Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A Request For People To Review More King Gizzard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Request For People To Review More King Gizzard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Request For People To Review More King Gizzard
    Posted: April 26 2020 at 08:25
Hey!

I was thrilled to see King Gizzards addition to the archives, they are a very popular modern rock band but most of their albums only have around 20 ratings and i'd love to see these albums get a chance to compare with some other prog greats from all eras. Their music is very fresh, unique and actually progressive, so that's why I've been surprised they haven't gained much traction. So i'm recommending everybody check out these 3 albums, in my opinion these are their best (and most progressive).

Polygondwanaland (2017)

Flying Microtonal Banana (2017)

Nonagon Infinity (2016)

Hope you enjoy and hope to see some more love for these guys on PA! If you like these, I suggest next: I'm In Your Mind Fuzz, Murder of the Universe (arguably their most progressive, but there is a lot of spoken word so that can be offputting so some) and their most recent effort Infest the Rats Nest which is their take on thrash/stoner metal. I'm going to try to leave some reviews this week myself if I got time. Cheers!

(also, the song "The River" is pure jazzy prog bliss! Ok i'm done i swear LOL)

Edited by dougmcauliffe - April 26 2020 at 08:26
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 08:39
Love this band
So cool and fun and sorta like experimental surfermusic. My faves are Sketches of Brunswick East, Murder Of The Universe and the banana of course.

I don’t know...I think many prog fans expect prog to sound like prog...and these guys definitely don’t. They are probably too surf for old school prog fans to really get behind, whereas the folks that went mad for them a couple of years back and also got them added to PA...well I guess they didn’t dig the band as much as they thought?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 08:42
^ yeah, all the bugaboo to get them added to the site and then it's crickets. Personally i like them OK but they don't blow my socks off into orbit either. I did review that thrash metal album they did but that's it so far. I'lll get to them eventually.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 08:49
Maybe more people should write reviews in general. Not that anyone cares but at some point I plan on writing reviews(although not for King Gizzard specifically). I wrote prog reviews a long time ago so it's not like I ever did it before. However, at the moment unfortunately I have other priorities.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 26 2020 at 08:51
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 09:36
This band is def more popular with younger folks then older folks, but I really think people on this site would really dig their sound if they gave them a chance. I love the old school retro stuff, but this band is really breaking new ground imo, and I know that's what many look for in Modern Prog. I really like that no matter what style they're doing, it still distinctly sounds like King Gizzard.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - April 26 2020 at 09:38
zeuhl1 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
RPI Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeuhl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 09:47
I saw them last year and thought they were quite surprisingly good. Polygondwanaland definitely qualifies-Check out Crumbling Castle online if you get a chance. Wait here's a good vid of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ycw7udHOnw

Edited by zeuhl1 - April 26 2020 at 10:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 09:51
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

This band is def more popular with younger folks then older folks, but I really think people on this site would really dig their sound if they gave them a chance. I love the old school retro stuff, but this band is really breaking new ground imo, and I know that's what many look for in Modern Prog. I really like that no matter what style they're doing, it still distinctly sounds like King Gizzard.

Well, to be fair a lot of bands are more popular with younger folks than older folks and probably the opposite is true as well. Here's how I see it:

Younger folks: indie/indie prog, alternative prog, progressive metal (bands like the Mars Volta, Coheed and Cambria, Decemberists, The Pineapple Thief, Tame Impala, Mastodon, Opeth, etc). Really almost any prog metal in particular or anything metallish or "indie" or alternative sounding.

Older folks: Tend to be much more into symphonic prog and traditional sounding prog in general(possibly because that's the sound they grew up with(I know I'm in this boat). Yes, ELP, Genesis, Camel, PFM, etc. For "newer" bands I would say Spock's Beard, Glass Hammer, The Tangent, The Flower Kings, Magic Pie, Wobbler, etc. It's weird that as well known as they are Yes has suprisingly few younger fans. The same could be said to a great degree about ELP and the Moody Blues as well and we can extend that to Strawbs, Nektar, Focus and on and on. Camel for some reason seem to have a growing number of younger  fans probably due to the fact that Opeth has sited them as a major influence(especially on the damnation album). Likewise, King Crimson seem to have tons of younger fans because they opened up for Tool and are also often sited as an influence on prog metal.

The band who strikes me as bridging the gap and probably more than any others(and has maybe an equal number of fans from both the older and new camps)is King Crimson. Runners up would be Rush and Porcupine Tree(and of course Pink Floyd but that kind of goes without saying). 

Anyway, yes I do plan on checking out King Gizzard at some point but there are other space rock/psych bands I plan on exploring as well(too numerous to mention here). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 26 2020 at 10:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 10:24
How about this, I know many of you have stuff you'd rather listen to or stuff you want to get to first. If you got 10 minutes try the song crumbling castle, its a fan favorite and my favorite song by them.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - April 26 2020 at 10:29
zeuhl1 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
RPI Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeuhl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 10:32
One problem some have with King Gizzard is they have such a wide variety of material. Last year's album sounded like mid 80's Motorhead, while some of their previous releases are surf rock, 60's folk pop, 10cc pop, King Crimson indie style prog, microtonal tuned jazzy indie, metal prog, narrated fantasy rock, stoner rock...most albums have their own vague theme and they stick to it. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 11:24
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Maybe more people should write reviews in general. Not that anyone cares but at some point I plan on writing reviews(although not for King Gizzard specifically). I wrote prog reviews a long time ago so it's not like I ever did it before. However, at the moment unfortunately I have other priorities.

Hi,

Reviews is a "lost art" ... since too many people don't read much anymore ... check the net, wiki, PA and then reply with 3 words ... voila ... your a perfect member of the group!

I have almost 600 film reviews and I get a lot of comments about it, which is nice and some reviews have been used in a couple of International Film Festivals, since a lot of those films is my main focus.

I have over 100 music/rock reviews, but I'm kinda concerned about posting them here, knowing that for many people having a deeper or better understanding of the time and place helps learn something more about the music ... the stuff in the late 60's was not about the hit, or the charts ... and yet, we treat them like they are all hits now, and the discussions many times are really sad, in my estimation.

One film example ... is Alfred Hitchcock ... and how these days, so few people give a darn, because their favorite action film is better and more exciting than bird poop over some of the women in the shower. With some really major editing of film added to it to invoke more emotion and your reaction ... but does anyone care? Fudge no! Even Elvis is second rate for most folks here, and some even talk of Miles as just another stoned goon out there playing an instrument!

I will do more reviews, but posting them here, will take some more than just ... I don't give a poop about all that ... but the website, with its "populist" idea, is not capable, or willing of making a good decision on what a review is, and I would say that a sizable portion of them should not be there ... that means that we should have a group that makes these calls, but the "populist/democratic" idea is a problem ... just check out that one thread about those freedoms ... inevitably there is stuff that is not appreciated and defeats the purpose of the website and the music, which is to ensure that more people see it ... however we don't have to lie and sugar coat the crap, either! We just have to be honest ... my favorite example is/was that I did not like "Switched on Baboon" and got tired of it in 5 minutes, and when it was used differently, all of a sudden everyone thought it was magnificent ... and none of those folks were classical music listeners!

That's almost another issue ... a different generation! But today's folks don't read ... they check the net for the simplistic line and notion they can find ... that suits them, because a review doesn't!

That said I will give it a listen based on a couple of thoughts above, although in general, music tends to "find me", and I do not have to go looking for things to listen to.

Edited by moshkito - April 26 2020 at 11:25
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 13:54

Older folks: Tend to be much more into symphonic prog and traditional sounding prog in general(possibly because that's the sound they grew up with(I know I'm in this boat). Yes, ELP, Genesis, Camel, PFM, etc. For "newer" bands I would say Spock's Beard, Glass Hammer, The Tangent, The Flower Kings, Magic Pie, Wobbler, etc.
I'm 60 and this generalization does not apply to me. Always looking to find new bands and I like current bands as much as those I grew up with. Thank You Scientist, Izz, Echolyn, The Aristocrats, Mike Keneally, Haken, Sanguine Hum, Frost*, Marco Minnemann, Nova Collective, French TV, etc. I would not classify any of them as "traditional sounding prog".

Have listened to Gizzard...not my thing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 14:19
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Older folks: Tend to be much more into symphonic prog and traditional sounding prog in general(possibly because that's the sound they grew up with(I know I'm in this boat). Yes, ELP, Genesis, Camel, PFM, etc. For "newer" bands I would say Spock's Beard, Glass Hammer, The Tangent, The Flower Kings, Magic Pie, Wobbler, etc.
I'm 60 and this generalization does not apply to me. Always looking to find new bands and I like current bands as much as those I grew up with. Thank You Scientist, Izz, Echolyn, The Aristocrats, Mike Keneally, Haken, Sanguine Hum, Frost*, Marco Minnemann, Nova Collective, French TV, etc. I would not classify any of them as "traditional sounding prog".

Have listened to Gizzard...not my thing.

Yes, it was a generalization. However, although most of them aren't really symph prog I wouldn't describe any of them as metallish(except maybe the Aristocrats), indie or alternative sounding(based on what I know about them but admittedy I could be a bit off on some of them). 

Anyway, although there are always exceptions to the rule, based on concerts I have been to there are some that had a predominantly older audience and some that had a predominantly younger audience. I'm somewhere in the middle although no doubt leaning towards the older end these days. One band I saw that had an almost even split between older and younger(and not much in between)was Ozric Tentacles. There might be others like them too but usually the age range seems to be lopsided with either most fans over 55 or most 25 and younger. Again, there's always exceptions to the rule but this has been my experience and as such it is my opinion. 

By the way, French TV is an older band dating back to the 80's. Echolyn are a bit older too but if you were just going for post seventies bands then point taken. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 26 2020 at 14:22
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 14:27
I find them fascinating and annoying in equal measure LOL
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 00:54
Love this band, I have a few of their albums Polygondwanaland being their best and most progressive.
Yes they should be reviewed more as so many other bands in the archives.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 01:30

In terms of the number of ratings, Polygondwanaland has gone past the point where it is now "Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music", although it is not in the Top 100 in spite of having a score of 4.32 with the lowest score in the Top 100 being 4.22.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 02:49
^ The number of reviewers/ raters is also taken into consideration.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 07:56
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

In terms of the number of ratings, Polygondwanaland has gone past the point where it is now "Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music", although it is not in the Top 100 in spite of having a score of 4.32 with the lowest score in the Top 100 being 4.22.

Means very little with only 20 ratings though, that's why we need more reviews. I think that album is easily capable of being 4.10+, I plan on posting a review this week myself. Smile
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 09:31
For the past 10-15 years, I've been visiting PA with the desire to create reviews of my favourite albums. But in that time, the closest I've come is to become a member at the start of 2018. The reason I joined when I did was to put forward my 2 cents worth about King Gizzard being on this site, not long after Polygondwanaland was released. However, in the two years since I've joined, I've felt less inclined towards reviewing albums, though I still wonder what album will be my first review if any. I haven't even rated an album, though rating an album without reviewing it has never appealed to me.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 10:27
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I find them fascinating and annoying in equal measure LOL

Fascinnoying. Fits them perfectly!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 11:21
Hi,

I wish that "metal" (related)  folks did not try to get into PA ... my thoughts are that many of those bands came here because there is no site that works and discusses their music as much as here.

I don't dislike the material, but so far, one listen, was not enough but it was way too much metal for me ... I'll listen some more and maybe review an album, but that is not a promise.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>