Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Searching for similar sounding music

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiskundeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Searching for similar sounding music
    Posted: April 06 2020 at 15:37
Hi,

Maybe it is just me, but I find this nostalgic element of the following tracks extremely heart-warming and am searching for songs/music with a similar feel.

So if you love the lydian mode/experimental modes with overly-beautiful melodies, I think this might be fore you:

1. Steve Wilson - Salvaging : from 4:48-6:19 - It has an extremely ethereal feel, and beautiful ominious sounding harmonies that take you away to a world you never lived in before. Almost remind you of an old dream you have might had.

2. Fish - Waverly Steps. Especially the last chorus. 

3. Fish -Gentlemans Excuse me. Maybe I am too much of a Disney fan.

4. Styx - Losing yourself - (And I must link Camelias Garden Mellow days that sounds a lot like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKnqnDmXTqo)

5. Stevan Carter - Butterfly Bait - on Royalty free music

6. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWVij6r4QBw ICO - you were there - ONe of my favourites.

Anyone knows of music with this type of feel? I dont find music like this often. I am also into cinematic music ofcourse.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 15:45
Welcome back. Will look into this and try to come up with something. Or actually I'll leave it to others, my attempts at lydian mode recs in the past weren't great.

Edited by Logan - April 06 2020 at 15:49
wiskundeman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiskundeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 16:22
Well, I hear you. Listen to the songs and see if you like it; if you don't, well the question is open ended for those who are like-minded. 

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 16:29
I'm just terrible with modes. I've looked into lydian modes and other modes, but I'm not very good at discerning them easily. I'm kind of musically challenged in that way.

I like that ICO "You Were There" a great deal (wonderful), so I'm going to try to re-educate myself and study up on modes more. Now "Castle In The Mist" is playing, beautiful.

Edited by Logan - April 06 2020 at 16:31
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiskundeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 06:07
It is all goods. I am just astounded at the numbers of ill-informed 'musicians' on here. This forum is supposed to be a music-lover and have a sole appreciation for its delight.

I have been on this forum now for a while, and it is nothing like that. Just ill-informed retorts and mockery at your tastes. 

I am not talking about t you, mate. But my previous name was Lydianlover and the results were a mixed bag. This forum should really try to minimise trolling and ban trolling attempts; even commentators writing in regards to saying 'I dont know' is a form of trolling. You do not have to comment if you cannot contribute so someone's post.

I am an avid musician and a lover of the art and am quite serious about it. When a forum gives itself to be a den for music lovers, it should aim to minimise trolling and witch-hunting attempts from the get-go as a greater number of people will eventually leave. This has happened so many times on this forum.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 13:14
I instantly remembered you. When I see lydian mode I think lydianlover. I hope I've been remembered (fondly preferably) at all the forums I've joined for any length of time, and hopefully I left a good impression.

I think we discussed this a bit before.

This was my first music forum that I ever really got involved with. Before that I was on a politics board (but now I hardly talk politics here), I was part of a writers forum, I was on a comedy TV show forum (got hired as a webwriter there by the production company which was awesome while it lasted), and then I was on two sci-forums, then I joined here. I stayed for the community especially, even if the community didn't want me. I never came in claiming to be a musician or into music theory, that's not my background, but people were warm and accepted me. I wouldn't really want to be in forums that relate to my studies particularly, or that relate much to my work. This is a form of escapism for me in part.

For many serious musicians or those into music theory, this may not be the best forum, unless perhaps they like to educate others. A lot of us are amateur musicians, some are, or have been professionals in the music industry, and many are just fans of music. I didn't come here as a musician, or someone who had studid music that much, I came here to discover music and talk about music with people who share similar interests.and Hopefully I'll learn things along the way. I don't just stick to talking about music-related issues here.

"I don't know" is one of the most beautiful phrases to me. It shows intellectual humility, and I strongly believe that it is very important to recognise that which we do not and cannot know. It also often indicates an open mind, open to evidence, open to reason, and an openness to learning. As I would often say, "The first step on the road to wisdom is the recognition of one's own ignorance" I seem to quote this a lot from Bertrand Russell, "The stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt".

That this forum is a mixed bag actually makes it more interesting for me because we get diverse perspectives and diverse approaches. We may see trolling a little differently. Some of that which some people think is trolling I see as good-natured humour, or friendly ribbing, and some of it is not meant to sow discord, but to open up a dialogue. It depends upon upon one's perspective often, and one's sense of humour. I'm not a big fan of sarcasm as I don't like mean-spirited humour particularly, but I have used it at times (it can have its utility).

We have rules on such things, but we don't want to be Draconic, and I like to give people the benefit of the doubt (though I fail sometimes and have bad days).

Sure this forum could be better, but I have liked it enough to stick around for 14 years, for others, it's not going to be the right environment, and one has to find a community that works for the individual (hardly any place will seem ideal). Some days I do like this place more than others, but ultimately I care about this community and feel invested in this site. I have spent a significant chunk of my life here (far too much time to be frank).

While I don't think one should force a forum to try to confirm with one's own expectations (report what one thinks is abuse still) and have too many expectation for what it should be instead of enjoying or not enjoying it for what it is, certainly constructive criticism and suggestions on how to improve the site and this forum are hardly unwelcome and can be of significant benefit. I'd like us to be tolerant of our differences, and forgiving of each other for our inadequacies.

I've joined a few forums that just didn't suit me. Some were too argumentative, some were too ignoring, some felt too cliquey, and some lacked humour. If I didn't feel valued or welcomed, or found it hard to engage in dialectic/ conversations, or had no one to joke around with, I didn't stick around. Some places just seem to be a total dead-end -- I don't think I'll grow in the process of being there, or enjoy myself.

To me this forum has quite a good balance, and there are various people here who I really respect, have helped me in my music journey, and enjoy conversation with (even if we disagree and argue sometimes). Others will think differently. Vive la difference. Some days are better than others, some conversations are better than others, some members are easier to talk with than others, some one identifies more with than others (empathy is important to me).

Really the forum is not the main purpose of the site, it's the artist/ band database (the archives itself). That is what a lot of people spend most of their time on (evaluating artists, adding artists and bios, adding albums, reviewing albums). Some at this site don't care about the forums at all. Some have left because they didn't like it.

What's your favourite music forum that you've found on the internet?
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 13:35
I'm too lazy to check if this Roine demo's in Lydian, but it has the same kinda uplifting feel.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 13:44
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

"I don't know" is one of the most beautiful phrases to me. It shows intellectual humility, and I strongly believe that it is very important to recognise that which we do not and cannot know. It also often indicates an open mind, open to evidence, open to reason, and an openness to learning. As I would often say, "The first step on the road to wisdom is the recognition of one's own ignorance" I seem to quote this a lot from Bertrand Russell, "The stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt".

Amen, women & children!

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiskundeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 16:19
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I instantly remembered you. When I see lydian mode I think lydianlover. I hope I've been remembered (fondly preferably) at all the forums I've joined for any length of time, and hopefully I left a good impression.

I think we discussed this a bit before.

This was my first music forum that I ever really got involved with. Before that I was on a politics board (but now I hardly talk politics here), I was part of a writers forum, I was on a comedy TV show forum (got hired as a webwriter there by the production company which was awesome while it lasted), and then I was on two sci-forums, then I joined here. I stayed for the community especially, even if the community didn't want me. I never came in claiming to be a musician or into music theory, that's not my background, but people were warm and accepted me. I wouldn't really want to be in forums that relate to my studies particularly, or that relate much to my work. This is a form of escapism for me in part.

For many serious musicians or those into music theory, this may not be the best forum, unless perhaps they like to educate others. A lot of us are amateur musicians, some are, or have been professionals in the music industry, and many are just fans of music. I didn't come here as a musician, or someone who had studid music that much, I came here to discover music and talk about music with people who share similar interests.and Hopefully I'll learn things along the way. I don't just stick to talking about music-related issues here.

That this forum is a mixed bag actually makes it more interesting for me because we get diverse perspectives and diverse approaches. We may see trolling a little differently. Some of that which some people think is trolling I see as good-natured humour, or friendly ribbing, and some of it is not meant to sow discord, but to open up a dialogue. It depends upon upon one's perspective often, and one's sense of humour. I'm not a big fan of sarcasm as I don't like mean-spirited humour particularly, but I have used it at times (it can have its utility).

We have rules on such things, but we don't want to be Draconic, and I like to give people the benefit of the doubt (though I fail sometimes and have bad days).

Sure this forum could be better, but I have liked it enough to stick around for 14 years, for others, it's not going to be the right environment, and one has to find a community that works for the individual (hardly any place will seem ideal). Some days I do like this place more than others, but ultimately I care about this community and feel invested in this site. I have spent a significant chunk of my life here (far too much time to be frank).

While I don't think one should force a forum to try to confirm with one's own expectations (report what one thinks is abuse still) and have too many expectation for what it should be instead of enjoying or not enjoying it for what it is, certainly constructive criticism and suggestions on how to improve the site and this forum are hardly unwelcome and can be of significant benefit. I'd like us to be tolerant of our differences, and forgiving of each other for our inadequacies.

I've joined a few forums that just didn't suit me. Some were too argumentative, some were too ignoring, some felt too cliquey, and some lacked humour. If I didn't feel valued or welcomed, or found it hard to engage in dialectic/ conversations, or had no one to joke around with, I didn't stick around. Some places just seem to be a total dead-end -- I don't think I'll grow in the process of being there, or enjoy myself.

To me this forum has quite a good balance, and there are various people here who I really respect, have helped me in my music journey, and enjoy conversation with (even if we disagree and argue sometimes). Others will think differently. Vive la difference. Some days are better than others, some conversations are better than others, some members are easier to talk with than others, some one identifies more with than others (empathy is important to me).

Really the forum is not the main purpose of the site, it's the artist/ band database (the archives itself). That is what a lot of people spend most of their time on (evaluating artists, adding artists and bios, adding albums, reviewing albums). Some at this site don't care about the forums at all. Some have left because they didn't like it.

What's your favourite music forum that you've found on the internet?

Firstly, I want to say thank you for your reply. You seem like a nice guy; but I will still wrap up a good reply to what you wrote.

I can concur with what you said; I, myself, have not studied music theory meticulously. I would best be thought of as an armchair musician - People tell me over-and-over of my inherited talent, and my ability to grasp complex music understandings nonetheless.

I comply; many serious musicians might not find this forum to be their modus operandi; however, when I am on a science forum, it would be incoherent for me to mock science, or attribute mockery to the status quo, with what I am supposedly in respect with - this can be further sub-classed as defining ill-attributed labels as saying 'science is dumb', etc. In a world of science, saying science is dumb, is an existential dis qualifier and makes such a claim redundant, as the very nature of that claim rests on the very premise it is trying to oppose.

I don't want to dump all of philosophy into this chat - not at the least that it is one of my passions - but I wanted to make the point regarding mockery of the obvious.

Trolling:

" is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying ..."

I want to move to something else, trolling.

Trolling is disrespectful as it is making a fool of what someone is saying - I think you know what I mean. I understand the red-herrings many people posit to mask their trolling, but it only creates a slippery slope:

Comments not respectful, or not aligned with the forum's main pillars and maxims, in a way that confronts others, is trolling.

It is breaking rapport - I think this is the highest form to describe it to.

Now, of course, in all situations, breaking rapport is not necessarily bad or uncalled for. But when someone makes the time to write something in a place where they are conforming to the group, and a latter member of that group rips them a new one, so to speak, in regards to the very group they are confined to, this creates a new dynamic; it questions whether the latter member is loyal to the group at all. In the case of a music forum, I assume we will all respect discussions - along with freely attributing discussions under the mantle of music. 

About "I don't know":

I am sure Russell meant this in an epistemological way, not in a way to break discord. I agree partly to the bifurcation; I don't know can be intellectual humility - TO A POINT. It can also be a sign of being intellectually dishonesty as a way of calling bluff on the obvious. So, let us be careful in restricting boundaries to our definitions:

when someone posits you an axiomatic question you can figure out in a heart-beat, for instance, what is 1 + 1? If you were to say you don't know, in the case of being intellectually capable, you are not in symbiosis with what you really know. It is dubious.

It goes back to the first retort that combines the definition with trolling, to the very non-requested responses I have received: Why is it necessary to post non-sequitur? If you don't know, you don't have to post. So this leaves us with humour that we are mis-aligned with; I try to be serious and inquisitive, you on the other hand use it to utter come-backs that was not asked for or aligned with why this forum is in existence.

I respect you as an intelligent person, but I cannot lower myself to a level of trying to make a mockery out of what someone has posted, on the very forum I should be loyal to for that very quality. It is a redundancy to who I am as a person.

I am very interested in finding musical records/cds/mp3s in accordance to my tastes. I understand I dont have the most popular of taste on here, but each and every member should be respected and also being protected from prosecution if they abide by the rules.

I try to be respectful; I hope others can be this mature as well.

Thank you.

As for your last question, I will have to abide with an agnostic position here "I don't know yet". I love this forum in all of its glory. It is a good narrative for prog rock fans like myself to find new music.

Let me ask you this: You seem to quote Bertrand Russell. Are you a philosophy reader? I guess, for the win of quoting him, you are also not religious?

What are your other passions?

Edited by wiskundeman - April 07 2020 at 16:30
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 17:35
That's a deep response, kudos. There definitely is mean-spirited and mocking behavior which does happen at this site, but I find most people pleasant and others pleasant most of the time. Sometimes the fun and silliness can go too far, at least for some dispositions (I like balance, but my sense of balance may lean to the absurd side). Sometimes people have been hounded, and that is an uncomfortable situation. I do think we should try to be more tolerant -- although I lack tolerance for the intolerant.

I studied philosophy in university, but I'm a cod philosopher at best. I was set to major in Film Studies, but the program was pulled (bad timing). I've read a fair amount of Bertrand Russell, and while I've been very interested in religion, I am not religious (I grew up going to church and married a Christian). I have had what I might call spiritual or numinous experiences (especially while in Japan), or some sense of the transcendent. I guess I did first hear about Russell because of Russell's teapot.

My other passions, or interests are film, novels, dark comedies, various types types of TV, audio dramas,ideology, science, Zelda, podcasts, psychology, travel, my family, hiking, skiing, sailing, and having forum discussions (when I have the mind for it and time to really concentrate on it). I'm happiest when I'm out in nature. My interests tend to shift and I'm not as passionate about anything as I used to be,but I still care a great deal about many things.

One of my biggest interests is human nature (to use the term loosely and fairly colloquially), but a lot of that has to do with trying to understand myself -- I confuse most everyone I know at times, but I probably confuse myself the most.

By the way, I post sometimes to topics even though I know I have little value to add (and it may be irrelevant) because I don't want people to feel ignored. I'm projecting, because I don't like it when I put time into topics and no one seems to be not only not interested enough in the topic to respond, but not interested enough in me as a forum member to take a moment to share some thoughts or look into what I'm discussing. That I can find disheartening.

Recently I did get upset with some, what I thought were, irrelevant and non-substantive posts, but then I regretted it. It was insecurity, like they are not interested enough in what I posted to comment on it even if they took the time to comment in my topic. It comes down to my perceived intent, and those perceptions are not as reliable as I wish they were. Sometimes it's because they just missed something I wrote earlier (commented before reading through the topic or even the original post). Usually I prefer it if people try to show some interest, even minimal, than none at all. Sometimes people get overly chastised despite having no malicious intent.

As for your tastes, as I said I loved that ICO and appreciated discovering it,and it made me think, I might want to look into more music such as that. I like to discover music from others, and I'm really happy when someone enjoys something that they discovered thanks to me. And some of my best discoveries have come via the digressions, and some of my favourite conversations started off as digressions (either in my topics, or in other people's topics).

I think if the original poster is clear about what they want and don't want, and that is ignored irregardless, that is disrespectful. Sometimes it;s just that people aren't careful. I rather like a free-wheeling forum, and have enjoyed something of a wild west atmosphere, but its important to try to be sensitive to those who don't. I don't think we need to respect our differences, but I think more work could be put into being respectful towards others who see things differently,and really listen to each other despite our differences. Be respectful of people's comfort zones, demonstrate compassion, avoid patronising behaviour, try to show some humility etc. At a forum I belonged to before, we came up with one major rule, "Try to be excellent to each other."

Sorry for the rambling, that is my style (unfortunately).
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiskundeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 18:04
Hey man.

No worries - Thank you for your most insightful reply. I really liked your response as it surfaced a lot of the traces that is left from the white elephant in the room. Glad we got that one out of the way.

Seeing that you brought up a couple of topics, care to have a conversation about it? I hate to clog up a music forum on discussions, but seeing that you are a manager, I am just going to shoot off for now.

You mentioned something interesting - as someone with depression, i could relate to this fragment "My interests tend to shift and I'm not as passionate about anything as I used to be"

Where did this shift happen? I assume you are far ahead of your teens, and maybe even as old as I am (recently turned 30 for the win.)

Would you say that you miss your youth a lot? I have a cold-reading attempt here. Not sure if it is correct, but I like where you come from...

Also, which philosopher do you find yourself tending towards? My favourite is philip mainlander. Have you ever heard of him? One of the notorious pessimists.

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 19:07
Well, I, for one, certainly enjoyed reading this thread. There seems to be a fair number of well-rounded, well-educated, "evolving" humans on this site--which is nice. I count you two among them. 

Again, Logan, you and I seem to have a lot in common.

Welcome back Lycotropean Towers! 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 19:08
^ For your sake, I hope we don't have too, too much in common.

^^ I have depression, and would say that I remember that change from my late 20s, maybe earlier, which to me is my youth. I was older than you when I joined this site. I had something of an early mid-life crisis around my late 20s. Actually my first that I recall was when I turned seven and at that time I felt like life was passing me by, and I've been in some kind of existential crisis ever since. :)

I'd say that when I was thirty I was pining for my younger years/ youth, and now I often pine for when I was 30. Youth is relative, and as said, to me now being 30 is my youth. I do feel nostalgic melancholy a lot.

Yes, I do miss my youth, especially I wish I could go back to what I think of as my my early adulthood (say between 18 and 26), I experienced more in those years than I have subsequently, or so it seems. I was healthier, more virile, I was smarter, quicker, much better memory (even just a few years ago), traveled a lot, loved living abroad, got married (the long engagement was better still).... 30 was good for me, despite the depression. I was very active -- had a very busy life. By the way, it's funny how time seems to telescope more and more as I get older. It sometimes seems like yesterday that I was 16, and sometimes I look in the mirror and I expect to see that dashing young figure of a man, and, well, actually, I think I still do. "Delusional" my wife would say.

I've read some Philipp Mainländer long ago. I liked classics such as Plato, Kant, Hume, I used to be attracted to Nietzsche. I liked Michel Foucault's Discipline and Punish, but I don't read a great deal of serious philosophical works any longer. I guess I've been too busy reading scintillating and thought-provoking treatises which ponder age old questions such as "Which is better, Genesis or Yes?"     

Edited by Logan - April 07 2020 at 19:33
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiskundeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 05:33
Hello, my friend.

Thank you for this sincere compliment! It is quite interesting at the onset of the COVID-19 that such a discussion would happen here.

Unlike Logan, I have been alone my whole life - No wife, no kids, no friends. After travelling and working in 3 countries up to now, it is a kind-of resignation to the modern day life of where I sat my eyes upon - Philosophy.

There were great minds living before us, they are still alive, resurrected when we read about them.

I see that Logan and I have a lot in common - I remember a time very far ago when depression did not exist. I felt the sun being absorbed by my being and at the very least never had melancholia around me.

That time is far gone, and I soulfully miss my youth. 

Quite funny how life turns out for a 10-something-year-old, and when you hit the very end of the double-digit teenage years, life makes a 180 degrees turn for the worst.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 11:43
I know nothing about Lydian , but someone told me years ago this song had that, and I haven't played the lp in ages but I used to be a fan of his music.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply