Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side of Life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Other Side of Life
    Posted: March 30 2020 at 20:34
I just listened to the Moody Blues album 'The Other Side of Life.' And to say I was pleasantly surprised would be a big understatement. I just wasn't expecting that at all. I really thoroughly thoroughly enjoyed that. There was only one track that I thought was just ok titled, 'I just don't care.' And literally ALL of the other songs I thoroughly enjoyed. I knew going on in that it wasn't part of their "Magnificent Seven" and no one had recommended it, so I wasn't expecting much. Just goes to show once again that sometimes in life you just never know.

Btw, if you go in expecting anything AT ALL groundbreaking or 'game changing' you will be quite disappointed(Days of Future Passed it is not). But if you want song after song that is nothing at all special but simply enjoyable then this album delivers. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 20:46
I had it a long time ago. I remember liking it quite a bit but it's not on the level of their earlier albums. I haven't heard it in a long time though. For a pop prog album you could do much worse imo. 

Anyway, if you think "the other side of life" is good wait until you hear "long distance voyager." Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 30 2020 at 20:47
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 20:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I had it a long time ago. I remember liking it quite a bit but it's not on the level of their earlier albums. I haven't heard it in a long time though. For a pop prog album you could do much worse imo. 

Anyway, if you think "the other side of life" is good wait until you hear "long distance voyager." Wink

I listened to Long Distance Voyager already(and talked about it in another thread on here). I liked it a lot too, but not as much as this album. That one had a bit more filler imo. Both very good albums though. And I've listened to all of their core 7 albums. Not sure what to go for next.

Btw, I'm well aware that that one is widely considered the better album. That's why I'd listened to it already, it WAS recommended to me.

Edited by YESESIS - March 30 2020 at 20:55
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 20:57
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

I listened to Long Distance Voyager already(and talked about it in another thread on here). I liked it a lot too, but not as much as this album. That one had a bit more filler imo. Both very good albums though. And I've listened to all of their core 7 albums. Not sure what to go for next.

Btw, I'm well aware that that one is widely considered the better album. Tha'st why I'd listened to it already, it WAS recommended to me.

Ok, then I recommend the Present and Sur La Mer next. If you liked TOSOL then definitely check out Sur Le Mer. I saw them on that tour and it was great. Unfortunately it was the only time I ever saw the Moodies. I would recommend staying away from Keys to the kingdome or anything later though. I suppose if you are just listening to these on youtube for free then it doesn't really matter. Lol. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 21:01
Yeah, I'm going to start actually buying the albums though. I always start with youtube just to make sure that it's an artist that I'm going to still want in my collection years from now. But I already can tell this band is.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 21:14

Yeah, I'm going to start actually buying the albums though. I always start with youtube just to make sure that it's an artist that I'm going to still want in my collection years from now. But I already can tell this band is.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions!

You're in for one heck of a ride. The Moodies are a great band(one of my top ten). Also, be sure to check out the Hayward/ Lodge album called Blue Jays. Based on what I've read you can skip Octave from 1978(at least for now). Also, don't bother with anything after Sur La Mer or at least just listen to them on youtube first. 

Just curious do you buy cds or vinyl when you do buy? New vinyl can be expensive(apparently at least 25 dollars for new albums) so personally I would look into cds ifd you have a cd player. If you don't mind spending the money then go for it though. Wink  

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 30 2020 at 23:43
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 21:20
CD's. That's what I meant. I have a discman and a cd player in car. Yeah, I'm liking this band a lot! I don't think they'll ever eclipse Yes or Genesis for me, but they could certainly end up being a favorite for sure!

Edit: Ok thanks again for the suggestions. Definitely helpful!

Edited by YESESIS - March 30 2020 at 21:21
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 01:09
The Other Side of Life is the only Moody Blues album I don't have on CD, but I'd love to add it to my collection. I'd recommend any of their albums without exception and the Blue Jays album with Justin Hayward & John Lodge is especially good. The CD version of the album includes the bonus track "Blue Guitar"

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 31 2020 at 01:14
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 07:32

Have you heard Long Distance traveler? Just curios.

This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 09:36
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Have you heard Long Distance traveler? Just curious.

He already mentioned he had in post number 3. Wink
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 09:45

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Have you heard Long Distance traveler? Just curious.

He already mentioned he had in post number 3. Wink
I usually skip over your posts. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 14:54
I think it's underrated, but people rate it so badly that how else could it be?  Just for the opening track, the title track (which swings like nothing they have ever done), and "It May be a fire", it's worth it. The rest, meh
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 15:08

Btw, I'm well aware that that one is widely considered the better album. That's why I'd listened to it already, it WAS recommended to me.

you may as well listen to "The Present" as well.  It's got some nice understated songs
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 15:26
Apart from Long distance Voyager, im not quite so keen on the later lps.. I don't really like Pip Williams production on Voyager and Present.. its a bit too shiny, lightweight and poppy.. its the same with some of the later Barclay James Harvest lps (post 'Turn of the tide'- which i'd recommend, if you like later Moodies lps)
But Tony Visconti produced 'Other side of Life'... a definite improvement..

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 16:36
Funny you mention it - Moody Blues were my first love (along elwith the Beatles) growing up in the 70s. I bought Octave and Long Distance Voyager on the day of release, and then The Present after that. But then I stopped - and to this day I haven’t heard this album or any that follow it, apart from the hits. Thanks for giving me the excuse to pick it up sometime (probably for $3 or so). If someone out there likes it, maybe I will too.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 19:17
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I think it's underrated, but people rate it so badly that how else could it be?  Just for the opening track, the title track (which swings like nothing they have ever done), and "It May be a fire", it's worth it. The rest, meh

This one also..

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 19:24
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. HolyMoly, yes if you go in not expecting too much then I do think you'll like it. Cosmiclawnmower, I like Barclay James Harvest a lot too. My favorite album from them is Time Honoured Ghosts. And Paul, later albums are good too? Cool man, I'll check those out at some point also then.. Right on. I'll listen to the whole freakin discography lol.

Ok, I'm off to listen to The Present now. That seems to be the most recommended here. See how this goes.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 20:22
Ok that was absolutely great. This is getting absurd now.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 21:17
ahh man.. thought it was.. so making it so... there is only one The Other Side of This Life

stay healthy Jack... 

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 21:39
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ahh man.. thought it was.. so making it so... there is only one The Other Side of This Life

stay healthy Jack... 

That was pretty groovy man, right on. We built this city, yes Sir. Stay healthy brother.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>