Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A rather eccentric film musicals poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Choose any favourites of these (multiple choice).
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.86%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.71%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.71%]
7 [20.00%]
5 [14.29%]
1 [2.86%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.57%]
2 [5.71%]
5 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.71%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 14:02
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^^ By the way, Pedro, I'm sorry if you feel sad and punished. That was not my intention. In the selective bit you quoted from my longer post, I was explaining it as a general feeling of mine at the forum. I was telling you that sometimes that is how I feel at the forum with various members and at various times. And sometimes I don't feel really listened to. I'm sure many of us feel that way at times, and sometimes it's true, and that's okay. We all want to feel understood.

Hi,

I value these postings and comments a lot ... they are some of the most valuable and important for me on this board, because it is a reality in the discussion of an ART ... not just another film or movie, or TV show. Or a song!

Of your list, goodness ... I think I have reviews quite a percentage of those films! I usually skip most American films, because I do not think that we need another Hitchcock film review ... to bore everyone silly ... and besides ... things have changed so much with hand held cameras ... that some of those films don't even appear as good as they should for today's audiences!

Thanks, it's appreciated. And I am really glad that we have a few such as yourself that share a love of world cinema and movements such as La Nouvelle Vague. Another thing we have in common, though I expect you've looked and thought more about it, is that I'm very interested in the interstices of art and thinking about things holistically (how politics affects art, how the arts correlate, how different movements collide and reinforce each other, how ideology affects art, and art affects ideology etc. etc.)

Edited by Logan - April 06 2020 at 22:45
Just a fanboy passin' through.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 16:55
I love Bugsy, Pennies from Heaven, Dancer in the Dark, A Mighty Wind, and Spinal Tap, but had to go with The Meaning of Life.

Also love Bulworth, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, Play it Again, Sam, Waiting for Guffman, and Jabberwocky.  
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 17:00
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I love Bugsy, Pennies from Heaven, Dancer in the Dark, A Mighty Wind, and Spinal Tap, but had to go with The Meaning of Life.

Also love Bulworth, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, Play it Again, Sam, Waiting for Guffman, and Jabberwocky.  

Ditto to all of those.   
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 22:29
A bit of love to Labyrinth..  : )

Saw it when I was kid enough that those bizarre little puppets gave me chills.

I got it downloaded and have seen it recently.

Now watching (and loving) the 'Dark Crystal' series that also appeared on your Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions thread. Thumbs Up  (I like to watch and finish series very slowly).

I remember reading one of your posts about it the same day one of my younger brothers (to whom I had recently showed the original 'Dark Crystal' movie) mentioned me the new series. I remember having asked him astonished 'You sure it's with.. puppets??' unbelievable.

The others I know are only Meaning of Life and Dancer in the Dark.

Meaning of Life.. some 4 summers ago on vacations, we put it to our dads one night..  that was funny… they quietly reached the scene when the fat man explodes..  LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL  ..and couldn't stand no more. But they sure laughed by the way.. for the sheer ABSURDITY!  'Fishy fishy fishy fish..'  LOL

RIP Terry Jones.

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 23:12
Have to say about "Sgt" that my brother has that soundtrack album, I think I have listened it a bit a many years ago and thought it was just so horrible! Never seen that film, do you think I should (I just wonder would it be really suffer to me)?

BTW why you Logan didnīt put here "Hair"-soundtrack from 1979? Itīs not also the greatest piece of music (not totally bad also), but really would have fit here.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 09:20
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

BTW why you Logan didnīt put here "Hair"-soundtrack from 1979? Itīs not also the greatest piece of music (not totally bad also), but really would have fit here.

Hi,

My thoughts are that HAIR is too far out and out there for folks at PA ... Wink Tongue Sleepy

And one of the possible reasons, is not Logan's fault ... but a whole bunch of their songs were taken by at least two other bands, and they made millions off it, which did not help save the Aquarius Theater ... when it was next to the Cinerama Dome (... what a great night and double bill that would be!!!! 2001 and Hair!!!!!) ... instead of its newer location, which is not as comfy and lively as the old one was ... maybe it was the dope smoke that made the atmosphere better ... I doubt it!

BTW, the London version had ... Sonja Christina on it ... yeah ... 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 07:37
I have seen Hair (as a youngster on TV), could sing various lyrics from various songs off of it, and Miloš Forman is a director that I've followed, but it's largely down to simple neglect. I had thought of it, but then forgot about adding it to the list, then later thought of it again but couldn't be bothered to edit it.   That happens to me quite a lot, especially as I often get called away when typing these things out. That said, I referred to several lists to supplement my own, and to remember various ones as I'm not really big on musicals generally, of the weird/ eccentric and cult musical ilk and it didn't show up in those perhaps because of its significant mainstream success on film, on Broadway. A film like Rocky Horror became successful as a kind of cult classic, but Hair: An American Tribal Love-Rock Musical had been a popular musical and as said above, the songs became often covered (used in shampoo commercials too), so maybe the sheen of Hair, this musical about the counterculture, was seen to have too much of mainstream pedigree for some of those I looked at. I was surprised that none of those lists included The First Nudie Musical, which I had first come across reading a book about cult cinema as a kid.

Another I had originally thought to add, but then forgot about was The Producers (also not on the lists I referred to), but I started off typing some out from my own head. Later I added some that I had not originally planned to include as I felt they did't quite fit my original conception of eccentric film musicals.

Ah well, such polls will never be definitive and I should remember to always think of as merely accessories to discussion (I do aim to bring some of the weirder obscurities to attention). Of a not so little know one of the list, I am surprised that Phantom of the paradise has no votes. I did a little topic on this 17 or so years ago (how time flies) at another forum -- for the sci-fi TV show LEXX, which had it's own musical episode. As it turned out, one of the posters (a smaller community than this one, about 30 regular posters, we were a close-knit group, met quite a number of them in my fairly short time there as one lived in Vancouver and we became firm friends and there was a convention in my area where I met up with others, was a dancer in that film and was able to share the photo evidence. I think she was also an extra in Logan's Run (the film from which my user name here derives, there I was called FunkET).

By the way, Captcha is killing this forum for me. I get hit with it again and again and again in every aspect of this site, and then can't post and have to try again. And when I'm on my phone it's really hard to see the images.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 08:08
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

A film like Rocky Horror became successful as a kind of cult classic, but Hair: An American Tribal Love-Rock Musical had been a popular musical and as said above, the songs became often covered (used in shampoo commercials too), so maybe the sheen of Hair, this musical about the counterculture, was seen to have too much of mainstream pedigree for some of those I looked at. 
Hi,

Both of these made their fame in Hollywood, and this is something that always bothers New York ... and you will notice that the big "blockbusters" from NY rarely make it big in Hollywood/LA unless the star is bigger than the universe as has happened in the past with CAMELOT (Richard Harris), ABELARD AND HELOISE (Dianna Rigg and Keith Michell) and one I liked a lot, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore that had people cackling in the isles laughing!

HAIR, originally was not called that and in the originals I saw at the Aquarius, it was simply "HAIR" and I do not remember the extra wording. I think it was added later, because many folks thought THREE DOG NIGHT and THE FIFTH DIMENSION had written a bunch of songs that were taken from the show. I might even consider that it was an attempt at getting a new audience into seeing the original show.

THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW as far as I remember, was already 5 years later, and made its name in the ROXY in Hollywood ... with many of the well known cast for it, including MEATLOAF driving up through the audience to the stage on a Harley!

My take on both of these was that they were "musicals" but I think, probably a jaded view!, that the material was better suited to their story than a lot of musical material that sometimes added something just to make a scene of moment ... I'm the worst at musicals, I tell you, but I never felt I was watching a musical when watching both of the plays above within their original design and concepts.

All in all, I think that UNLIKE MOST MUSICALS that are not necessarily related to any time and place, with the exception of possibly WEST SIDE STORY, both of these above were a strong part of the whole scene, although I kinda think (NOW!!!) that HAIR, perhaps flouted the thing a bit much and made sure it appealed to the folks from out of town (specially small towns), that some nudity was here. And THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW was, in many ways, about a lot of the scene at the time in Hollywood, that had turned to the physical side of things a lot more ... and you could NOT walk down the Strip and feel uncomfortable with some of the things that you were seeing ... and you better not get caught laughing or your nose will likely get remodeled and no one will help you!

Compared to today's music, that is so far and away from so much of the arts, it's really hard for me to not appreciate these things and what they helped bring out ... there are so few, almost NO bands in the past 20 years that are connected to the arts so well and strongly, and their "prog" and "progressive" this and that is a lot more talk than it is a reality!

Sadly, this was the "end" of the 60's, and these two musicals are but a memory of the time and place and how weird and strange things got, something that the media used to help kill the idea of the "love generation" ... and how it made so much money for so many "muthers" that were a part of the rip-off establishment instead of helping the arts and the musicians that deserved it. 

PS: There is one moment in the extra stuff from the Woodstock film and it is one that is not only scary, but also a true rendition of what happened in the time and place in America ... and it is Janis Joplin going nuts asking for love and screaming, which got cut short and pretty much deleted ... and the scene went out in a horrible shriek of emotion ... that no one heard, and helped! Saddest thing I ever have heard and seen in any of the arts!

Edited by moshkito - June 04 2020 at 08:08
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 09:58
I know only a few of the films on the list.

Labyrinth: I liked it as a kid. Today I find it rather silly and sometimes messy, but I guess it has become a guilty pleasure. It definitely has its charm. Musically it's clearly not David Bowie at his best, and actually I think he looks kind of ridiculous in that outfit. My favourite part is probably the bird that is the hat of an old man.

Monty Python's Meaning of Life is one of their most black humorous efforts, but not entirely on the same level as The Holy Grail and Life of Brian. Still enjoy it though.

The Rutles is a hilarious deconstruction of the Beatles myth. It's impact will surely last a lunchtime.

Spinal Tap I absolutely love. I have watched it multiple times without getting tired of it.

Tommy: Totally over-the-top and spectacular just for the sake of being spectacular. At times it's downright cringeworthy, and there are things that don't make sense and just annoy me. F.e. why does Jack Nicholson have to send these creepy looks at Ann Margaret during "Go to the Mirror"? What does it have to do with the storyline?. The film sadly misses the emotion of the original work, but I have to admit I quite enjoy it.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 14:32
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Monty Python's Meaning of Life is one of their most black humorous efforts, but not entirely on the same level as The Holy Grail and Life of Brian. Still enjoy it though.

Hi,

I wish I could comment on this film, and I might have to see it again, but it never really stood out for me, and in those days I was not a MP fan at all ... all of the 70's were spent listening to The Goons, The Firesign Theater, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore and a couple of other good/great comedians, not buffoons trying to get your attention on the telly as so many folks from that poor excuse of comedy on the weekends!

The Rutles is a hilarious deconstruction of the Beatles myth. It's impact will surely last a lunchtime.

Spinal Tap I absolutely love. I have watched it multiple times without getting tired of it.

The Rutles, for me, was nice, and I liked the music better than the movie itself.

Spinal Tap, is fine, however, I really thought that it was not as funny as people think by playing up to the TV cues and shots to get more attention. It has its good moments, but it really needed a few more English folks to make the comedy even better ... but I doubt that they wanted to even consider things like The Bonzo Dog Band and other big time comedy folks in England whose specialty was music ... but SP took on rock music and made fun of the fame thing and such, which was fine, but in many ways, it felt like it was done specially for the MTV generation only, not for anyone else.

Tommy: Totally over-the-top and spectacular just for the sake of being spectacular. At times it's downright cringeworthy, and there are things that don't make sense and just annoy me. F.e. why does Jack Nicholson have to send these creepy looks at Ann Margaret during "Go to the Mirror"? What does it have to do with the storyline?. The film sadly misses the emotion of the original work, but I have to admit I quite enjoy it.

This is the one film by Ken Russell that I will not review or bother with. First of all, I think that Ken probably thought that a lot of these rock music things were over done anyway, and he had been a part of many folk music festivals (has more than one to his credit), and I had the feeling he didn't care if it was over the top or not. I think that he once said that they threw so much money at him for it, that he thought he might as well do something over the top! 

This is the one "rock opera" that needs to be done with proper film and a director that is not into what KR did with the film, but THE WHO was not going to complaint since it doubled the sales of the album over night, even though I am not sure that the film was that well liked by critics, but it was a fun film to sit through just like you would one of Gonzo's craparoni totally stoned out of your mind! AND getting paid for it, which I think was what all this was about!

SIDEBAR ... the best version of PINBALL WIZARD is the one that was never used or considered ... go listen to Roger Ruskin Spear's 2nd album, for a heck of a far out version that even EJ would not sing or consider ... but it sure was a lot more fun to listen to! And to screen that would have made MTV look stupid!

Edited by moshkito - June 04 2020 at 14:33
www.pedrosena.com
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 09:19
I'm going to put in a mention for 'Shock Treatment' as one of the most disappointing films I ever saw. How did Richard O'Brien go from brilliant to bomb in one step? 

What about 'Still Crazy'?  Not to be confused with the much earlier, but also musical 'Get Crazy'.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 15:27
The Meaning Of Life
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 16:13
A Mighty Wind, some of the best mock-music ever written and a nice followup to Spinal Tap.  Won a Grammy and almost an Oscar.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 16:16
other...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 17:51
Phantom of the Paradise. Great soundtrack.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123