Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 10 Tangerine Dream albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 17:07
I had a small core group of Virgin-era albums for many years but never went beyond that til recently. But lately I’ve been going further on into the 80s and beyond. Still don’t have 10 favorites but did want you to know I like the band. Tyranny of Beauty seems to stand out from the handful I’ve got. They show up in used CD stores quite often so I just grab whatever’s there.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 18:25
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I had a small core group of Virgin-era albums for many years but never went beyond that til recently. But lately I’ve been going further on into the 80s and beyond. Still don’t have 10 favorites but did want you to know I like the band. Tyranny of Beauty seems to stand out from the handful I’ve got. They show up in used CD stores quite often so I just grab whatever’s there.

I know there are many fans here. Yeah, I imagine you could pick up quite a few of the Virgin, Private and Miramar CD releases secondhand with little effort. The ones from the last twenty years seem absent from most brick and mortar stores. 

If you don't already have it, track down Views from a Red Train. It's one of their best post-1990 albums. 2008.

zeuhl1 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
RPI Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeuhl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 20:31
Eliminating the virgin releases makes this a list that does require a bit of thought:
1. Sorcerer (1977)
2. Green Desert (1973)
3. Atem (1973)
4. Zeit (1972)
5. Alpha Centauri (1971)
6. Underwater Sunlight (1986)
7. Livemiles (1988)
8. Canyon Dreams (1987)
9. Poland (1984)
10. Electronic Meditation (1970)
Underwater Sunlight tour I saw them twice, fantastic stuff! (met Edgar backstage too :-)  I saw them on the Optical Race tour and didn't really like the direction they'd veered into and didn't buy the lp or cd and stopped following their releases after buying everything up to that point.
A friend ran lights for a show in the early 90's and noticed during soundcheck they were playing DAT tapes for major parts of their set so they wouldn't make mistakes or have glitches, and mimed for large sections. That cinched it for me.
The Tangerine Tree and Leaves series is well worth looking into for fans of the 70's era. Some of their masterpieces exist there.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 01:38
1. Kyoto
2. Purgatorio
3. Poland
4. Underwater Sunlight
5. Views From A Red Train
6. Le Parc
7. Canyon Dreams
8. The Seven Letters From Tibet
9. The Island Of The Fay
10. Finnegan's Wake

love the idea of this thread

They made lots of great albums post 1983 but there was a very poor period between Melorose (1990) and Seven Letters From Tibet (2000) when I struggle to find that much I like. They picked up again in the 00's and I have all the Booster series of albums. I have a complete shelf at home dedicated to just TD.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 01:44
BTW I also like the album Particles that was released in 2016 and is an official release. It includes the Stranger Themes theme tune. Anyone know why this isn't listed on PA?

Edited by richardh - April 12 2020 at 01:44
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 05:57
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

BTW I also like the album Particles that was released in 2016 and is an official release. It includes the Stranger Themes theme tune. Anyone know why this isn't listed on PA?

Because you didn't add it? Tongue
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 02:41

It is listed on PA but is in the ‘Official Singles, EPs and Promos’ section of the discography. It is a strange one to categorise because half of it is live material and half of it is new studio material. But the singles section seems a strange fit.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 02:44
Just acquired ‘The Sessions 1’ on vinyl, which features two live improvisations (one on each side). It harks back to the Phaedra / Rubycon days. I really like it.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 23:55
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

It is listed on PA but is in the ‘Official Singles, EPs and Promos’ section of the discography. It is a strange one to categorise because half of it is live material and half of it is new studio material. But the singles section seems a strange fit.

Thanks. Actually if I had read the information on the back of the CD cover it tells me that it's an 'EP' anyway, so that was a clue lol.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 03:44
Originally posted by zeuhl1 zeuhl1 wrote:

2. Green Desert (1973)

The Tangerine Tree and Leaves series is well worth looking into for fans of the 70's era. Some of their masterpieces exist there.

1985 would be more honest for GD, because that's when it was released, and nobody knows how much of the original tapes from 73 still exist in the final tampered-with state.

What is this Tree&Leaves series, BTW?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 10:31
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

2. Green Desert (1973)

1985 would be more honest for GD, because that's when it was released, and nobody knows how much of the original tapes from 73 still exist in the final tampered-with state.

Things to keep in mind with Green Desert:

Chris Franke hadn't touched a drumkit for at least ten years. Those drums on the title cut are from the '70s. And so are the drums on "White Cloud."

Edgar's guitar tone is his '70s psych tone. Compare it to his tone on Underwater Sunlight.

Some of the synth pads are discernibly modern, but they're layered over the '70s tapes. Altogether, the results feel very organic and I love the album.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 23:42
Top 10 Post Virgin TD albums although I haven't followed them much since the early 2000's. And 2 bonus albums Smile

1) Underwater Sunlight
2) Poland
3) Le Parc
4) Heartbreakers
5) Lily on the Beach
6) 220 Volt Live
7) Tournado
8) Soundmill Navigator (kind of a cheat has its from 1976 but released in 2000)
9) Seven Letters
10) Turn of the Tides
11) Quantum Key
12) Kyoto
zeuhl1 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
RPI Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeuhl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 22:19
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

2. Green Desert (1973)

What is this Tree&Leaves series, BTW?

The Tangerine Tree project was something done around 2002 or so where fans sent in recordings: soundboards, master tapes, audience tapes, films etc to the curators who then cleaned them up and sorted them according to sound quality. The really good stuff became Tangerine Tree, and the lesser quality but still good stuff became the Tangerine Leaves series. There's about 90 releases totaling about 300 hours of unreleased stuff in this project. It was then remastered and full color cd covers were designed, often with stage photos from the event. They were distributed on the web by the tree/leaf method where one person fed others the files, creating more trees along the line to keep feeding the end users, the leaves, who were encouraged to become trees themselves. They adhered to a strict deadhead style of tape trading, absolutely NO cash could trade hands or you found yourself banished for life from the program. I remember getting a bag of Cds from Europe that my friends could not believe. I had to print out the covers and assemble the finished product with cannibalized jewel cases. Great stuff!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 03:07
No particular order:

Alpha Centauri
Atem
Rubycon
Ricochet
Force Majeure
Green Desert
Zeit
Phaedra
Tangram
Electronic Meditation
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 05:59

Number #1 released after 1983 would of course be In Search of Hades, but that is again made up of a lot of (unreleased) Virgin era material.
If you don't have it yet, probably youtube can give you an idea of how great the unreleased Oedipus Tyrannus (1974) is, as well as the 1974 concerts included in the box and the Phaedra 1973 sessions.

Then Poland of course, but that material also still belonged to the Virgin years.

I don't really care much for anything they released since 1984, up until 2014 when they did a great rerecording of Sorcerer.
Also, since Edgar's passing, the remaining members have played and released many long improvisations, dubbed 'The Sessions'
Especially Session II is fantastic but they sure all have their moments.

Next to all that bands like Redshift and Radio Massacre International have been putting out consistently great material since the 90s. A lot of it available for listening on Bandcamp

Edited by Bonnek - April 21 2020 at 06:00
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2020 at 00:11
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

No particular order:

Alpha Centauri
Atem
Rubycon
Ricochet
Force Majeure

Green Desert
Zeit
Phaedra
Tangram
Electronic Meditation

someone else not bothering to read the OP LOL
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2020 at 04:02
I played Miracle Mile yesterday and liked it a lot.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 00:47
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Then Poland of course, but that material also still belonged to the Virgin years.

No it didn't. The last Virgin years album is Hyperborea in 83.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 01:28

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

No particular order:

Alpha Centauri
Atem
Rubycon
Ricochet
Force Majeure

Green Desert
Zeit
Phaedra
Tangram
Electronic Meditation

someone else not bothering to read the OP LOL

Yup caught red handed
If one however really digs the Virgin years I’d highly recommend the two official bootleg releases that contain a lot of brilliant stuff from the 70s.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 03:30
I can't pick out 10 of their albums, especially if we're discounting the virgin ones, but I'm a massive fan of Zeit, and it's overall my second favourite by them on the whole. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>