Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Four Studio Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Who has the best overall?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [25.96%]
1 [0.96%]
10 [9.62%]
10 [9.62%]
5 [4.81%]
11 [10.58%]
25 [24.04%]
12 [11.54%]
2 [1.92%]
1 [0.96%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Four Studio Albums
    Posted: March 25 2020 at 02:10
I've kept it to a round ten bands (arguably the most important in prog) and it does include FGTR so hopefully all the 'Genesis fan boys' won't just press the auto vote button Wink

So the idea is that you treat the first four albums as a block . So in many cases the same as a modern double CD length wise.

For me ELP and Camel have strong entries as obviously does KC . Marillion covers the Fish era so that is strong as well.

Its very seventies orientated so I have included an Other option (EDIT - oh dear forgot to do this in a rush Embarrassed
Let the headaches commence!

BTW - I know many complain about the use of the word 'Best' . It's just your opinion and can be taken as 'most progressive' or most 'important' or however you want to view it. Lets not get too hung up about this.Smile

Edited by richardh - March 26 2020 at 00:56
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 02:34
You know... I had to really think about this but the first 4 Marillion albums with Fish for me are very special .. I voted Marillion, Followed close with King Crimson and Genesis and ELP. But Marillions first 4 albums were all very consistent.  Tongue

Edited by Enchant X - March 25 2020 at 02:44
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 02:47
GG over Marillion and ELP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 03:23
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I've kept it to a round ten bands (arguably the most important in prog) and it does include FGTR so hopefully all the 'Genesis fan boys' won't just press the auto vote button Wink

So the idea is that you treat the first four albums as a block . So in many cases the same as a modern double CD length wise.

For me ELP and Camel have strong entries as obviously does KC . Marillion covers the Fish era so that is strong as well.

Its very seventies orientated so I have included an Other option. 

BTW - I know many complain about the use of the word 'Best' . It's just your opinion and can be taken as 'most progressive' or most 'important' or however you want to view it. Lets not get too hung up about this.Smile

that's a tough one.
You said you'd have the "other" option, did you change your mind? LOL
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 05:20
This is tough. I can’t decide between Crimson, Floyd and Tull. Thought about Marillion also as I really dig the Fish years...but do they trump the aforementioned? Nope.
Think I’ll wait a bit with my vote. Show the underdog some love down the line
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 05:31
Genesis. Can't discount how much Foxtrot plays in this.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 06:37
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Its very seventies orientated so I have included an Other option. 

This Genesis fanboy almost reached for the auto vote button, until I saw that FGTR was included

Voted KC.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 06:57
has to be ELP for me.  Those 4 albums are all great.

Gentle Giant would be next.
Prog On!
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 07:25
Jethro Tull.  'This Was' was a good first out.  BUT when you follow that up with 'Stand Up', 'Benefit' and the iconic 'Aqualung' you've made a strong musical statement that is hard to beat by anybody.
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 07:39
Marillion. All 4 Fish's era albums are very good. 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 07:54
ELP's first four sold shed-loads, were hugely influential and became the indelible watermark that betrayed the callow forgeries of those that followed in their wake. (Stop me if you've heard this one before): ELP epitomized the very best and the very worst of what we like to remember as Progressive Rock

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 25 2020 at 07:54
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 07:56
when your first 4 include "The Snow Goose" and "Moonmadness"< and the other two are pretty good, the choice is easy
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 07:57
Hard choice. In many cases, it's a tie for me.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 08:09
I have to go with KC as what is arguably the most influential album in prog is included in their first four albums.

progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 08:52
Crimson, Camel, ELP, Gentle Giant, Marillion. The rest have an album that is a bit weaker than their rest which is how I made the cut.
PROGMATIC
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 08:55
Hi,

I like them all and have them all except Rush (roomie had all of it and heard enough of it!), and my vote is going to be different ... 

DJAM KARET ... their first 4 albums rival anyone's in quality and ability.

AMON DUUL 2 ... their first 4 albums still stand ... excellent!

NEKTAR ... still great after all these years and it's all over, now!

CHICAGO ... first four for sure!

Edited by moshkito - March 25 2020 at 09:18
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 09:02
Tough one, most have at least one weak album, think I have to go with Crimson as the least weakest.

Obviously the correct answer is Black Sabbath or Univers Zero.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - March 25 2020 at 09:04
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 09:05
Either Gentle Giant or ELP. I went with the former cuz I like their first four better than I like ELP's first four.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 09:23
King Crimson, ELP, Camel and Genesis would be my choices for top four but I'm not going to vote here since it would be too difficult to choose(also, I'm not overly familiar with the first Camel anyway). While NC, Foxtrot and TYA and Fragile are great the two before both of them aren't quite top notch(in the case of the first Yes and Genesis just good but not much more).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 25 2020 at 09:24
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 09:34
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

King Crimson, ELP, Camel and Genesis would be my choices for top four but I'm not going to vote here since it would be too difficult to choose(also, I'm not overly familiar with the first Camel anyway). While NC, Foxtrot and TYA and Fragile are great the two before both of them aren't quite top notch(in the case of the first Yes and Genesis just good but not much more).

you're not familiar with Camel's debut? Shocked You're missing...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>