3 [7.50%]
20 [50.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures at an Exhibition
    Posted: March 27 2020 at 14:53
This is one of my favorite classical works. Just listened ELP & piano version after long time, also watched first time ELP vid from this. First time introduced this from ELP, but was quite disappointed when hearing the whole suite how little original was in the ELP-album (only four pictures from ten). But really after watching that Vid started to love again ELP-version. So, whatīs your way of listening this masterpiece? If only ELP-album, I really hope you try piano or classical orchestra version, just because there is so much great music missing in ELP-version!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 17:16
The suite has some good bits, but it's not my favourite bit of classical music.
I was present at the gig in Newcastle when ELP recorded the album in 1971, and I was not very impressed. Emerson's playing was sloppy at times (he spent too much time showing off) and some of the arrangements are a bit naff. Lake was the best by far - a great singer.
I've got the album, but almost never play it. And I never went to see ELP again.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 17:23
The Mussorgsky piano and orchestra version. I've kown it since my chidhood, listened to it with my granfather. I also like the ELP version, but prefer the original one.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 17:57
As a classical music fan, all versions are great if they're well performed.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 18:12
Dar, dar, dar-da-da, dar, dar, da........ Love them all - just I'd be lying if I didn't say that the ELP version is close to my heart (my first ELP album - as I think it was at a budget price to match my pocket money at the time). Wonderful melodies!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 18:45
Was never that excited by the original piano solo composition. Ravel's orchestration took the piece to a whole new level and he rarely gets the credit he deserves. It's the orchestral version that Emerson heard first but he purchased the piano solo sheet music as the basis for ELP's adaptation. Tomita's version is much more faithful to the original (he performs the work in its entirety) but some of the Casio CZ synth sounds are for me, strictly Camembert Electric.Dead
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 18:59
I love Ravel's orchestral version, but I like the original piano version by Musorgskij too.

So, I vote for both.

I dont like ELP's version (the Lp).

Edited by jamesbaldwin - March 27 2020 at 19:01
"Happiness is real only when shared"
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 19:40
ELP version.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 23:24
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Was never that excited by the original piano solo composition. Ravel's orchestration took the piece to a whole new level and he rarely gets the credit he deserves. It's the orchestral version that Emerson heard first but he purchased the piano solo sheet music as the basis for ELP's adaptation. Tomita's version is much more faithful to the original (he performs the work in its entirety) but some of the Casio CZ synth sounds are for me, strictly Camembert Electric.Dead
Never heard Tomitaīs version, but I didnīt like at all his version of Holst Planets, so I believe itīs not for me. When looking the information about the suite last night, to my surprise there seem to be really many non-classical versions, even Tangerine Dream has made version from Promenade. Anyway havenīt heard Ravelīs version as whole (we listened parts of orchestra version in school), going to listen first thing in this morning.

Great to see lots of love in this great work and also outside ELP:s version!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 23:26
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Dar, dar, dar-da-da, dar, dar, da........ Love them all - just I'd be lying if I didn't say that the ELP version is close to my heart (my first ELP album - as I think it was at a budget price to match my pocket money at the time). Wonderful melodies!
To me it was also first album from ELP I heard (my brother had a cassette version of it) so itīs still my fav ELP-album!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 23:33
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I was present at the gig in Newcastle when ELP recorded the album in 1971, and I was not very impressed. Emerson's playing was sloppy at times (he spent too much time showing off) and some of the arrangements are a bit naff. Lake was the best by far - a great singer.
I've got the album, but almost never play it. And I never went to see ELP again.
I have some while thought, that Emerson is the one who at least partly spoils ELP. The meaning of his playing sometimes seem to be just showing his skills, not making great music, also I donīt always like his taste of synth sounds. But last night when I watched "Pictures" I really liked his "show", even it has also really bad taste humor. And have to say his classical music taste is really good, the Nice version of Sibelius Karelia Suite is also really great!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 02:01
Apparently there are around 50 unique classical arrangements of it alone ( my source being a BBC documentary from probably 10 years ago - might be on y/t) even before you get to everyone else's!

ELP's version is the first album I ever bought with my own money as a 14 year old in 1976 (Ģ2 if I recall correctly) . I really hated it aside from The Old Castle/Blues Variation . Just one long rambling noise that didn't seem to go anywhere and a very excited crowd which just seemed strange. 

Over the years my feelings probably haven' changed that much and that's coming from a massive ELP fan who regards Keith Emerson as the great God of music . It served a purpose in its time. When they played live at The Isle Of Wight this was pretty much all they had. Thankfully it gradually got slimmed down to something more manageable and sensible. My favourite ELP version is the 1978 Nassau Colloseum version minus the orchestra. Nailed and job done. The version from Mar Y Sol festival (1972) I would also highly recommend. The organ crackles and Palmer is on fire behind the kit!

I enjoy the Tomita version. Emerson was very impressed with this and it influenced his re-arranged version in 1977 that ELP performed at the Montreal Olympic stadium. 

I don't listen to the classical versions that much although I do own one of them. 

Voted for all versions.

Edited by richardh - March 28 2020 at 02:04
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 03:56
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Never heard Tomitaīs version, but I didnīt like at all his version of Holst Planets, so I believe itīs not for me. When looking the information about the suite last night, to my surprise there seem to be really many non-classical versions, even Tangerine Dream has made version from Promenade. Anyway havenīt heard Ravelīs version as whole (we listened parts of orchestra version in school), going to listen first thing in this morning.

Great to see lots of love in this great work and also outside ELP:s version!
Hi,

Tomita's touch is an acquired taste sometimes ... but some things of his really stand out ... the first album (Snowflakes are Dancing) is a must in all collections ... and at that time, everyone kinda thought that the synthesizer could only do what Wendy/Walter Carlos did, which was (to my ears) more about fun, than it was an extension of the synthesizer ... but his next album (Pictures at an Exhibition) kinda stretches your imagination a lot, unless you know the piece, and you will find it a nice rendition of it. His 3rd album with the Firebird Suite is the one I like the most ... and probably his best. The Holst version is rather nice, but probably one that you will like better if you know the piece. 

I'm not sure I know which "version" I like better of PAAE ... since I like them all, and find that some details here and there are better on one than the other ... some parts fit ELP better than Tomita, or the classical touch for my ears!

TD is full of classical music ... and it is the reason why I consider Edgar Froese "symphonic" because all of the music during his life had that touch and feel ... as soon as he passed the new version of TD has lost that "symphonic" feel ... and I don't think those guys can get it back ... on their own, they are too "metalic" ... for my tastes ... too much machine ... I had never thought of "machine" listening to TD since ALPHA CENTAURI ... !!!!!

Edited by moshkito - March 28 2020 at 04:16
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 04:12

I have some while thought, that Emerson is the one who at least partly spoils ELP. The meaning of his playing sometimes seem to be just showing his skills, not making great music, also I donīt always like his taste of synth sounds. But last night when I watched "Pictures" I really liked his "show", even it has also really bad taste humor. And have to say his classical music taste is really good, the Nice version of Sibelius Karelia Suite is also really great!

HI,

The weird thing is that Keith Emerson is the one that was into classical music, and even did pieces with The Nice ... He did Sibelius, Bach and Tchaikovsky in that group ... and probably other bits we are not aware of.

For comparison, try this ... play ELP's The Endless Enigma (both parts) and then look for Rachel Flowers Piano version of this (she also has an organ version) ... and you will find that it is a SOLID piano concert ... that was adjusted for his mates and the rock music of the day ... and another example, even better, is the first album ... listen to "Take a Pebble" and it is ... a superb piano piece and concert by itself ... and I have always thought that Keith was a superb composer ... that could not ... sell a piano concert to anyone ... because the time for classical music was over and dead and done ... no one listens to it for the piano anymore ... and all many folks can think of are the stage antics, that were done more for the fans, to ensure they did not get bored with things ... knowing darn well that a rock audience did not (and STILL does NOT) have the patience to sit through a piano concert.

If Keith has said that he was doing his piano concert #3 ... after 15 minutes a lot of the fans would boo and get upset ... and this is one of the saddest and ugliest sides of rock music ... no appreciation for music whatsoever ... and not allow a player to showcase their talents ... and this is very visible in America and England ... although I can not speak for Germany, France or Italy ... but seeing an orchestra do Tangerine Dream ... is beyond anything that you and I could ever conceive or think ... and if there is something that deserves a recording that does, but my guess is that "purists" have killed that album ... and think that it hurts TD.

The synthesizer and players like Keith Emerson need to get the appreciation for some excellent compositions, and above all ... appreciation for so much music and giving us something ... that is more than once in a lifetime thing and event ... you don't get more than one chance to see a Misha, or Nureyev, or even a Pavarotti (my favorite is the voice of Renata Tebaldi) ... and it is really hard to put these things in perspective in a place like PA, that only worships the almighty "hit" because it sold, and the rest of the music is just sh*t!

I'm just glad (and very proud) to see this thread ... 

Edited by moshkito - March 28 2020 at 04:12
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 05:37
Only ELP version. Although I do like this album, it doesn't impress me like Tarkus or Brain Salad Surgery.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 07:27

I actually prefer Emerson's playing in the Nice (in fact I generally prefer the Nice as a band), plus the Karelia Suite is one of my favourite pieces of music (but I love all Sibelius music).
I saw Mostly Autumn a few weeks ago at their bash at the Lion Inn on Blakey Ridge, and the start of the second set was Troy Donockley (Nightwish) and Iain Jennings playing the slow movement of Sibelius's  Finlandia Suite on pipes and keyboards. Breathtakingly beautiful.

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 07:31

I actually prefer Emerson's playing in the Nice (in fact I generally prefer the Nice as a band), plus the Karelia Suite is one of my favourite pieces of music (but I love all Sibelius music).
I saw Mostly Autumn a few weeks ago at their bash at the Lion Inn on Blakey Ridge, and the start of the second set was Troy Donockley (Nightwish) and Iain Jennings playing the slow movement of Sibelius's  Finlandia Suite on pipes and keyboards. Breathtakingly beautiful.

"But last night when I watched "Pictures" I really liked his "show", even it has also really bad taste humor"

He was nowhere near Rick Wakeman for that. Wakeman is a first class stand up comedian - watch his induction into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. As a 70+ man, the bit about the prostate inspection brought tears to my eyes, but it was bloody funny.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 08:02

Me too! Emerson hammond playing is just great, also I prefer the Nice from ELP.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 08:06

"But last night when I watched "Pictures" I really liked his "show", even it has also really bad taste humor"

He was nowhere near Rick Wakeman for that. Wakeman is a first class stand up comedian - watch his induction into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. As a 70+ man, the bit about the prostate inspection brought tears to my eyes, but it was bloody funny.
Agree also, Wakeman has been also comedy man without purpose, I am talking about his classic curry and "Arthur on ice" -cases! But on the other hand I think Wakeman has always got lot more style in his keyboard playing than Emerson (except with hammond theyīre equal).
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 08:09
I have no idea if this is widely accepted, but I remember the first time I heard Grieg's 'Peer Gynt' in its entirety, and realised immediately that Lake had pinched the main opening melody from 'Solveig's Song' for 'The Sage'.

Edited by Braka1 - March 28 2020 at 08:15

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>