Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 10 Tangerine Dream albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 04:39
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Number #1 released after 1983 would of course be In Search of Hades, but that is again made up of a lot of (unreleased) Virgin era material.
If you don't have it yet, probably youtube can give you an idea of how great the unreleased Oedipus Tyrannus (1974) is, as well as the 1974 concerts included in the box and the Phaedra 1973 sessions

Well I did think of that, but it's a Virgin boxset, so it cannot apply in this thread. LOL

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

No particular orderAlpha Centauri
Atem
Rubycon
Ricochet
Force Majeure

Green Desert
Zeit
Phaedra
Tangram
Electronic Meditation

someone else not bothering to read the OP LOL

Yup caught red handed
If one however really digs the Virgin years I’d highly recommend the two official bootleg releases that contain a lot of brilliant stuff from the 70s.

Well you top 5 is exactly mine, f only in disorder. LOL

Which of those bootlegs would you be talking about, now? Wink

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 18:36
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I played Miracle Mile yesterday and liked it a lot.

Clap Yeah! After Underwater Sunlight, Miracle Mile is tied with Near Dark for their best album of the latter half of the '80s (yes, they're better than the three other studio albums after '86). 

Another thing about Miracle Mile is how well it's aging in spite of its intrinsically digital tonal palette, not an analog machine anywhere to be found. The music is just so good.

I'm not sure if you listened to the original release or not, but Miracle Mile was remastered and reissued as a two-CD with a lot more music! Clap

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 18:44
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Which of those bootlegs would you be talking about, now? Wink

They're bootlegs only in title. Each volume is a box with two complete vintage concerts on four discs. Trust me, you want them. Wink

emisan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 05:23
Phaedra
Rubycon
Stratosfear
Force Majeure
Tangram
Cyclone
Sorcerer
Hyperborea
Exit
Underwater Sunlight
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 23:14
Originally posted by emisan emisan wrote:

Phaedra
Rubycon
Stratosfear
Force Majeure
Tangram
Cyclone
Sorcerer
Hyperborea
Exit
Underwater Sunlight

almost a clean sweep LOL
flyingveepixie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingveepixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 06:42
I don't think I've actually heard 10 TD albums but I do own 6 and like them all.  My outstanding most fave is 220 Volt Live followed by the soundtrack to Near Dark.

Edited by flyingveepixie - May 11 2020 at 06:43
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 08:27
Originally posted by flyingveepixie flyingveepixie wrote:

I don't think I've actually heard 10 TD albums but I do own 6 and like them all.  My outstanding most fave is 220 Volt Live followed by the soundtrack to Near Dark.

Hi,

Such a fantastic show ... I love to play that from start to finish ... as i can not drop it in the middle! It's a shame some folks don't like it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
flyingveepixie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingveepixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 00:15
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Such a fantastic show ... I love to play that from start to finish ... as i can not drop it in the middle! It's a shame some folks don't like it!

I guess some folks wont like it because it's kind of less like classic TD and more of a one off guitar driven electronica album.  It's right up my street and I would have loved to have heard more of that kind of thing from them..
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 07:07

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I guess some folks wont like it because it's kind of less like classic TD and more of a one off guitar driven electronica album.  It's right up my street and I would have loved to have heard more of that kind of thing from them..

Hi,

From then on until the time that EF passed , it was all pretty much like that ... with Iris Camaa and Linda Spa adding some outstanding touches and a couple of guitarists adding to the whole mix ... and the music? Never sounded better! And the various different outlooks at a lot of their music was all posted in the BOOSTER series ... in case folks want to see how different they could be.

It is/was, the same as classical music under a different conductor ... the small changes added to something new about the piece of music, and Edgar was very well aware of that, and a great student of music ... and his knowledge of it was insane, and just not given to do sound bits like so many keyboard players with less intuitive creativity!

Edited by moshkito - May 12 2020 at 07:09
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 07:11
Originally posted by emisan emisan wrote:

Phaedra
Rubycon
Stratosfear
Force Majeure
Tangram
Cyclone
Sorcerer
Hyperborea
Exit
Underwater Sunlight
Much like my picks, but replace Exit with Alpha Centauri, and Sorcerer with Atem. But the rest is bang-on !!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 14:28
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

During these days of lock down, I find myself listening a lot to Tangerine Dream.  I was really into the band about 40 odd years ago but my interest started to wane when they ended their tenure with Virgin Records.

I don't really know much of the bands music outside of this period.

I have seen a lot of top 10 lists of the band before in many different forums, but the Virgin albums tend to dominate (Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet etc).  This is obviously because these are the best albums the band produced.

So, this list is going to be a little different.

Can you say what your 10 favourite TD albums are APART from the Virgin releases?

You can choose from studio albums, live albums and film soundtracks.

No compilation albums please.

a reminder of the OP Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 07:16
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

a reminder of the OP Smile

Hi,

Goodness ... I'm old enough to not see things right ... but this one was easy for me.

Separating TD from before to the after is a bit strange for me, as they were two completely different eras of instrumentation and issues in concert and the main reason why there were so many early days bootlegs ... they were all different because they could not re-set up the synths properly, and the funny one on the book by EF is that sometimes it took CF 30 minutes to get that thing going right so they could do their thing, and then he had to control something that was difficult to control! BUT, he got it done!And many times it was a tribute to his technical knowledge of these things! EF even talks about the bulky "echo chambers" they brought with them in those early days, to get the effect they wanted, which didn't work each and every night depending on warmth, cold and such!

In many ways, the latter TD is only different in that now they could mix and add more to the mix, and then add even more to the mix over all that, and then even add a guitar to that and then ... even some electronic drums!

I think what the OP really wanted to ask was what they thought of this extraordinary achievement in performance, something that 99 out of 100 bands not only don't have, they can not even conceive of it ... but to me, TD only got better ... and better ... but saying that these things are better than the originals is very weird for me ... Phaedra at 25 is not better or worse than the original!

Edited by moshkito - May 13 2020 at 07:18
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 14:26
The first ten Virgin albums are my Top 10 Tangerine Dream albums, with Stratosfear being my all-time favourite.
UncleRust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UncleRust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2020 at 17:06
The Virgin years are definitely my favorite, and I can't give 10, but I would consider giving the following a listen...in the order of my preference.

Poland (1984) - This is amazing; they had started working with digital synths and there are some very recognizable sounds of the 80s used.  Really outstanding music too, which is kind of the point.

Quantum Gate (2017) - Edgar had passed by this point, but he was involved to some extent in creating this excellent album.  More modern sounding instrumentation than most of the TD that I like, but really really really good.

Oedipus Tyrannus (1974) - This was only released more recently as part of a box set (which includes the best of the Virigin years, some remixed by Steven Wilson).  Not my favorite, but nice and experimental for the time without being annoying (I am looking at you Atem Angry).

Underwater Sunlight (1986) - This is very good, but I need to be in the right mood to not get annoyed by the whale sound.

Green Desert (1986) - Pretty good, though I can't always stay interested through the whole thing.

Also, the aforementioned box set includes several live shows from 1974-1975 that are worth checking out if you don't mind spending a bunch of money.  I think they are on YouTube if you want to try before you buy.  Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123