I see that Tool is post-metal; that makes some sense then. Going through the bands listed as Post Metal indeed I see that I don't know many and of those I know most are pretty good. Should probably explore that genre more.

Edited by Lewian - June 30 2021 at 14:11
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 18:03
Honestly I just posted my Post Rock favs. I need to do a Post Metal list, lots of really good stuff there to explore.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2021 at 23:52
Addition to my collection of CDs: Meniscus - Refractions (Australia-2016).

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2021 at 00:47

Addition to my collection of CDs: Meniscus - Refractions (Australia-2016).

That’s a great album. I just reviewed the debut full length from No Mandate, who are a trio made up from members of Hinterlandt, Meniscus and SEIMS. Very different from all three of those bands, though if push comes to shove probably closest to SEIMS. That’s cool with me, though, because SEIMS is easily one of my favourite bands from the Sydney scene.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>