24 [47.06%]
27 [52.94%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brave v Subterranea
    Posted: April 12 2020 at 02:21
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

IQ sh*ts on Marillion from a great height...

LOL

it's not funny, don't encourage him. 

LOL 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 14:42
Brave floored me since it hit the shelves way back when. Still love it, but I prefer I.Q..
Subterranea being a massive 100 minutes of concentrated effort. Been a long time since I listened to either.....need to change that.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 00:47
I've always loved Seasons End , seemed a very important break from the usual seventies influenced stuff. But I remember getting very bored with their 90's stuff and had moved onto a lot more interesting stuff that was coming out in that decade. However I do have a massive soft spot for Hogarth and the recent albums have been more of what I like to hear from them.
GoliathTMV View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoliathTMV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 19:49
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

I'm pitching Marillion against IQ again.  Two classic concept albums.  Very tough choice for me, but for once I will have to go with Marillion, for The Great Escape if nothing else...
Great Escape is Marillion's best song hands down
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 08:21
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

Brave, one of the best Marillion albums (against one average IQ album).

Ah, but the average IQ album is very, very, very good....
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 12:38
Brave, one of the best Marillion albums (against one average IQ album).
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 02:14
EBIW...Aye, the instrumental ending of Sleepless is one of those music moments that is so visceral it raises your heart beat in the plateu phase of a karmic orgasm....
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 01:25
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

I haven't listened to Subterranea in a very long time, usually when I'm in the mood for IQ I listen to other albums - debut, Ever, Dark Matter, even Frequency got more listens.

I am gonna try and give it a listen today.

It took me a very long time to appreciate Subby.  Up to that point, I only knew (and loved) the Menel albums, was there the night the band split at The Marquee.  When I got Subterranea I found it very difficult to get into, didn't like the new singer's voice at all!  But "persistence, paid off in the endddd" and it's one of my favourite IQ albums.  So many highlights, but the end section of Sleepless Incidental, and the whole of The Narrow Margin are probably my favourites.

Hope you've enjoyed it today: if not, listen again...and again...and again....

I got no problem getting into it, I don't find it challenging, it is enjoyable, great songwriting and atmosphere. It's definitely a good album.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 23:45
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Brave, every day of the week, and I love IQ

this!!ClapClap
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 10:48

I haven't listened to Subterranea in a very long time, usually when I'm in the mood for IQ I listen to other albums - debut, Ever, Dark Matter, even Frequency got more listens.

It took me a very long time to appreciate Subby.  Up to that point, I only knew (and loved) the Menel albums, was there the night the band split at The Marquee.  When I got Subterranea I found it very difficult to get into, didn't like the new singer's voice at all!  But "persistence, paid off in the endddd" and it's one of my favourite IQ albums.  So many highlights, but the end section of Sleepless Incidental, and the whole of The Narrow Margin are probably my favourites.

Hope you've enjoyed it today: if not, listen again...and again...and again....
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 08:10
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I'm going to have to give these a honest chance I suppose. I tried brave once and wasn't into it but as someone else said here, perhaps it will be a grower after several listens.

Stick with it. It is an extremely complex suite of music, with emotions at peak. Patience has its reward with Brave.

Gonna give Brave a try tonight!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 02:08

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 17:27
Locked in as is the most of the World, I listened to both albums one after the other tonight.
And my conclusion is that Brave is not quite as good as I remember it and Subterranea is even better than I thought, which I find hard to believe. The Narrow Margin is one of the best things in all prog.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 09:42
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I'm going to have to give these a honest chance I suppose. I tried brave once and wasn't into it but as someone else said here, perhaps it will be a grower after several listens.

Stick with it. It is an extremely complex suite of music, with emotions at peak. Patience has its reward with Brave.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 09:05
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 03:30
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Hogarth led Marillion is one of the few bands that literally makes me want to vomit
Fish led Marillion is one of my favorite bands of all time and so is IQ
Subterranea is one of the best neo-prog albums ever so i think you get my drift :)
These are the type of comments that make me think ? what the .... sure I prefer Fish marillion as well ! its just I wouldn't call H Marillion bad or makes me want to vomit. When Marillion write a good song H marillion is great as well . I`m just thankful Marillion continued after Fish as I respect each musician in the band very much, they are still awesome at times even without Fish.Tongue my mind and ears are always open to anything Marillion releases because when they write a good song it's a great thing, Brave is a great album it's the type of album that requires several plays to reveal its greatness ! Big smile

Edited by Enchant X - April 05 2020 at 04:08
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 03:26
Originally posted by Clepsydra Clepsydra wrote:

H Marillion BLOWS AWAY FISH!!!!
I'm a big fan of Fish Marillion and just a fan of H Marillion, I guess it gets down to taste which you prefer. But Brave was an awesome album Tongue
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 01:45
I'm not a fan of Brave at all . Even when I saw it performed live in it's entirety I was very underwhelmed. A few years later I saw IQ do Subterranea at the Astoria and remember being mesmerised by Mike Holmes guitar playing. The guy was ( and still is) a class act , just couldn't take my eyes off him! They also did Last Human Gateway as an encore so that was a memorable night. Generally I prefer anything by IQ over Marillion although I like both bands. IQ lost their was in the 80's when Nicholls left and they never recovered that ground in terms of popularity although it's kinda kept them 'honest' and I'm always very glad that they are respected for at least being persistent if nothing else!  
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 05:29
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Hogarth led Marillion is one of the few bands that literally makes me want to vomit
Fish led Marillion is one of my favorite bands of all time and so is IQ
Subterranea is one of the best neo-prog albums ever so i think you get my drift :)

Yeah. Marillion were brilliant until they released script...the versions they recorded were no where near as OTT as the original songs...if you can get the friday rock show recordings, listen to them..
Far superior to the more commercial versions on their debut...a sell out that IQ took three releases to do...
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 02:32
IQ
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>