Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

White port & lemon juice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tendiwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White port & lemon juice
    Posted: April 01 2020 at 13:57
I know about this drink from the song WPLJ by Zappa and the Mothers, which is a cover of this song by the Four Deuces from 1955.

I'm a fan of both Frank Zappa and early rhythm & blues and doo-wop. Another nice song is Zappa's The Man From Utopia Meets Mary Lou. This song is a combination of the fine Donald Woods & The Vel-Aires' Man From Utopia (1955) and the absolute killer Mary Lou by Young Jessie (also 1955).

Anyway, back to the drink. I've made WPLJ by mixing a glass of white port with juice from about a quarter of lemon. I couldn't say I liked it! In the song they take the lemon juice from a can. Is that how they sold lemon juice in the 50s? Maybe they don't mean pure lemon juice, but some kind of sweetened soft drink?

Edited by Tendiwa - April 01 2020 at 13:59
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 14:32
I don't much like the sound of that.

While in Australia, I would often drink Southern Comfort mixed with what they called lemon squash (a kind of lemon flavoured carbonated soft-drink), which you can buy in cans. Try adding some Angostura bitters, if you can get it.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 06:41
Funny - just reading this and for years I thought Zappa was singing “ Wife pours the lemon juice “ 😳
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 15:10
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I don't much like the sound of that.

While in Australia, I would often drink Southern Comfort mixed with what they called lemon squash (a kind of lemon flavoured carbonated soft-drink), which you can buy in cans. Try adding some Angostura bitters, if you can get it.

Yes...in the old days many in my family used to drink Southern Comfort mixed with 50/50 soft drink...a grapefruit lime drink.
Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2020 at 13:50
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Funny - just reading this and for years I thought Zappa was singing “ Wife pours the lemon juice “ 😳

I originally thought he was saying 'white pony lemon juice'. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2020 at 15:14
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I originally thought he was saying 'white pony lemon juice'. 
😆
 Post Reply Post Reply