Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
104 [82.54%]
22 [17.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 11:27
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Asking if Pink Floyd are Prog-Rock is a bit like asking if Adolf Hitler was a racist. Smile
Tend to agree. Even then, who cares if it's prog or not, it's the music that matters.

We have to know so that we can catalog it, or not, that's the most important thing.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 11:37
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Asking if Pink Floyd are Prog-Rock is a bit like asking if Adolf Hitler was a racist. Smile
Tend to agree. Even then, who cares if it's prog or not, it's the music that matters.

We have to know so that we can catalog it, or not, that's the most important thing.
Ok, guess you're right there.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 12:12
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

^ God you guys are all so cringe

This is why people make fun of boomers. "rUsH nEvEr DiD aNyThInG tHaT wAsN't AlReAdY dOne bEfoRe," really? I hate this small group of armchair contrarians, likely hunched over their desk with cheeto dust all over their fingers just terrorizing YouTube comment sections and forums about how all music past the year 1976 is crap as they turn on Close to the Edge for the 3rd time today.
Look, little boy, I realize 12 year olds have relatively little experience, but when you can't refute what I said with anything but cute little meme-worthy jargon like the asinine "you guys are all so cringe", I suggest that your mother send you to time-out away from her PC. 

The previous poster stated Rush was "more prog" than Pink Floyd and I pointed out there is nothing progressive, revolutionary or earth-shattering to Rush's music. If anything, it is a reiteration of elements already provided. If you can't provide anything to refute it, shut the f*ck up.

Yes, Rush, the band that indisputably trailblazed and influenced the entire prog metal movement with a distinct and easily recognizable sound did absolutely nothing revolutionary. Nothing, certainly not the fact that they had sprawling complex and unconventional suites of music that at times even had interconnecting themes between successive albums. Certainly not the lyrical content or hard rock/guitar driven prog rock sound they refined to a tee. I'm not even a massive rush fan but the absurdity of your comments are just beyond me. Even their more subtle moments are bursting with creativity, the electronics at the beginning of Cygnus on Farewell to Kings. How about the entire structure of 2112 where it will strip down to near silence with very subtle instrumentation and fantastic atmospheric touches before seamlessly building right back up to a satisfying payoff. Even their rhythmic choices in songs like Natural Science, Jacobs Ladder, Cygnus X1 are just scream "Rush." There would be no prog metal without Rush and King Crimson, and those two bands don't sound anything like one another.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - September 30 2020 at 12:12
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 12:15
Right but is King Crimson even prog?????? (I'm joking. Please spare me)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 12:17
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

no, it's rrrrumbaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 12:21
I'm stifling laughter right now.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 13:50

Wait till the people of Progarchives learn that Court of the Crimson King has no odd time signatures within its 5 songs, that'll be the day LOL
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 13:51

Their music is way more intricate than Pink Floyd's.
Masses of people can listen to DSOTM or WYWH, but I can't imagine the masses listening to Court or Red or Larks. It's too complicated and weird stuff for casual rock fans, unlike Pink Floyd.

Edited by TexasKing - September 30 2020 at 13:55
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 15:25
Everyone and their mom knows Court of the Crimson King though, I see it multiple times every single day on the vinyl and CD subreddits. On Rateyourmusic its rated 5th of all time with 37,667 ratings, The most rated album is OK computer at 60,254 with Dark Side of the Moon in second at 50,434.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 15:30

Everyone and their mom knows Court of the Crimson King though, I see it multiple times every single day on the vinyl and CD subreddits. On Rateyourmusic its rated 5th of all time with 37,667 ratings, The most rated album is OK computer at 60,254 with Dark Side of the Moon in second at 50,434.

Close to the Edge is right behind it even though apparently it has sold more copies. KC does seem to be well known but you never(or hardly ever)hear it on classic rock radio. You at least hear Radiohed on the radio. I don't think RYM is a good way to measure over all popularity of an album though. It's mostly hipsters on there who think they are cool just because of what is in their record collection(which of course consists only of vinyl). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 30 2020 at 15:32
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 15:35
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Close to the Edge is right behind it even though apparently it has sold more copies. KC does seem to be well known but you never(or hardly ever)hear it on classic rock radio. You at least hear Radiohed on the radio. I don't think RYM is a good way to measure over all popularity of an album though. It's mostly hipsters on there who think they are cool just because of what is in their record collection(which of course consists only of vinyl). 

It seems King Crimson is popular among hipsters.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 15:54
King Crimson is pretty popular in pretty much any music circle, doesn't matter the age. Court of the Crimson King is a pretty accesible album, I go to college for music and all the other guys there are really into Red (ages 18-19), certainly not hipsters

Edited by dougmcauliffe - September 30 2020 at 15:55
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 19:18

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

^ God you guys are all so cringe

This is why people make fun of boomers. "rUsH nEvEr DiD aNyThInG tHaT wAsN't AlReAdY dOne bEfoRe," really? I hate this small group of armchair contrarians, likely hunched over their desk with cheeto dust all over their fingers just terrorizing YouTube comment sections and forums about how all music past the year 1976 is crap as they turn on Close to the Edge for the 3rd time today.
Look, little boy, I realize 12 year olds have relatively little experience, but when you can't refute what I said with anything but cute little meme-worthy jargon like the asinine "you guys are all so cringe", I suggest that your mother send you to time-out away from her PC. 

The previous poster stated Rush was "more prog" than Pink Floyd and I pointed out there is nothing progressive, revolutionary or earth-shattering to Rush's music. If anything, it is a reiteration of elements already provided. If you can't provide anything to refute it, shut the f*ck up.

Yes, Rush, the band that indisputably trailblazed and influenced the entire prog metal movement with a distinct and easily recognizable sound did absolutely nothing revolutionary. Nothing, certainly not the fact that they had sprawling complex and unconventional suites of music that at times even had interconnecting themes between successive albums. Certainly not the lyrical content or hard rock/guitar driven prog rock sound they refined to a tee. I'm not even a massive rush fan but the absurdity of your comments are just beyond me. Even their more subtle moments are bursting with creativity, the electronics at the beginning of Cygnus on Farewell to Kings. How about the entire structure of 2112 where it will strip down to near silence with very subtle instrumentation and fantastic atmospheric touches before seamlessly building right back up to a satisfying payoff. Even their rhythmic choices in songs like Natural Science, Jacobs Ladder, Cygnus X1 are just scream "Rush." There would be no prog metal without Rush and King Crimson, and those two bands don't sound anything like one another.
You have a limited grasp and context regarding the influences of prog metal. The correct statement would be "there would be no prog metal without King Crimson, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. Might as well throw in Yes, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and early Genesis and Queen for good measure, along with Rush later on. There is really nothing that Rush did that did not have a precedent in the bands mentioned. Humorously enough, it has been theorized in a few critical reviews that several different Black Sabbath songs were directly responsible for each and every sub-genre of metal (including prog metal). But back to Rush.

Rush was literally a Led Zeppelin clone in the first few years of the band's existence, per the band members themselves. As Alex Lifeson said, "Of any guitarist, Jimmy Page was my biggest influence. I wanted to look, think and play like him. Zeppelin had a heavy influence on Rush during our early days." Geddy Lee also acknowledged Zeppelin, but had high praise for Genesis' Foxtrot (particularly "Watcher of the Skies"), and Tull's Thick as a Brick, of which he stated, "In my view, this is the first truly successful concept album by a British prog-rock band. They even brought a flute into heavy rock music. How dare they! [laughs]...Their music is so brilliantly written and well put together, what with its hard-to-play parts and odd time signatures, not to mention the great guitar sounds of the totally underrated Martin Barre.

I'm not sure how much "influence" Rush had on prototypical prog metal bands like Queensr˙che (moreso Floyd and early Genesis) or Fates Warning (probably more Iron Maiden), who both released their debuts in 1984. I will give you that Rush acted as a gap-filler, an intermediary for the source music of the early and mid-70s, particularly by the interregnum of approximately 1979-1984 when all the original influence bands either broke up, went straight to hell or changed their formats (or all three in succession).

Rush synthesized the better parts of the earlier prog/metal/hard bands, but they didn't innovate the pieces. And you can't discount the source material of which Rush was near contemporary or only a few years following. Dream Theaters' Jordan Rudess recalled why he dropped out of Juilliard and changed from classical to progressive keyboards: “Yeah, the reason I changed was because… in my teenage years, people started to turn me on to groups like Yes and Genesis, King Crimson and Pink Floyd – and I was very, very interested. I was aware of all the harmonies that I heard, that Keith Emerson was using in his music, but I didn’t… I wasn’t aware of that kind of power."

Edited by The Dark Elf - October 01 2020 at 00:52
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 19:43
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Yep. It seems that way. That could be because there seems to be a growing number of hipsters who are discovering prog and becoming fans. Since hipsters seem to like anything that isn't mainstream prog ticks those boxes for them. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 30 2020 at 19:44
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 22:29
^ Also, JoJo's bizarre adventure.........

My younger brother is a JoJo fanatic, and every time I mentioned a band or song I had to hear all about the JoJo's stand with the same name and a 5 minute explanation of its abilities.

A nice blow to the skull with a metal bat would have been preferable.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 02:11

Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Yep. It seems that way. That could be because there seems to be a growing number of hipsters who are discovering prog and becoming fans. Since hipsters seem to like anything that isn't mainstream prog ticks those boxes for them. 

So RYM could be mostly a hipster site? I'm also surprised at the popularity of Can on RYM. For example Can's Tago Mago has over 19 000 ratings, while Moving Pictures has over 13 000 ratings. In real world Moving Pictures is a way more known and widely listened album than Tago Mago. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 12:33
Are you kidding?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 02:49
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Are you kidding?

For what?

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 12:41

Wait till the people of Progarchives learn that Court of the Crimson King has no odd time signatures within its 5 songs, that'll be the day LOL

I've mentioned this before, but Schizoid actually does have time signature changes. And significant ones at that, during the sections with the pauses. It's one of the archetypal complicated prog songs with meter shifts.

The rest, of course, do not. I think the album is important because it was so varied for the time (among a couple other things). 

But I'm not trying to get into a debate about who's prog and who's protoneopsychotropophotozoic pop rox and who's more whatever. They're both prog. Let's be real.
ClosetothSupperBrick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClosetothSupperBrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 13:25
I voted yes but there should totally be a "sort of" option. I recently listened to "Obscured by Clouds", and while it has the elements of all their music, it clearly isn't prog. "Wish You Were Here" is classic prog however, and SOYCD is my 2nd favorite song of all time. Then they have songs/musical sections that feel very "in the middle", not quite prog but definitely "not prog"... if that's not confusing at all to people I'd be surprised lol.

Examples of this imo are Money, which while a good song, has a verse-chorus-verse structure and is only 6+ minutes - HOWEVER, there's that famous 7/8 time signature and a great sax solo by Dick Parry. But I like to judge songs by how many melodies there are, and how complex those melodies are. Money as well as "Fat Old Sun", "Breathe (In the Air)" and "Welcome to the Machine" have many great melodies, but sometimes I feel there's just not *enough* unique melodies that are also complex. Complex is hard to define though lol.

But when I made my "Ranking all Pink Floyd songs" list in the Lists section of the the forum, the overall sense I got was that PF are prog, but they have a lot of examples where they achieve prog without going into the crazy instrumental prowess that bands like Rush, KC, Yes, Genesis etc show. A song that is simple can be prog, prime example "Wot's... Uh the Deal".

Edited by ClosetothSupperBrick - October 03 2020 at 13:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>