Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is Your Favourite Beyond Twilight Album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which one?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.76%]
2 [9.52%]
1 [4.76%]
17 [80.95%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is Your Favourite Beyond Twilight Album?
    Posted: March 30 2020 at 17:01
Though they aren't a popular band, prog metal enthusiasts know about this band, albeit with exceptions.

I love all 3 of them, but their latest (and seemingly final) effort gets my vote. It could've had a better production, yet I see it as a genius work. (A big fan of Finn Zierler spoke.)

Edited by Shadowyzard - March 30 2020 at 17:07
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 11:35
Beyond Twilight is a pretty decent prog metal band, I'll go with their first album as it is their best IMO.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 14:07
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Beyond Twilight is a pretty decent prog metal band, I'll go with their first album as it is their best IMO.

Their first album is perfect and impactful. Lande is at his peak, the sound and everything about the album is fantastic.

I chose their last because it is labyrinthine and adventurous.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 05:19
Section X (2005)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 05:58
I haven't listened to this band in years, kinda got tired of them at some point. Might give'em another chance, see if I can still enjoy them. 
Funny fact - the band is called Beyond Twilight because there was (just) Twilight before that, not kidding, there were two albums, the one called Eye for an Eye (1994) is especially good. 

Edited by Cristi - April 01 2020 at 06:09
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 06:03
I have the first two albums by Beyond Twilight .. I was into them at one stage.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 13:00
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

Section X (2005)

If I had added "all of them, equally" option, I might have voted for it. Section X is also amazing. Kelly Carpenter is a criminally underrated singer, methinks.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 15:23
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

Section X (2005)

If I had added "all of them, equally" option, I might have voted for it. Section X is also amazing. Kelly Carpenter is a criminally underrated singer, methinks.

With a name like that, she might get confused with Karen Carpenter. I have heard of, but never heard this band. I feel like listening to something different from my usual fare, so I'm going to give The Devil's Hall of Fame, or least some of it, a spin later.

EDIT: I heard "The Devil's Hall of Fame", liked it and found it fun. I mean just the title-track.

Edited by Logan - April 01 2020 at 15:54
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 16:06
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

EDIT: I heard "The Devil's Hall of Fame", liked it and found it fun. I mean just the title-track.

Happy to hear that, they literally reflect delightful darkness on all their albums IMO. They are the epitome/equivalent of The Twilight Zone series, albeit in a musical context.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 16:20

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Happy to hear that, they literally reflect delightful darkness on all their albums IMO. They are the epitome/equivalent of The Twilight Zone series, albeit in a musical context.

Nicely phrased, and "delightful darkness" I'm going to have to adopt as that could be used to describe a lot of what I like -- although some might say that I just plain delight in darkness. I'm glad I checked it out and definitely will be listening to more by Beyond Twilight, starting with that whole album.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 16:23
Actually, the mastermind of Beyond Twilight, Finn Zierler is an idiosyncratic person and he is delighted to be in complete darkness.

Also, his latest album "Zierler - ESC" includes a song entitled Darkness Delight. Wink
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 18:28
I don't think I've heard of them but it's ok because many on here haven't heard of my beloved Mastermind. I suppose many were still in footy pajamas when they were making the rounds in the prog scene of the 90's. Otherwise no excuse. ;)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 04:08
Listening to The Devil's Hall of Fame (2001) right now, pretty good, Jorn's performance is excellent. I love his singing, even listened to some of his solo albums. But Ark and Masterplan was where he also shined. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 09:38
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Listening to The Devil's Hall of Fame (2001) right now, pretty good, Jorn's performance is excellent. I love his singing, even listened to some of his solo albums. But Ark and Masterplan was where he also shined. 

Despite the fact that I think Kelly Carpenter is a better singer (the epitome of unpopular opinion), Lande is more original. Especially regarding Beyond Twilight, Kelly mostly replicated Jorn Lande's style. He has found his own style in time, but after Beyond Twilight - Section X. I think Jorn is great in both Ark and Masterplan, but his performance in Beyond Twilight is beyond definition. One of a kind.

Edited by Shadowyzard - April 05 2020 at 09:39
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 09:45

Despite the fact that I think Kelly Carpenter is a better singer (the epitome of unpopular opinion), Lande is more original. Especially regarding Beyond Twilight, Kelly mostly replicated Jorn Lande's style. He has found his own style in time, but after Beyond Twilight - Section X. I think Jorn is great in both Ark and Masterplan, but his performance in Beyond Twilight is beyond definition. One of a kind.

My favorite Jorn performance is on Ark - Burn the Sun.

As for Carpenter, I've always found him rather show-off-ish, Hey look how good I am kind of attitude. He did a good job in Adagio.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 09:53

My favorite Jorn performance is on Ark - Burn the Sun.

As for Carpenter, I've always found him rather show-off-ish, Hey look how good I am kind of attitude. He did a good job in Adagio.

Ark - Burn the Sun is an incredible album, Lande adds to the value of it, for sure. Yet I think his most impressive performance is on the first Beyond Twilight album. Opinions may differ, of course. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 09:59

Ozzy Osbourne incarnate, haha. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 10:34

Ah and Kelly also did a good job on Darkology - Altered Reflections & Fated to Burn, and an even greater job on Zierler - ESC & Epysode - Obsessions. I believe it is the fate of the singers performing in various projects, instead of a single solid band. Singers like John West and Kelly Carpenter are experiencing the fate of being underrated for this reason. Think about Russell Allen, he has a solid and stable band called Symphony X, so he has received the recognition he deserves thanks to that, I suppose. Jorn is like an originator of a singing style, so he didn't experience that fate, methinks.

Edited by Shadowyzard - April 05 2020 at 10:42
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 11:23
Beyond Twilight - Lurking Fantasia [1999 Demo] - who's singing here?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 11:28

Beyond Twilight - Lurking Fantasia [1999 Demo] - who's singing here?

According to Encyclopedia Metallum; a guy named Torben Vistisen is that album's singer. I couldn't remember listening to that album, even if I happened to have done. Thanks for reminding, though. I'll see if I can find it on the net. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>