Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback on my prog project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occhigialli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feedback on my prog project
    Posted: April 28 2020 at 19:29
I recorded three songs this past week, under the moniker of Occhi Gialli. Influences are Goblin, Libra, ELP and King Crimson. They're short songs and also take influence from the soundtracks of 70's thriller/horror films.

Everything is recorded by me. I would be very thankful for feedback. I'm a jazz kid and I haven't really written any rock/prog songs before, so this is my first attempt.

I recommend ''Death Watches Through Oblique Windows''.

Cheers!

Edited by occhigialli - April 28 2020 at 19:41
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 03:38
Nice. I can dig the "lost cassette" sorta vibe here. The conventional criticism might be "bring the drums up" as they are a bit lost in the mud (and they could be just a bit clearer), however I personally wouldn't care to hear this all sharp and huge and "correct"; you'd lose some of the character in the process. 

My main advice for you would be to ramp up the ambition in your following compositions. Maybe try stretching out a few more minutes and adding some different parts / dynamics. You've got a cool thing going here, we just need more!

Anyway I was pleasantly surprised with this. I'm sure you'll kick on well.

Cheers!
- Gabe
occhigialli View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occhigialli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 13:34
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Nice. I can dig the "lost cassette" sorta vibe here. The conventional criticism might be "bring the drums up" as they are a bit lost in the mud (and they could be just a bit clearer), however I personally wouldn't care to hear this all sharp and huge and "correct"; you'd lose some of the character in the process. 

My main advice for you would be to ramp up the ambition in your following compositions. Maybe try stretching out a few more minutes and adding some different parts / dynamics. You've got a cool thing going here, we just need more!

Anyway I was pleasantly surprised with this. I'm sure you'll kick on well.

Cheers!
- Gabe

Thank you for the kind words and the criticism. I'm hoping to develop the existing songs more and recording them ''professionally'', or adding those parts myself as more ideas arise.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 16:32
Thumbs Up
N-sz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote N-sz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 11:26
Hey, pretty nice! I like the production myself. Definitely not a sound I would expect to find on a random forum haha. The video clips fit nicely.
My favorite of these is The Doll with Glass Teeth. I'll like to hear more in the future!

Edited by N-sz - May 11 2020 at 11:31
flyingveepixie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote flyingveepixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 02:48
Yes, not too bad at all.. 

"Occhi Gialli'  : 'Yellow Eyes'     right..? 

It's all a bit muddy sounding.   I'd like to hear it with crisper production and better sounding drums but I like the ideas, and they go really well with the movie clips..  :)

Edited by flyingveepixie - May 12 2020 at 02:55
 Post Reply Post Reply