Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Four from Cos, Picchio dal Pozzo and Supersister
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Four from Cos, Picchio dal Pozzo and Supersister

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Vote for a preferred album
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [5.88%]
4 [23.53%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [11.76%]
2 [11.76%]
1 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [11.76%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.88%]
1 [5.88%]
3 [17.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Four from Cos, Picchio dal Pozzo and Supersister
    Posted: April 05 2020 at 21:18
I've procrastinated far so much today, so why stop now?

Here are three non-English "Canterbury sound" bands. I have included four albums from each band. Please vote for a preferred album if you can, otherwise, I have another option and you can list all your favourites in a post.
Normally I'd like to arrange by release date, but I'm feeling lazy and am just listing them in the order below.

I for one would find it very hard to choose, but maybe I'd go with Viva Boma if forced to pick. I was going to do multiple choice-- I have yet to to see signs of abuse in any of my pols -- but opted not to.

Cos:

Postaeolian Train Robbery
Viva Boma
Babel
Pasiones

Picchio dal Pozzo:

Picchio dal Pozzo
Abbiamo tutti i suoi problemi
Camere Zimmer Rooms
Pic_nic@Valdapozzo

Supersister:

Present From Nancy
To the Highe$t Bidder
Pudding en Gisteren
Iskander

Bonus: If you had to choose one, two, three or four albums in this poll from all three of these bands, what would they be?
Just a fanboy passin' through.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 22:32
Wow. All four Supersister albums and the first two Picchio dal Pozzo.
I can't choose between all of these~!

Cos is great too but not quite as good to my ears.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 05:30
I thought this was going to be multiple choice...

My vote went to Viva Boma. I can live with that.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 06:34
I voted too hard to choose, since there are albums here that I like very much and cannot decide.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 08:40
As much as I love the first two from COS and the first three from SUPERSISTER, I had to go with the greatest Canterbury style album of the the 1970s, Picchio dal Pozzo

(The greatest Canterbury style album of all-time, in my very impassioned opinion, is HOMUNCULUS RES's debut, Limiti all'eguaglianza della parte con il tutto.)
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 12:21
^ That Homunculus Res album is terrific.

I too find Picchio dal Pozzo's debut marvelous and I find it to be a magical album -- it's definitely the one one the list that I have recommended the most to people. I like the album very much, but I was rather surprised to see that Abbiamo tutti i suoi problemi is higher rated at PA than the self-titled -- it has less ratings, but a higher score.   Since there are not huge numbers by any means, and we have our own rather peculiar algorithm, it means even less than ratings often mean to me. For that matter, since Piccio dal Pozzo would get talked about at the forum quite a lot (albeit from the same people again and again, including me), and it was an early discovery of mine when I started to deeply explore Prog, I might have expected it to have more ratings, but then I sometimes think that is a bigger site than it is, and I would like to that Canterbury style outside of England is more popular than it actually is.

Side note: There's Ccanterbury Scene, or sound as I call it, outside of Canterbury, there's Krautrock outside of Germany (and there's Zeuhl outside of Kobaia, and plenty of gongs not found on Planet Gong), but there's no RPI act found out of Italy (although I've heard some others from South America and Spain which may have an RPI sort of sound). Its the only category here which is country/ region specific.

At rateyourmusic, not surprisingly, PdP's debut has over three times as many ratings as at PA, wheras the second has a little over twice as many ratings, and the debut is higher rated at RYM (it doesn't mean much and different algorithms play a part, but I have liked to compare the rankings and ratings at both sites).

It is indeed, verily and truly, a magical album for me. I do have all of these PdP albums and I like the first three particularly, but the debut is the one that is most special to me. That said, I adore "Mettiamo il caso" off the second, and it hearkens back directly to music off the self-titled.

As for Supersister, that is the most considtently good of these for me. I like all four albums very much.   

With COS I love those first three albums. I'm one that holds Babel in much higher regard than many, and with so few ratings, it's clearly disregarded by many. It actually is the album I have returned to the most from the list. I find it to be such a vibrant album. But then I also really like Comus's second, and enjoy Magma's Merci (but I do put Babel over those as I find Babel thoroughly enjoyable). Certain funky disco qualities perhaps put some people off.

By the way, here is how PA rates these albums:

For Cos:

Postaeolian Train Robbery 4.20 | 109 ratings
Viva Boma 4.20 | 214 ratings
Babel 3.75 | 52 ratings
Pasiones 3.36 | 21 ratings

For Piccio dal Pozzo:

Picchio dal Pozzo 4.11 | 268 ratings
Abbiamo Tutti I Suoi Problemi 4.16 | 117 ratings
Camere Zimmer Rooms 4.04 | 86 ratings
Pic_nic'@'Valdapozzo 3.53 | 30 ratings

For Supersister:

Present from Nancy 4.04 | 226 ratings
To the Highest Bidder 4.26 | 262 ratings
Pudding en Gisteren 4.01 | 133 ratings
Iskander 3.54 | 110 ratings
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 14:33
I just know five of these, but at least one of every band. Surely they're all good and I should explore them more, but of those I know the first Picchio dal Pozzo is the clear winner. Stunning album! Supersister have a certain show off factor that puts me off a bit, but they can be great at times, and Cos just didn't grab me that much at first or second impression.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 16:47
[QUOTE=Logan]^ That Homunculus Res album is terrific.

With COS I love those first three albums. I'm one that holds Babel in much higher regard than many, and with so few ratings, it's clearly disregarded by many. It actually is the album I have returned to the most from the list. I find it to be such a vibrant album. But then I also really like Comus's second, and enjoy Magma's Merci (but I do put Babel over those as I find Babel thoroughly enjoyable). Certain funky disco qualities perhaps put some people off.

By the way, here is how PA rates these albums:

For Cos:

Postaeolian Train Robbery 4.20 | 109 ratings
Viva Boma 4.20 | 214 ratings
Babel 3.75 | 52 ratings
Pasiones 3.36 | 21 ratings

I, too, like Babel very much--you're right about the "vibrancy" of the album and I agree that it's probably the funky disco elements that turn a lot of people off. BUT, it's the best recorded of the first three and shows the band's desire/willingness to grow/evolve, which I like. 

Never like the other Picchio dal Pozzo albums much. I've tried over and over. No go.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 20:48
Abbiamo tutti i suoi problemi
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 00:02
Voted Cos, i really love "Viva Boma"
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 06:02
Great poll since it is so hard to choose, these are all great albums each and every one of them. But something in me wants to vote for the fantastic Iskander. Second choice would be Viva Boma or Babel or PDP's debut...or again something by Supersister....nevermind.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 01:54
Sometimes its hard to be a psychopath
The World we Live in, it goes straight to bath
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
 Post Reply Post Reply