Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do you think of Derek Shulman's voice?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 04:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I've always felt that GG would have been a bit more popular if they had a different lead singer. The same thing with PG era Genesis.

I don't think Gabriel's voice was an impairment to the bands success at the time. They were still on the ascendancy when he decided to quit. They had released 7 albums, including FGTR and the live album, and in the UK, three had made the top 10 in the album charts, and Foxtrot just sat outside at number 12. SEBTP made it to number 3. On the Lamb Tour the band played what is now Wembley arena. By 1975 they were pretty successful, and much of that was down to Gabriel. They were also doing quite reasonable business across Europe. The US was the challenge, and they needed a change in direction to really break that market. That obviously came later.

As for GG, I'm not a huge fan of the vocals, but they weren't bad and I don't think they had much bearing on the bands success or otherwise. The reason they weren't more successful is because their music was too quirky and inaccessible.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 03:41
Much like Gary Green's guitar; had just enough of the nitty gritty to keep Gentle Giant from floating away. My favourite of the GG vocalists. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 03:05
His ability to "shift" into different levels of vocal intensity, on the same phrase, and even sometimes in the same note that he's holding, is incredible.

I Lost My Head is secretly one of the best GG tracks. Their golden era swansong track for me!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 02:52
Bloody hell - he's one of the best vocalists around!
All members of GG can sing.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 02:49
I've always liked it. He's not good in a conventional way, but I think that's what I like about his voice tbh.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 01:56
Great singer, but somehow I can't appreciate his vocals on the 'In a Glass House' album.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 00:52
Derek rocks. Guy's range is fantastic. His tone and note selection are great. I can understand if he's a tad sterile for some, but for prog rock? GG is perfection!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 00:32
Nothing wrong with it, but I usually prefer Kerry Minnear's vocals (though Derek's fit many GG songs better and they knew well enough who should sing which).
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 21:22
Love his voice.

PROGMATIC
foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 20:38
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I've always felt that GG would have been a bit more popular if they had a different lead singer. The same thing with PG era Genesis.

One of my dreams is to wake up and realize that I now like Gabriel's voice so that I can finally enjoy Genesis' awesome music.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 20:04
I like all the singers in GG---and I think they are an amazing band--but only a fan of a few select albums.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 19:08
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 18:44
I guess a pertinent question is: how many have been warded off from the band specifically because of his vocals?
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 18:26
This isn't get annoying

I'll sum up the thread here, some will like it, some wont. Will it effect how much I enjoy the band? No.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - April 28 2020 at 18:27
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 18:18
It seems there's a theme happening. I'm in quarantine, with not much better to do. So I might as well jump on this bandwagon. I had some friends who couldn't get into Gentle Giant, one of my favorite bands, because of Derek's voice, despite being initially intrigued by their music. Opinions away! (Personally, I don't have a problem with him. I can hear where they're coming from, and he isn't perfect, some songs are better than others.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12