Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cinema Show vs Firth of Fifth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which Genesis song do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [19.44%]
43 [59.72%]
15 [20.83%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 14:10
I almost went with firth of fifth since if I were to do a list of my top Genesis songs it would probably be ahead of Cinema Show, however, ultimately they are more or less equal to me though.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 14:32
Firth of Fifth for sure. Cinema Show is an excellent piece of music, and the keyboard solo is quite amazing, with a nice flute section in it, but Firth of Fifth has a great piano intro, excellent flute playing (if only a little), a great keyboard solo, and the amazing guitar solo by Steve Hackett, so overall, a more complete song, with a better melody, and all the members of the band (the bass and the drums are quite amazing too) contribute big time to make it and out of this world listening experience.    
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 16:56
Firth Of Fifth. Not enough Hackett in The Cinema Show.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 22:11
Cinema Show has always been one of my fav Genesis songs...
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 00:41
Unfair contest. Firth Of Fifth beats everything else.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 01:37
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Cinema Show has always been one of my fav Genesis songs...

Ditto.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 01:54
Fifth for me.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 03:48
Firth of Fifth is perfection.

Cinema Show - I prefer the more bombastic live version from Seconds Out , the studio version just seems to 'die' before going into Aisle Of Plenty.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 08:28
Cinema Show: the acoustic beginning (Gabriel and Hackett) is wonderful but then, when Banks take the control... To my ears, Cinema Show isn't a masterpiece just as Musical Box isn't.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 17:03
Firth Of Fifth, really.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 18:47
FoF by a hair. 
Man, that guitar solo!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 21:46
Firth of Fifth, its my favorite Genesis song Tongue
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 07:46
Both equally, 2 absolute classics, love them both.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 08:17
Firth easily but I like Cinema as well. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 08:27
If were talking the originals from SEBTP, then Firth of Fifth gets my vote. Te piano intro and Hackett's lead guitar work wins out here.

Equals if we were voting on the Seconds Out live versions. Two of the greatest live performances ever recorded.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2020 at 07:32
I love SEBTP as a whole but if I have to choose, then it's relatively easy for me. FoF is one of the finest progrock song ever written and it gets my vote. Fantastic piano intro with long instrumental part full of Hackett in the second half of the song make this composition almost perfect. Then it'd be DwtMK from SEBTP and third TCS (with or without Aisle of Plenty).
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2020 at 09:57
Not only is Firth of Fifth better than The Cinema Show, it's the greatest single composition the band has ever done.

Yes, even better than Supper's Ready!
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2020 at 10:06
Love both but I'll take the Fifth on this one.
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imperial Zeppelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2020 at 10:25
Firth of Fifth is perhaps my favourite Genesis track so it gets my vote
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 01:04
I love both of them. But since I like guitars slightly better than keyboards, I went for FoF. It has one of the best guitar solos in the history of rock music. Only Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb ties with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>