Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Do You Think Of Adrian Belew's Voice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Do You Think Of Adrian Belew's Voice?
    Posted: April 28 2020 at 10:50
You may talk talk but only talk about it. Wink LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 11:17
I like his vocals on the KC material where he was in the band when it was written, clearly the lyrics and music suit his voice. His vocals do not work as well on the older material IMHO. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 11:58
Great vocalist. Been listening since his gig in Zappa's band. Lone Rhino and The Bears debut are in regular rotation.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 12:33
Fine singer I guess, but not something I go wow about. I find him more interesting as a guitarist.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 12:36
I try not to think about it.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 13:13
Good singer, sharp and clear, but not good for every kind of stuff.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 13:32
A very good singer, but as others have said his voice doesn't work so well with old KC material.

I loved his performance on Zappa's Baby Snakes live concert film.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
joels344 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joels344 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 13:47
I think he's a great singer even if I'm not too big on his Crimson output post-Discipline. On a side note, I've actually met Belew several times and he's one of the nicest musicians I've ever met. 
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 14:09
Excellent voice. Lots of character. Maybe too much character for some, but just right for me.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 15:03
Very good singer indeed...the sound of his voice is not really pleasant and agreeable though.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 17:35
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

agree---he did a great job on the slower KC songs and was a good interpreter of the more descriptive songs but can't tell what else he could do.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 21:41
Originally posted by joels344 joels344 wrote:

I think he's a great singer even if I'm not too big on his Crimson output post-Discipline. On a side note, I've actually met Belew several times and he's one of the nicest musicians I've ever met. 

Absolutely, he's a fine chap!  

I was at Chicago's Park West Theater on Oct 31, 1993 to see Bob Fripp play with David Sylvian ("Wave"), and Adrian was in the audience.  He was kind of being pestered by guys in the audience, and this was about when "Wayne's World" was big at the theaters, so I exclaimed 'WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!" and did the bowing and worshipping act from the movie (when Wayne and Garth met Alice Cooper)....he cracked up!! 

That might have been the third or fourth time I bumped into him over time, he is truly a nice fellow and very accessible.  His vocal style is great for the New Wave spoken stuff ("Elephant Talk") but not nearly as good on the old, classic Crimson.  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 08:12
Love it! Songs like Matte Kudasai and Frame by Frame really show more of his vocal talent than others.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 08:16
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I'm totally with you on this one.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 08:17
I haven't listened to the KC Belew albums in quite some time. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 09:05
It's kinda funny but I had Baby Snakes before I even knew who he was until Discipline came along.  He does have an interesting style for me as it were. I guess with Discipline and Lone Rhinoceros I acquired the taste shall we say.

I would like to add that the Baby Snakes is a 5 star DVD and essential to any fan of prog IMHO. Wink

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 29 2020 at 09:07
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 10:28
Not a bad voice but usually over-dramatic and rarely "sung," more "force-talked." 

After so many comic and tongue-in-cheek lyrics, it's hard to take him seriously when he wants us to.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 14:02
I do enjoy him with King Crimson. Not among my favourite singers, though, but I do like him.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 14:03
I can't stand him at all . Discipline - just go and do something else but no he just had to go and ruin a perfectly good band.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 14:13
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I can't stand him at all . Discipline - just go and do something else but no he just had to go and ruin a perfectly good band.

Well, the rest of the perfectly good band was apparently fine with that. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply