Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Max Webster fans?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fronobulax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Max Webster fans?
    Posted: March 29 2020 at 17:09
This great band needs more love! A phenomenal Canadian band perhaps best known as opening for Rush on several tours, MW released 5 amazing albums. If you've never checked them out, they are highly fun in these dark times!!! No shortage of surprises in their heavy and quirky discography:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNcI7F5-sCM&list=PLz6cAheObZci2pZbsheoZg8da5qVUgdbV

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 02:40
I saw them supporting Rush and they are a good band. Paradise Skies is a good album but I've not heard any others.

gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 05:29
Yes ,great band.Got a couple of 2 albums on 1 cd  packages.
Never saw them live unfortunately, but did see a cover band Mix Webster at my local.

Shake & bake.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 05:31

Saw Webster at my high school on a Friday night, plus many times in clubs or supporting other bands. They were wild on stage

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I saw them supporting Rush and they are a good band. Paradise Skies is a good album but I've not heard any others.

TBH, while still a good album (can't say the same for UJ, which oddly would bring them international attention), you can already feel the band falling apart ... and the sound production is quite different compared to their first three.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 15:13
'A million vacations'.. isn't that the lp with 'Paradise Skies' on? That's the lp I bought off the back of that Rush support.. its a great lp and I hadn't heard any other till recently. On a similar theme, FM 'Black Noise' was another band/lp I discovered off the back of a Rush support act

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 02:48
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

'A million vacations'.. isn't that the lp with 'Paradise Skies' on?

Yes, you're right, I was getting my tracks and albums muddled up. Thanks.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 03:31

'A million vacations'.. isn't that the lp with 'Paradise Skies' on? That's the lp I bought off the back of that Rush support.. its a great lp and I hadn't heard any other till recently. On a similar theme, FM 'Black Noise' was another band/lp I discovered off the back of a Rush support act

Black Noise is probably my fave prog album out of English Canada (with Ptarmigan and The Collector's debut)

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

'A million vacations'.. isn't that the lp with 'Paradise Skies' on?

Yes, you're right, I was getting my tracks and albums muddled up. Thanks.

Yup, I didn't even pick that up.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 09:50
Saw them supporting Rush once. IIRC, Geddy came out and sang a song with them wearing a mask, but you knew it was him with his distinctive voice. This is where Neil struck his collaboration with Pye Dubois on lyrics, as Pye also wrote for Max Webster.
I have a cassette of theirs somewhere in a box, assume it is Million Vacations.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 10:53
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Saw them supporting Rush once. IIRC, Geddy came out and sang a song with them wearing a mask, but you knew it was him with his distinctive voice. This is where Neil struck his collaboration with Pye Dubois on lyrics, as Pye also wrote for Max Webster.
I have a cassette of theirs somewhere in a box, assume it is Million Vacations.

It would have been fun if Geddy Lee had come out imitating the vocals of Barry White or Tom Waits, or perhaps Tiny Tim or Édith Piaf, and then transitioned to his own distinctive vocal style. ;)

By the way, I do recognise the song on youtube from the opening post, but I haven't heard much Max Webster, at least of which I am aware. I guess I would have heard various MW stuff on classic rock radio, especially as I reside in Canada. That said, I don't listen to a lot of hard rock/ AOR kind of bands.

Edited by Logan - April 01 2020 at 11:01
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 11:47
Didn't Max Webster and Rush do a single together? Battle scars? I don't remember much about it.. must see if I can find it on youtube..

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 12:32

Didn't Max Webster and Rush do a single together? Battle scars? I don't remember much about it.. must see if I can find it on youtube..

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 13:24
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Cheers!Smile

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 14:58
This is Kim solo. Really cool (and funny) song AND video!

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 15:14
^ I hadn't noticed before that Dustin from Stranger Things was in that video. ;)

"There's no bird nesting in my hair, a**hole" (Dustin Henderson).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 18:16
LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 18:39
^^ ClapLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply