Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 10 Tangerine Dream albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 10 Tangerine Dream albums
    Posted: April 07 2020 at 14:32
During these days of lock down, I find myself listening a lot to Tangerine Dream.  I was really into the band about 40 odd years ago but my interest started to wane when they ended their tenure with Virgin Records.

I don't really know much of the bands music outside of this period.

I have seen a lot of top 10 lists of the band before in many different forums, but the Virgin albums tend to dominate (Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet etc).  This is obviously because these are the best albums the band produced.

So, this list is going to be a little different.

Can you say what your 10 favourite TD albums are APART from the Virgin releases?

You can choose from studio albums, live albums and film soundtracks.

No compilation albums please.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 15:52
I imagine this thread won't last very long. ;) I'm actually no expert at all but I really like the "exit" album which came out right after the classic period. 
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 16:52
I *might* have listened to 10 of their albums, so my list wouldn't be a good one.

I loved the ones I listened to, though.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 20:48
Hi,

I think I have almost all of the albums, and I'm not sure there is a bad one anywhere to be found ... I'm awfully fond of the albums with the ladies in concert for 25 years, from Linda Spa and then with Iris Camaa ... and a guitarist now and then, which added a really nice touch to the whole thing ... a lot of people trashed Linda Spa, and she gave 25 years of her life to TD, only to be cast aside as not needed or wanted. 

I have no "favorite" per se as there are too many things that stand out for me ... and the Live concerts are often the highlight for me, going way back to the bootleg days, when the behemoth synthesizers could not quite be setup to redo the same thing again, and in the book EF states that sometimes they had to improvise until Chris Franke was able to bring things up ... and he always did, although not always the same, but good enough.

All the bootlegs were totally different than what you hear on albums and it wasn't until the Tangram/Exit and White Eagle era that the music began to be closer to the originals, although still not totally.

After that, it was no longer an issue.

Special favorites:

220 Volt Live -- Massive Live Album ... you and I would pay to see that every day.

Phaedra Farewell Tour 2014 -- Another Massive Concert.

Starmus -- Great, even if you only see it for Bryan May,

Sorcerer -- The complete concerts in Australia just before EF passed away.

Zeit/Atem -- Early Days ... still sound beautiful

The different stuff still good:

Inferno
Purgatorio
Jeanne D'Arc
Kafka - The Castle

I have not enjoyed the "newer" version of the TD, which sounds way too "metalic/machine" like for me, and has lost a touch that both Linda and Iris had given it ... which took it away from the "men's tour" ... that feature a lot of very nice and well done stuff. It has also lost the "classical" feel that EF had all his life in the music and its presentation, and is now, for my tastes, a band that lacks the "inner movie" AND "story" that so much of its music had presented to us all these years.

Times change,sometimes not for the best, I guess ... I miss EF badly ... and would also like to state that I would love to see Chris Franke back doing some music ... he was valuable and does not deserve to be an after thought and left behind! His music for BABYLON 5 was excellent, were it not for it being HORRIBLY used by directors that had no feel or understanding for any kind of music whatsoever!

I'm almost out of breadth ... sorry about this long one, but TD, for me ... is a sacred statue and cow if you will.Clap  Thumbs Up
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 01:25
Zeit, Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet, Stratosfear, Sorcerer, plus Froese : Aqua, Epsilon in malaysian pale, Peter Baumann : Romance 76
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 02:23
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Zeit, Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet, Stratosfear, Sorcerer, plus Froese : Aqua, Epsilon in malaysian pale, Peter Baumann : Romance 76

Thanks but half of these are on Virgin Records.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 02:37
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I think I have almost all of the albums, and I'm not sure there is a bad one anywhere to be found ... I'm awfully fond of the albums with the ladies in concert for 25 years, from Linda Spa and then with Iris Camaa ... and a guitarist now and then, which added a really nice touch to the whole thing ... a lot of people trashed Linda Spa, and she gave 25 years of her life to TD, only to be cast aside as not needed or wanted. 

I have no "favorite" per se as there are too many things that stand out for me ... and the Live concerts are often the highlight for me, going way back to the bootleg days, when the behemoth synthesizers could not quite be setup to redo the same thing again, and in the book EF states that sometimes they had to improvise until Chris Franke was able to bring things up ... and he always did, although not always the same, but good enough.

All the bootlegs were totally different than what you hear on albums and it wasn't until the Tangram/Exit and White Eagle era that the music began to be closer to the originals, although still not totally.

After that, it was no longer an issue.

Special favorites:

220 Volt Live -- Massive Live Album ... you and I would pay to see that every day.

Phaedra Farewell Tour 2014 -- Another Massive Concert.

Starmus -- Great, even if you only see it for Bryan May,

Sorcerer -- The complete concerts in Australia just before EF passed away.

Zeit/Atem -- Early Days ... still sound beautiful

The different stuff still good:

Inferno
Purgatorio
Jeanne D'Arc
Kafka - The Castle

I have not enjoyed the "newer" version of the TD, which sounds way too "metalic/machine" like for me, and has lost a touch that both Linda and Iris had given it ... which took it away from the "men's tour" ... that feature a lot of very nice and well done stuff. It has also lost the "classical" feel that EF had all his life in the music and its presentation, and is now, for my tastes, a band that lacks the "inner movie" AND "story" that so much of its music had presented to us all these years.

Times change,sometimes not for the best, I guess ... I miss EF badly ... and would also like to state that I would love to see Chris Franke back doing some music ... he was valuable and does not deserve to be an after thought and left behind! His music for BABYLON 5 was excellent, were it not for it being HORRIBLY used by directors that had no feel or understanding for any kind of music whatsoever!

I'm almost out of breadth ... sorry about this long one, but TD, for me ... is a sacred statue and cow if you will.Clap  Thumbs Up

Thanks for your great post. Your knowledge and love of the band is apparent in every word. I can see that I have missed out on a lot of great music by not following the band beyond the Virgin Records period. The enthusiasm that you express has inspired me to listen to the albums that you have spoken about.

I am also interested in the book that you refer to, and will be ordering a copy of this as soon as I finish this message.

Thanks

Edited by Green Shield Stamp - April 08 2020 at 02:39
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 02:52
I'm really a 70's TD fan, as I stop at Force Majeure.

Surely the first four Ohr label albums (EM, AC, Zeit & Atem)are my faves and most/all would navigate in between the classic 73-79 albums on my scale of preference (not a fan of the later Virgin albums). I'd also add Green Desert, which is a trafficked session from 73 that was released in 85.

TBH, I heard the highly touted Poland & Logos, but I'm not impressed, but yeah, they'd be thrown in my top 10 list you're seeking for ... but don't expect me to fill it up to the brim Wink

Edited by Sean Trane - April 08 2020 at 02:52
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 04:46
I did not know Green Desert came from 1973 sessions. Cool ! I need to listen to this one.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 05:03
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I'm really a 70's TD fan, as I stop at Force Majeure.
TBH, I heard the highly touted Poland & Logos, but I'm not impressed, but yeah, they'd be thrown in my top 10 list you're seeking for ... but don't expect me to fill it up to the brim Wink

Hi,

According to EF in the book, "Poland" was the concert from hell ... it was frozen outside and they had not enough heaters and they were worried about some of the synths going out as there was not enough electricity for them all to run along with the heaters necessary to make the place half way comfortable ... but the audience apparently didn't care ... they got to see TD ... and if the albums are an indication ... it was a  magnificent show.

I'm about to read the book again, just to recheck a couple of things ... but EF does not exactly talk about the "music" at all ... mostly about his relations left and right and jokes and such, and the history of the band in concert is most of the story, along with two events ... Dali and Bowie. The first one is ... unusual and I'm not sure that many of us will get much out of it. The second one, some folks thought it was too long and kinda ends when EF decided not to play in one song, to which he explained to DB why ... it was not his kind of music and he could not improvise. But the best one is the bit about Bowie at the piano when a studio session was cancelled.

Other than that, the book never really got to Jerome and any music during that time ... or after.

Edited by moshkito - April 08 2020 at 05:07
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 05:09
Underwater Sunlight. I don’t think that’s on.Virgin, my copy isn’t anyway. Then I didn’t like most of Optical Race and stopped at that.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 05:50
I've got to say I'm one more of those who have difficulties to list ten non-Virgin albums, as the Virgin phase is clearly their peak. Actually I like their work up to Hyperborea, the last Virgin album.
I also like the first four albums,
1) Zeit  
2) Atem
3) Electronic Meditation
4) Alpha Centauri
...and then I know
5) Official Bootleg Series Vol. I
6) Official Bootleg Series Vol. II / Quichotte,
which are not Virgin but Virgin era. Even Sorcerer, non-Virgin recorded at Virgin times, is just OKish, as are...
7) Poland
8) Sorcerer
9) Underwater Sunlight
10) Machu Picchu.
I still have Optical Race and Tyger, but they are diabolical, and the band lost me with them for good. I only heard bits and pieces from three newer albums, and they're better but still don't do much for me; Machu Picchu is actually the only one, apart from some live shows, that I have heard in full, and only once.  
At least I can list ten non-Virgin albums...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 13:49
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Underwater Sunlight. I don’t think that’s on.Virgin, my copy isn’t anyway. Then I didn’t like most of Optical Race and stopped at that.

Underwater Sunlight was released on Relativity Records in the US, and Jive Electro in the UK and Europe. That's one of my favorite TD albums. I first had it on cassette and probably played it 10,000 times.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 13:52
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I did not know Green Desert came from 1973 sessions. Cool ! I need to listen to this one.

It was recorded in 1973 but not part of any particular sessions. Peter Bauman wasn't on it so it wasn't part of the sesions for Phaedra for example. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Desert

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 08 2020 at 13:53
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 13:52
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I imagine this thread won't last very long. ;) I'm actually no expert at all but I really like the "exit" album which came out right after the classic period. 

I've loved Exit since forever, as it was my first TD album, purchased on LP (then cassette and several times on CD). Exit's on Virgin. The last Virgin record was Hyperborea.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 14:19
Sorcerer 2014 is a fabulous recording. Perhaps my favorite TD album. 
Really like The Island of Fey (2011), The Angel From the West Window (2011), Booster IV(2012) 
Others : The Dream mixes (1995), Rocking Mars (2005), Destination Berlin (1989) and Tyranny of Beauty (1995).

But my other big fave remains Pergamon (1986) 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 15:16
^I agree, Sorcerer 2014 is one of TD's best "recent" releases!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 17:01
Double post.

Edited by verslibre - April 08 2020 at 17:04
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 17:05
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

Can you say what your 10 favourite TD albums are APART from the Virgin releases?

You can choose from studio albums, live albums and film soundtracks.

A bit harder than I surmised, but I got there. After the Virgin era, the live albums and film scores offer more in the ways of variety and quality!

1 Poland (The Warsaw Concert) (1984)
2 Firestarter (OST) (1984)
3 Heartbreakers (OST) (1985)
4 Underwater Sunlight (1986)
5 Green Desert (1973/1986)
6 Near Dark (OST) (1987)
7 Miracle Mile (OST (1989)
8 Sorcerer 2014 (Cinematagrophic Score) (2014)
9 Official Bootleg Series, Volume Two: Palais de Congres, Paris~1978/Palast der Republik, East Berlin~1980 (2016)
10 Official Bootleg Series, Volume Three: Ford Auditorium, Detroit~1977/Regent Theatre, Sydney~1982 (2019) 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 16:46
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I imagine this thread won't last very long. ;)

Sadly, your prediction was on the mark. I could have sworn there were many more fans here...!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>