Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cancelled Tours

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cancelled Tours
    Posted: April 25 2020 at 07:21
Hi,

Kinda strange ... seeing everyone cancel concerts and miss out on the chance to find/get a new audience ... which is the ONLINE FOLKS ... and create an online concert.

There is enough technology that would prevent someone from recording the material from the actual time it was played, although the visual side would probably be different, and not well defined enough at home to get this done when done.

In case no one saw, just in the past several days, the NFL draft obliterated the TV ratings and any other ratings for everyone checking these things out ... and this is the clue ...

Now is the time when services that can handle these things need to step up, BEFORE the corporate standards start feeding you Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan, until you get sick in your stomach!

PH, doesn't have to cancel ... he can do a concert in his studio well enough ... and record it on his own ... heck I will film it for free or direct it for free ... just to do it ... but the desire to spread the wings like we all did 50 years ago is GONE ... we're getting old and we don't trust technology ... well, I say screw technology ... and for those who "paid" for the performance, their names should be on the credits LIVE so that you get one thing that anyone else stealing did not! A true memento and thank you by the band and Peter. You will cherish seeing your name in there to the rest of your days and nights!

Just an example ... I'm tired of some "progressive" folks that think that all that is left is die, instead of doing the same hits yet again!

Edited by moshkito - April 25 2020 at 07:24
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 08:51
I can get the idea though that it's not quite the same online. I had tickets for Van der Graaf Generator in April, and this is moved to September now. I am pretty confident that seeing them properly live in September (if it happens, obviously there's some uncertainty in this) will be much more of an experience than following a home gig by Peter Hammill online. Which I'd do as well of course. I do think though that some wouldn't like to pay for that and think, well, we can see old gigs on youtube and DVD that we don't know yet, how much better is it to see them just "online live" in a home environment?

I also had a ticket for a Banco concert and there's no new date yet - surely I'd prefer an online gig to not seeing them at all this year. However, it's not the same. Rock music is physical, and much of this is lost over the net.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 09:43
I haven't frequented gigs for years. I bought a ticket for Big Big Train, but this event has been postponed to a later, yet unknown date.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 14:11
I've seen Kavus Torabi and Bob Drake do home streamed concerts since lockdown.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 20:08
We have tickets to several shows this year. We were going to travel home in June to New Orleans for Elton John and now that is postponed. The crazy one is Journey on May 15th, like 3wks away and still not cancelled or postponed.....Already told my wife we are not going if it goes on which will baffle me.
The other shows we have are in July and September........

The Jazz Festival in New Orleans is going virtual online, I'm not sure how this will work have not looked into it yet.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 21:18
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I do think though that some wouldn't like to pay for that and think, well, we can see old gigs on youtube and DVD that we don't know yet, how much better is it to see them just "online live" in a home environment?
...  surely I'd prefer an online gig to not seeing them at all this year. However, it's not the same. Rock music is physical, and much of this is lost over the net.

Hi,

I think this is when/where times have to change, and the bonus in all this, should be that the artist is much more the direct benefactor than the company that is bringing them to you, or the commercial group, and that is when you know that the corporate side has taken over and now you gonna get all the top ten live streams of everything from bathrooms to kitchens and less music all around, unless it matters to you how many cars and bikes the Boss has in his garage! That kind of stuff instead of the music!

(And here is the issue that starts the commercial everything ... which is why I would like to see the bands get control immediately before it's too late!!!!!)

All music is "physical" to a great degree ... however, our feeling has been the an IMAGE has been created from the "concert" about many bands, some of which do not need that "physical" thing ... for example, yeah it made sense to catch Led Zeppelin in their golden years ... but nowadays, it would look stupid and pathetic. Same for PF, that even though their quality would not come down, at the very least it would sound stale and not as good.

In the end, seeing something like this in your own theater at home, is something that you can't imagine because nowadays, in all reality, the wife likes it when she can go play with the girls (even bridge!!! of which I was a pro and can't play with them!!!), and I like the idea of smelling the roses and seeing a different place ... but it has nothing to do with the music ... ALL OF THE CONCERTS BY TD ON THE TUBE, ARE JUST AS EXCITING AND EMOTIONAL FOR ME, as the 5 times I saw them in person, which in reality ... we were apart from them too much ... and could not really see details or much of anything ... and a stream, well directed and put together, would resolve this quickly, and give you a much better and more emotional show that most venues. 

For us "progressive folks", thinking that we must have this "physical" release to see Tangerine Dream, or Klaus Schulze or Peter Hammill. For us, it is also a major intellectual enjoyment ... the kind that we probably do not have every day ... and so on.

Yesterday was "physical" ... for me, tomorrow, is about it being AESTHETIC, not physical or ideal.

And I think that streaming will help us with that a lot more ... 

Edited by moshkito - April 25 2020 at 21:27
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 01:58
I have tickets for Steve Hackett in November. Haven't checked the status of that tour just yet.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 03:25
It's not that simple for bands - for instance someone suggested to Pendragon that they do a streamed concert but they all live hours away from each other and they're not allowed to get together under lockdown rules.

It would be ok for a solo artist.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 04:16
Missed out on Dweezil Zappa and Nile, that would’ve been 2 gigs in 2 weeks. Major bummer.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 13:35
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

It's not that simple for bands - for instance someone suggested to Pendragon that they do a streamed concert but they all live hours away from each other and they're not allowed to get together under lockdown rules.

Hi,

Watch Rachel Flowers doing HAMBURGER CONCERTO with European folks over the internet ... sounded great to me ... and everyone was quite far from everyone else!

It can be done, and needs to be devised soon, before the corporate companies find it and take it away ... MLS is already talking streaming, and I think they will be the first to go for it across the whole country, and the only folks that would not be able to see it would be the local folks that might/could see the game 24 hours later or something like it.

I don't see, or know, of MLS complaining about their streams being stolen. And these days all it won't be difficult to see who copied things and is trying to steal ... they would be selling it "incognito" and the groups and companies need to make themselves area of 2nd hand and 3rd hand sellers for ALL streaming. Only one company can do this, not anyone else.

It's just scary how afraid of the technology we are ... in a time when we need it more than ever ... and all you got is old crap!

Edited by moshkito - April 27 2020 at 13:35
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 05:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Watch Rachel Flowers doing HAMBURGER CONCERTO with European folks over the internet ... sounded great to me ... and everyone was quite far from everyone else!

Was that done live or edited together afterwards?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 08:14

Hi,

Hi,

I got the whiff ... you're not gonna listen to find out! Shame ... what can be done with music, completely ignored even by fans!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 08:52

Hi,

Hi,

I got the whiff ... you're not gonna listen to find out! Shame ... what can be done with music, completely ignored even by fans!
You should check your facts before you go into one of your usual rants about other peoples' attitudes. I watched it all, maybe I missed something but I didn't see anything that answers my question - was this recorded live with everyone playing simultaneously?
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 16:40
It will be interesting to see how this hiatus from live performances will play out. Eventually live concerts will come back, and I can't wait to see the fans filling up the arenas to see their favorite artists. I personally would love to see again the Martin Bare Band (they were fantastic last year and I even got to meet Martin in person after the show. I just would like to see how much this time off affects the whole industry.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 23:56
Not lookin good for the Catcher10 family concert schedule........Cry

May 15th: Journey was cancelled
June 24th: Elton John postponed
July 3rd: Brit Floyd postponed to 2021
Sept 9th: Carrie Underwood (Wife and daughter have tixs) no news yet
Sept 23rd: Styx/REO no news yet
rocko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 10:47
Sorry if this was already mentioned somewhere else, but there was some kind of online concert called Prog From Home last weekend which can be rewatched on Youtube and lasts roughly 3 hours.

Participants list was/is quite impressive with the likes of Steve Hackett, Kansas, Neal Morse, Carl Palmer just to name a few

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 07:00
Originally posted by rocko rocko wrote:

Sorry if this was already mentioned somewhere else, but there was some kind of online concert called Prog From Home last weekend which can be rewatched on Youtube and lasts roughly 3 hours.

Participants list was/is quite impressive with the likes of Steve Hackett, Kansas, Neal Morse, Carl Palmer just to name a few

Hi,

Watched this last night, and it is quite nice and very enjoyable and the new/different things were even better, and I'm glad to see a lot of different things that stood out really well.

We need a lot more of this kind of thing ... 

Edited by moshkito - June 14 2020 at 07:47
www.pedrosena.com
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 03:03
Tune into Robert Fripp and Toyah's fun Sunday lunch time concerts on-line.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2020 at 13:43

Hi,

Hi,

You should check your facts before you go into one of your usual rants about other peoples' attitudes. I watched it all, maybe I missed something but I didn't see anything that answers my question - was this recorded live with everyone playing simultaneously?
If I may chime in here...Given the distances of the musicians it's all but impossible to play live 'in sync'. you could play live but the latency between sources would be such that it would no doubt sound horrible. Plus you have to deal with the variety of streaming speeds across the net. Any video of Rachel I've seen with her playing with various musicians is done to a click track and passed around to create a final project.
Just sayin'.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2020 at 14:00
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Hi,

Hi,

If I may chime in here...Given the distances of the musicians it's all but impossible to play live 'in sync'. you could play live but the latency between sources would be such that it would no doubt sound horrible. Plus you have to deal with the variety of streaming speeds across the net. Any video of Rachel I've seen with her playing with various musicians is done to a click track and passed around to create a final project.
Just sayin'.
Yea a digitally created concert with no crowd.......might as well watch reruns of American Idol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>