Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1978: Camel vs Genesis vs Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What's yur favorite out of these?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [39.53%]
18 [41.86%]
8 [18.60%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 18:38
And I'm another one Tormato defender. I simply like it (maybe it has something to do with the fact it was my first LP record I owned back in the '80s). Thus Tormato gets my vote.
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 19:04
Genesis first of course.  That is a GREAT Camel album and one of their best.  Tormato sucks.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 23:19
Camel is one of those consistent bands where it's difficult to find anything below 3 stars and Breathless is a solid 4 star album.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 01:21
I love the Genesis album and agree with Blacksword. I suspect that people would like ATTWT to be worse than it is given the usual cliché that Genesis stopped being a prog band after Hackett left. True it has some commercial stuff but it's well blended with heavier stuff imo.
Tormato - Actually I like some of the tracks a lot especially Future Times and On The Silent Wings Of Freedom. I think my biggest dislike though is that it feels very random at times. Not terrible though and Alan White performs like a real hero on the some of the tracks.
Don't know the Camel album at all. I struggle to get past their first four.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 18:01
Genesis.
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 23:02
I'd like to cast a Hell No vote for Tormato.

Although I do like Silent Wings of Freedom.

I'd be surprised if Tony "we never needed a lead guitarist" Banks ever expressed a loss of Hackett.
-John
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 03:34
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I love the Genesis album and agree with Blacksword. I suspect that people would like ATTWT to be worse than it is given the usual cliché that Genesis stopped being a prog band after Hackett left. True it has some commercial stuff but it's well blended with heavier stuff imo.
Tormato - Actually I like some of the tracks a lot especially Future Times and On The Silent Wings Of Freedom. I think my biggest dislike though is that it feels very random at times. Not terrible though and Alan White performs like a real hero on the some of the tracks.

Random is quite a good way to describe Tormato. There's no structure or flow to the album. It sounds like a collection of songs which perhaps weren't good enough for GFTO.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 03:42

Breathless contains some very good tracks and is quite consistent. While I absolutely love the first four, I think that Raind Dances and Breathless are the albums which characterized the Camel's sound especially with their clones around the world.  I Can See Your House From Here contains some real stinkers like Remote Romance and The Single Factor is absolutely forgettable, but later albums like Stationary Traveller and Harbour of Tears, are good enough...then Rajaz in my opinion can stand together the first four.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 09:05
None of these. They all made so many better albums.
In 1978, I would pick UK (by UK).
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 15:42
Tormato
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 19:08
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Random is quite a good way to describe Tormato. There's no structure or flow to the album. It sounds like a collection of songs which perhaps weren't good enough for GFTO.

While I don't quite agree with you because I think there's the genesis of some really good tracks on Tormato, I just think the album was rushed in the studio and I get the vibe that Rick Wakeman lost interest during the recording and left the other musicians to their own devices in the studio.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 06:19
Yes  Tomato 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12