Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Infernal by Phideaux

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Infernal by Phideaux
    Posted: April 27 2020 at 08:59
What do you think about Infernal being rated 4 stars and Doomsday Afternoon being rated 4.20? Is Infernal less good than Doomsday?
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
SbMSU View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SbMSU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 11:18
Doomsday Afternoon>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Infernal.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 11:29
I don't know but i just downloaded Phideaux's entire discography for free on Bandcamp! (except for the three albums i already had!)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 12:08
4.0 vs. 4.2 stars? Are we splitting hairs now? Confused
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 12:10
I listened to most of his discography and was planning to buy a couple of them when Bandcamp has its special where all the money goes to the artist on May 1. Snowtorch is my favorite.

If it were up to me I would rate the last three as follows:
Doomsday Afternoon (4.00)
Snowtorch (4.50)
Infernal (3.75)
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
fronobulax View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fronobulax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 17:09
I really like both albums. I think infernal gets a little "long" towards the end, but I love the development of musical themes found on both. The first "3 sides" of infernal are fantastic and equal to "Doomsday" imo.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 18:20
Both are great. Infernal is a double CD... maybe the reason it's rated 0.2 stars less?
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 19:25
There is a lot of material on Infernal, to its detriment. It's just too much and I come away from it without a recollection of a particular stand-out melody.

This is a disappointment for me because stand-out melodies are what I've come to expect from Phideaux. I gave Infernal a poor rating, while Doomsday and Snowtorch stole my heart!
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 20:43
I think is more a matter of personal taste. I like both very much and enjoy them quite a bit.
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 21:23
I agree. There's no denying the level of musicianship in any of these albums, that's for sure.
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 02:29
I am one of the few who feels that it is every bit as good as what came before.
Then again I seem to have read some of the same Wikileaks stuff that Xavier infused the album in. I imagine that most folks listening to the album merely writes off the lyrics as the usual conspiracy theories.

I also really dig the instrumentation. It is obvious that his band has beefed up the chops...and I also happen to adore Xavier’s flair for melody.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 15:40
Doomsday>Snowtorch>    >Infernal
GoliathTMV View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoliathTMV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 17:32
What Wikileaks stuff?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 00:15
^I urge anyone to find out for themselves. That’s all I’ll say about it. I’ve had way too many “discussions” with folks who’ve never read a single page..yet have no problem in dismissing all and everything because they watch BBC or something similar.
Only works when you search for information yourself and I don’t want to colour anyone’s view beforehand...hell maybe they would come back and tell me that it’s all fugazi. That’d be nice..and highly unlikely.

Sorry to be so “cryptic” but this is not my first jig around the bonfire
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
softandwet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 06:20
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^I urge anyone to find out for themselves. That’s all I’ll say about it. I’ve had way too many “discussions” with folks who’ve never read a single page..yet have no problem in dismissing all and everything because they watch BBC or something similar.
Only works when you search for information yourself and I don’t want to colour anyone’s view beforehand...hell maybe they would come back and tell me that it’s all fugazi. That’d be nice..and highly unlikely.

Sorry to be so “cryptic” but this is not my first jig around the bonfire

OK, but, anyway, could you explain us?
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 06:31
That was exactly the point of my post. I can’t/won’t because I’ve tried this so many times by now. It’s futile without the recipiant having some form of referencepoint...which they only can achieve by doing a little reading on their own. Quite simple really...though not so much in today’s society where we’re used to being served with information via the news.
This way you can actually make up your own mind as you go along

Anyway back to Infernal: I actually quite like the flow of the thing. The generally shorter tunes come together as a whole much like they did on Number Seven - another fave of mine (I actually remember Xavier being online over PA back in those days. I seem to remember him starting a thread called ‘My violinist has gone berserk for RPI’).

- Douglas Adams
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 19:37
Infernal and Doomsday are two of the best prog albums of the 21st century, and belong on the best ever list. 
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2023 at 08:40
Infernal, in my opinion, is just as good as Doomsday Afternoon, and is the perfect album to complete The Great Leap Trilogy.
 Post Reply Post Reply