Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Four albums: Battiato - Hammill - Schulze - Wyatt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Four albums: Battiato - Hammill - Schulze - Wyatt

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: .Choose as many or as few as you like of these.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [12.12%]
11 [33.33%]
9 [27.27%]
9 [27.27%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Four albums: Battiato - Hammill - Schulze - Wyatt
    Posted: March 31 2020 at 18:15
Again just four, and you can choose as many as you like -- well, no more than four (it's not a contest). Some tracks for those that don't know any or all of these albums, or need reminding.

Franco Battiato - Sulle corde di Aries

Peter Hammill - The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage

Klaus Schulze - Mirage

Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 18:49
Hammill 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 19:19
Those 4 I'm familiar with...chose Schulze but they are all nice.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 01:19
Sorry Greg, can't choose only one between these four old friends.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 03:23
I generally love Hammill's work, but there are two total strikes of genius here, Rock Bottom and Sulle Corde di Aries. I have voted for Rock Bottom in so many polls and will give my love to the most astonishing Battiato album here. Klaus Schulze's work mostly fails to resonate with me, except Irrllicht.
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 04:36
I'm going to go out on a limb and vote for Mirage.  In the early to mid 90's I  broadcast a series of surreal comedy radio serials, and mostly used early Klaus Schulze albums as the background music. Thus whole scenes from them are imprinted on my brain with tracks from Mirage, along with Timewind, Moondawn, Irrclicht, Dune, etc.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 07:58
Klaus Schulze without a doubt.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 08:23
Robert Wyatt this time.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 08:58
^ Thanks for all the responses. :)

Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Sorry Greg, can't choose only one between these four old friends.

It's really great to see you again, Pierre. I'm in the same boat, I did make it multiple choice.

If one put a gun to my head, please don't, and forced me to choose just one, since I listened again to Sulle corde di Aries last night, like Lewian, that would get my vote (I was expecting Micky to give that a vote last night, but my predictions often turn out wrong). Rock Bottom very likely is the album that has been in more polls than any other by me, and there is no album I like more than that that is in PA.

Braka, do you have recordings of those surreal comedy radio serials uploaded anywhere. I'd love to hear them if you do.

Edited by Logan - April 01 2020 at 09:00
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 09:39
Voted for all four, I like them all and they are too different to pick favorites.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 10:57
Between Battiato and Wyatt, I can't decide.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 11:05
^ Then vote for both. :) Like you and Lewian, those would be my top two choices despite liking all four very much.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 12:27
KLAUS! Mirage is probably my favorite record of his. Great poll, Logan.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 12:52
^ Thanks, I think it's an amazing album, can be so glacial and beautiful, and I really like all of his 70s albums. I'm not so familiar with his later works, but like with Tangerine Dream that I found I enjoyed more than the 70s classics (after having once, twice or thrice rather dismissed later works unfairly), I also want to expand my knowledge with Schulze. Actually, I guess I have heard Audentity and bits of pieces of other albums.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 14:32
Great selection here. I could choose all four, but I pick Schulze for my younger years (Mirage was my favourite when I was about 20) and Battiato for my advancing age.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 14:56
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Thanks, I think it's an amazing album, can be so glacial and beautiful, and I really like all of his 70s albums. I'm not so familiar with his later works, but like with Tangerine Dream that I found I enjoyed more than the 70s classics (after having once, twice or thrice rather dismissed later works unfairly), I also want to expand my knowledge with Schulze. Actually, I guess I have heard Audentity and bits of pieces of other albums.

Be careful with his '80s output. Dreams isn't bad, but En=Trance is definitely not good. He was kind of stuck on a "formula." His recent albums are much better. Shadowlands surprised me.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 15:18
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Be careful with his '80s output. Dreams isn't bad, but En=Trance is definitely not good. He was kind of stuck on a "formula." His recent albums are much better. Shadowlands surprised me.

I'll definitely check out Shadowlands, thanks! Kontinuum is one of his this millennium albums that I've been meaning to check out.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 20:16
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

there are two total strikes of genius here, Rock Bottom and Sulle Corde di Aries. I have voted for Rock Bottom in so many polls and will give my love to the most astonishing Battiato album here. 

word.... hard to really top that album...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 06:55
Love Mirage

not a fan of Rock Bottom

will check out Franco
Prog On!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 01:34
Argh!!!!!! this wasn`t easy all  four are worthy of the vote! 

Peter Hammill Star than Wyatt than Schulze than Battiato 

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply