Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats the deal with Siberian Khatru

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 01:21
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

The song provides some variety to an otherwise very even album, and it's a great concert opener.

which again begs the question 'would it have been better served as an album opener'?

I think if you flip the order completely it works better. Still a fantastic album whichever order the songs are played in though!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 05:56
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Siberian Snafu is sub-par in comparison to the other two compositions on CTTE. 

I'd go further. I never listen to side 2 of Close to the Edge.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 08:24
I prefer the other two tracks but I don't see it as out of place. Or disco.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 08:24
think its a perfect prog song--shows the genius of the band--there is a reason all younger prog guitarists find Howe such an inspiration--he can do anything---love how it goes into a harpsichord solo and mellotron is amazing too --love how the end is jazzy----and a young John Funiscante who would grow up to be a cool guitarist in his own right--said he was obsessed with Howe's solo over the end main theme of the song---taught him how he could do his own playing as a counterpoint and not just play solo's.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 08:51
I don't accept the premise of the argument.

Siberian Khatru is absolutely not "weak" or out of place.

It is a masterful ending to one of the greatest albums of all time.

The way that Steve Howe layers his guitar solo over the main musical theme at the end of the track is simply sensational, and has been influential on other top musicians.

It is a more jazzy and upbeat track than the other two, but therein it provides the perfect counterfoil and uplifting ending to an album so typical of Yes, and so absolutely in tune with their style and philosophy.

A masterful ending to a classic album.
Songs cast a light on you
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 09:32
If only there were more "disco" songs like "Siberian Khatru".  All of history would have been changed for the better.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 10:11
What's wrong with it being a little funky? Squire is a very funky bass player, very hard licks almost slapping quality like Bootsy or Billy Nelson.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 10:24
Eh. And You and I should have been extended out to 22 mins and filled side 2....what a feckin improvement eh...I suppose I will polarise this thread as well...😎
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 20:04
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

If only there were more "disco" songs like "Siberian Khatru".  All of history would have been changed for the better.

Picture this, a nine minute rendition of The Bee Gee's "You Should Be Dancing" replete with psychedelic guitar soloing, heavy metal drumming, and an extended series of gibberish choral stabs layered over a cacophony of sweet progressive madness to close out the track.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 20:24
Its mostly hidden funkiness under waves of progressive-ness (except the opening guitar bars, which are just funky--but that's your clue). I'm not sure that I'd ever associate it with "disco" though.

Edited by zwordser - April 12 2020 at 20:25
Z
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 01:12
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

How to upset everybody on this website 101

This and say Pink Floyd/DSoTM is boring LOL.  I totally agree though. OP is new, and is probably on his own on this one! Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 05:19
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

How to upset everybody on this website 101

This and say Pink Floyd/DSoTM is boring LOL.  I totally agree though. OP is new, and is probably on his own on this one! Cool

No - I'm with him to an extent.

Yes have never been one of my really favourite bands - I've always liked them, but not a lot, to paraphrase Larry Grayson - and I've always put it down to Jon Anderson's vocals and the lack of any meaningful lyrical meaning in many of their songs. But listening again to Close to the Edge, it's also Steve Howe's guitar playing. Whilst I can see that he's incredibly skilful, it doesn't engage me emotionally. The same is true of Allan Holdsworth, Robert Fripp, John Petrucci and many more superbly technical guitarists. They have no soul in their music for me.

Give me the true God of emotion, Andy Latimer, Steve Hackett, Steve Rothery, Dave Gilmour, Piotr Grudinski and the like every time.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 06:00
I find nothing remotely resembling disco in Siberian Khatru. And I don't understand why someone objected to my review of Camel's Breathless because I find that album too disco. Disco must have very undefined boundaries
A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 06:56
i know this probably a dumb thing to say but whats the deal with Moon-child.  
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 15:52
Is this the sequel to The Diary of Horace Wimp?
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 16:23
 But listening again to Close to the Edge, it's also Steve Howe's guitar playing. Whilst I can see that he's incredibly skilful, it doesn't engage me emotionally. The same is true of Allan Holdsworth, Robert Fripp, John Petrucci and many more superbly technical guitarists. They have no soul in their music for me.

while I can understand the lack of emotion with Petruccu, Fripp---Howe has moved me guitar at end of And you and I---end of Ritual is stunning---on Remembering --Soon---To be Over---On the silent wings of freedom---at the end of Into the storm---find him very moving--he's not a blues player so maybe you are more moved by that sound---but sure agree that Hackett for me is the best.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 16:36
Siberian Khatru is a great track and sits proudly with the other two classics on the album. Always the best way to start a Yes concert too. Everyone's entitled to their view though, but I sense a bit of jovial provocation in a few recent posts by newbies, like a boy with a stick poking at the bear inside the cage. The exhuberance of youth! 😂
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 17:57
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Siberian Khatru is the best thing on the album. Love that Mellotron !!

I agree!  Wakeman used horn-tapes for SK, and those are a Mellotron sound that was rarely employed!  

The Stanley Snail version is a fantastic mashup if you've never heard it! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 18:37
Originally posted by A Bard A Bard wrote:

i know this probably a dumb thing to say but whats the deal with Moon-child.  

It's totally fine till it gets to the improv section, which doesn't suck, but has a tendency to make people impatient.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 23:45
I must admit, I never got the love for SK. I've listened to it over and over and still can't gel with it. 
This is probably why I disagree that CTTE is seen as the no. 1 prog album of all time.
Don't lynch  me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>