Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Harrison Interview

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gavin Harrison Interview
    Posted: March 25 2020 at 10:56
Great interview with Gavin Harrison on Metal Express Radio. I've seen Gavin live with both King Crimson and recently with The Pineapple Thief, such a talented drummer and immensely musical drummer.

Talks about Porcupine Tree hiatus and how it came about. Talks about Fripp asking him to join KC and Gavin admitting he does not know any KC music...so awesome!! Always knew he was a big jazz fan but as a teen he states he was a big US funk listener including Earth Wind & Fire (my #3 all time band), brilliant! He did not listen to Floyd, Genesis, Zeppelin or even Beatles.....I like Gavin more and more. Clap

The Pineapple Thief working on a new album.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 11:33
Nice. He's an awesome drummer that, I think, doesn't get his due from people. His rapid bass drum kicks in the break on "Lazarus" is sublime.

Edited by SteveG - March 25 2020 at 11:35
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 14:10
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Nice. He's an awesome drummer that, I think, doesn't get his due from people. His rapid bass drum kicks in the break on "Lazarus" is sublime.

True dat....also one of the best with ghost hits, he is so musical with that talent. What struck me that he said,  I also came to progressive rock via the funk/R&B world. EW&F, Parliament, Funkadelic, Bar-Kays, Ohio Players and others that recorded some amazing songs, long jams and instrumentals that helped me explore different music from other countries really when I was a teen. Much of the prog I was hearing took me awhile, years to get and really like.
Dorsalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorsalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 04:36

Funny you say that. I think he's widely recognized as one of the best "rock" drummers alive today. Bill Bruford already included him on his list of his 10 favorite drummers of all time years ago:

https://billbruford.com/faq/#06792cf4f25413591

And he was one of the drummers chosen to play a solo on Letterman for their "Drum Solo Week".

https://youtu.be/igDSyZMy8_E

Never mind the fact that he was picked up by KC. Wink

All in all, he's an absolutely mind-blowing drummer. Thanks for posting the interview!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 12:36
Originally posted by Dorsalia Dorsalia wrote:

Funny you say that. I think he's widely recognized as one of the best "rock" drummers alive today. Bill Bruford already included him on his list of his 10 favorite drummers of all time years ago:

And he was one of the drummers chosen to play a solo on Letterman for their "Drum Solo Week".

All in all, he's an absolutely mind-blowing drummer. Thanks for posting the interview!

I'm with you, its seems Gavin gets little love from the "music fan" but in his industry and among his peers he is regarded as a highly talented musician....I've seen it and heard it since first being exposed to him what almost 20yrs ago.
Mr Peart will always be my fav drummer of all time, I made this decision as a teen in late 70's Clap. Gavin is easily right behind him.
I remember those episodes on Letterman, I was really surprised Gavin was one of the chosen due to his limited popularity....He nailed it though with excellent jazz skills.

My wife is a huge Peart and Portnoy fan, she was very impressed with his performance when we saw Pineapple Thief past December. Seeing him with KC and 2 other drummers is difficult to appreciate him on his own she said...

Edited by Catcher10 - March 26 2020 at 12:38
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 05:56
Originally posted by Dorsalia Dorsalia wrote:

I not so sure. it's seems that people fawn more over Marco than Gavin. They're both equally awesome.

Edited by SteveG - March 27 2020 at 05:57
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 17:24
Absolutely my favorite drummer.  Especially after seeing KC in 2017 with the 8 man beast with Gavin as one of the drummers.  I first noticed his work before seeing him on his work with PT, In Absentia and Fear of a Blank Planet.

Had heard where he did not know any Crimson songs before joining the band, awesome.

Good interview.  Thanks for sharing.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 18:19
My wife does like Marco too, cause he gave her a drum stic after a Steven Wilson show. LOL

I like Marco, but Gavin is more musical to my ears.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 12:00
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

My wife does like Marco too, cause he gave her a drum stic after a Steven Wilson show. LOL

Hi,

To my ears, Gavin is more "mechanical", or maybe  the right word is "mathematical" than Marco ... but that is just a feeling from what I hear, and can not tell you if it is true or clear at all. Although I do not dislike what I hear, be it on PT or PT, or KC, of all drummers I much prefer the easy going and touch related drummers that know how to be very quiet when they need to be, like Jaki Liebezeit or even Steve Gadd who colored Rickie Lee Jones so well, and when he left, she never again could do a strong album. And Steve's stuff with Kate Bush is amazing ... there is no "beat" ... it's all a touch and fell and compliment to her flow in "50 Words for Snow".

In another interview, GH has said that Steve Gadd is one of his favorites BTW.

Edited by moshkito - March 28 2020 at 12:00
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 03:13
Probably my 3 favourite modern drummers would include Marco and Gavin and also the guy who plays in Mastodon, Brann Dailor is totally insane!  
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 10:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Hi,

To my ears, Gavin is more "mechanical", or maybe  the right word is "mathematical" than Marco ... but that is just a feeling from what I hear, and can not tell you if it is true or clear at all. Although I do not dislike what I hear, be it on PT or PT, or KC, of all drummers I much prefer the easy going and touch related drummers that know how to be very quiet when they need to be, like Jaki Liebezeit or even Steve Gadd who colored Rickie Lee Jones so well, and when he left, she never again could do a strong album. And Steve's stuff with Kate Bush is amazing ... there is no "beat" ... it's all a touch and fell and compliment to her flow in "50 Words for Snow".

In another interview, GH has said that Steve Gadd is one of his favorites BTW.

Nah, totally musical Gavin is. He has such a strong jazz background, remember his father was a jazz musician and that is what he grew up with, not rock music, as he has stated many times. I love watching him play some jazz........
I love Jaki, another very jazzy drummer.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 10:55
I love his work. A tremendous musician, and someone who comes across really well.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply