110 [82.71%]
23 [17.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Pink Floyd prog rock?
    Posted: April 17 2024 at 03:01
As far as I know, Pink Floyd was a legendary psychedelic rock band before they made the switch to dreamy art rock. They were never considered a progressive rock group back in the late 1960s and early 1970s, which is to say, during the original progressive rock period. 
Skymachine_119 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skymachine_119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2023 at 12:21
Thumbs Up
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2023 at 08:16
Like all bands born before prog, they evolved.

In my opinion,
Initially they played psychedelic pop music, then they delved into psychedelia with Ummagumma and then came to prog, in the wake of other bands (VdGG also started with psychedelia, as did Family)

The beginning of prog was marked by King Crimson in 1969, and in 1970 VdGG, Genesis, Gentle Giant, EL&P and Pink Floyd (thanks to the Atom Heart Mother suite) and many others came to prog (Family and Yes got there in 1971).

1970 is the most genuine and naive year in the birth/development of prog, and perhaps that is why it's my favourite.

PF remained inside prog until Animals, 1977. Their most proggy album is Wish You Were Here.

Then they became Roger Waters' orchestral folk band, until they tried to return to prog with Gilmour.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2023 at 20:14
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^WYWH is full blown symphonic prog too then.

No wonder those are my two favourite albums.
Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2023 at 14:07
Yes, they are. Absolutely.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2023 at 11:20
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2023 at 11:05
^ My point exactly. Classic Rock & Roll was influenced by / developed from several genres, including Rhythm & Blues / Jump Blues / Swing / Jazz / Country / Gospel / Boogie Woogie - which are apparent to a greater or lesser extent in classic 50's R&R songs, and by extension into 1960's psychedelia and into 1970's prog rock & hard rock... and beyond. The Floyd may have started out as a blues band but their style quickly morphed into psychedelia, and eventually developed into space rock... and beyond.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 21:03
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

TexasKing is absolutely correct.   In fact Floyd started as a blues band, so learn some history and get your facts.
Indeed, virtually all of the artists and acts we knew and loved so much in the 1970's started off as blues artists in the British R&B boom of the mid to late sixties.
Jethro Tull started as a blues band as well, and...oh look, they released TAAB and APP. The argument is asinine. I guess Yes was country because Steve Howe emulates and worships Chet Atkins.

I don't think anyone is actually saying Floyd is not progressive rock, or should not be considered prog.  The fact they started as blues certainly does not disqualify them.   The blues is rock--  it is Psych, it is Heavy Metal, it is Prog.

Edited by Atavachron - August 18 2023 at 21:06
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 18:50
I consider them Psychedelic but my wheelhouse for them is 1968 to 1973 and I know there's so much more. Progressive for sure!
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 18:19
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

TexasKing is absolutely correct.   In fact Floyd started as a blues band, so learn some history and get your facts.

Indeed, virtually all of the artists and acts we knew and loved so much in the 1970's started off as blues artists in the British R&B boom of the mid to late sixties.

Jethro Tull started as a blues band as well, and...oh look, they released TAAB and APP. The argument is asinine. I guess Yes was country because Steve Howe emulates and worships Chet Atkins. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 17:27
At this rate we should just make an entire section of the website dedicated to this topic....
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 16:48
Never understood this argument tbh. I think the reason it resurfaces so much is because of Pink Floyd's relative lack of virtuosity. But if we were to use that criteria, we'd have to throw so many other bands out too. But they have every other hallmark of 70s prog. Lengthy epic pieces, sonic innovation, odd time sigs, complex arrangments, all that good stuff 

Edited by Necrotica - August 18 2023 at 16:48
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 16:42
It's not a precise science, and there's a certain overlap, but genre terms have their limits as well.

Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Wish You Were Here, and Animals are unambiguously prog rock. Even with the narrowest, most nit-picky definition of prog rock, they're prog rock. For the other albums of the 70's you could make the argument they're perhaps closer to art rock, and their 60's stuff I'd all classify as psychedelic rock.

This discussion pops up once in a while online, and there's often a couple of the same arguments going on that really make no sense to me...

What does the fact that prog and art rock weren't fully defined yet and meant the same thing in the 70's have to do with anything? We're not in the 70's anymore, and I don't ever see people bring this up with any other band (I mean, it'd apply to every prog band if it'd apply to PF).

What does the fact that Pink Floyd is more popular in the mainstream than any other prog band have to do with anything? Animals isn't a prog rock album because Another Brick in the Wall 2 is a radio staple?

What does the fact that they started out as this-and-that and where inspired by blablabla matter? Few bands that exist for longer than a few years stick with one style their entire career.

If you want to argue genres, stick with the actual music at hand. The actual music contained on the albums is what determines their genre.

And yeah I know it's a pointless topic to argue about, but f**k it, I didn't bump the thread.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 15:41
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Pink Floyd music is generally blues-based, not classical-based or jazz-based or folk-based. 

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning.

I think this person is trying to imply that prog can't be blues based. I personally don't hear a whole lot of blues in PF. Sure there's some maybe but they went way beyond that.

I always found some of Gilmour's guitar work rather bluesy. F.e. the "Funky Dung" section of Atom Heart Mother - or the solo in Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

That being said, I don't really buy the argument, that prog can't have blues elements. It would exclude ELP's version of Pictures of an Exhibition for instance...
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 15:29
I have to say, I find it amazing how long this discussion can be drawn. Prog is just a term invented by someone to describe some music. It is not a precise science. Pink Floyd is Pink Floyd, regardless of how you want to categorize them.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 15:16
^WYWH is full blown symphonic prog too then.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 14:26
Is this a question that really needs to be asked?

Of course they are progressive.

Probably closer to crossover prog in many cases but Animals is full blown symphonic prog.

Pink Floyd is the perfect example of where art rock and prog meet.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 14:24

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 13:25
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 13:16
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Pink Floyd music is generally blues-based, not classical-based or jazz-based or folk-based. 

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning.

I think this person is trying to imply that prog can't be blues based. I personally don't hear a whole lot of blues in PF. Sure there's some maybe but they went way beyond that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>