9 [13.43%]
4 [5.97%]
5 [7.46%]
5 [7.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Personal Journey through 1978
    Posted: May 03 2020 at 02:37
I turned 16 in 1978 but at the time I didn't realise prog dying was on its feet as the bands started to simplify in the face of punk/AOR/disco...anyway, I got to attend the two major Knebworth festivals where I saw a lot of these bands (those were the days).  Who did you see/want to see?
*Zappa was in the thick of label litigation at the time so was not promoting a particular album...

Edited by Rick1 - May 03 2020 at 03:07
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 03:44
The Tubes ( borderline prog band) and the Genesis album which I love.

Edited by richardh - May 03 2020 at 03:45
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 04:00
Not heard all of these, but voted Roy Harper, that´s really great! Hawklords really good too!

Only from these I have seen is Hawkwind, but it was almost 30 years after 1978! LOL

Edited by Mortte - May 03 2020 at 06:30
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 05:56
National Health and Brand X in the first place. Would've loved to go see Steve Hillage live, too, but Green is not a particular favourite. I haven't listened to the Tubes for a very very long time. They didn't appeal to me a lot, what, 20 years ago, but they had something interesting about them. Maybe I should give them another try. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 06:01
None in 78. But Zappa in 77 and attended both his early and late show in 80. And Health, one of the best shows I've ever been to, in 79.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 06:28
Ooh I could think of some goodies I saw in my teens that I think a lot of folks around here wish they were there.  I feel a poll of my own coming on.  Thanks for the inspiration.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 07:49
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The Tubes ( borderline prog band) and the Genesis album which I love.

Hi,

The Tubes first album is excellent and very enjoyable ... not sure that would be considered "progressive" as it is all over the place but a very nice listen from beginning to the end ... however, it's satirical edge in that album might only be appreciated in California!

GENESIS I had already fallen for all the European stuff all over and did not bother with it anymore. Even PG was secondary for me to the great European bands.

Edited by moshkito - May 03 2020 at 07:49
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 08:03
National Health from your list, but 1978 was pretty good year overall:

UK - s/t
Babylon - s/t
Illusion - s/t
Cathedral - Stained Glass Stories
Gotic - Escenes
Bubu - Anabelas
Renaissance - A Song for All Seasons
Tangerine Dream - Cyclone
etc
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 10:07
I would have loved to see them all. I was still living in Central America back then, so I never had a chance to see any of my prog heroes in their glory days.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 12:49
The only band on the list I saw that year was The Tubes, and it was my first concert. One helluva way to be introduced to the scene! Genesis, PG, and Jefferson Starship were the only other bands on my radar at the time and I would have been glad to see any one of them. In fact, I tried to get tickets to Genesis but the seats were in the nose-bleed section of a large venue, so I passed. I think that's when I went to see the Outlaws open for Foghat, who put on a much more elaborate show than expected. Now, I would have loved to have seen all of them. I also saw Yes and Jethro Tull that year.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 13:16
Genesis/Hawklords (tie). Brand X. Zappa. Hillage.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 14:02
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Who did you see/want to see?

Lol, I totally missed the point, thought you're sharing your favourite albums from 1978 I was -8 years old that year!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 14:18
I turned 16 in 1979 but my first proper gig was Barclay James Harvest in 1978. I was going to see Hillage with National health supporting but couldn't make it from Devon to London :(

Of the albums listed, Hillage, Harper, Brand X, National Health and Hawklords are my picks of 78

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 15:04
Saw Gabriel in Chicago Oct 1978...very good show.
Didn't see Harper until the early 90's in Chicago....but he was excellent.

Would have liked to seen the others...maybe not the Tubes..never a fan of their music .
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 15:25
Roy, Frank, Genesis, Nat Health
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 18:48
Gabriel for me . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 19:10
NH just over Brand X
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 20:56
Green is absolutely brilliant.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 06:31
National Health beating Genesis?  When I saw them, they were supporting Hillage at a 500 capacity venue whereas Genesis headlined Knebworth which was attended by 60,000 approx.  How times change!  Not long after, Dave Stewart more or less gave up...
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 17:52
Brand X just over Roy Harper. I've seen them both since but would have loved to seen Brand X on that tour and Harper when he was younger. A lot of great groups on this list I DID see around that time.
My big regrets concert-wise were shows for which I bought tickets -- only to have them cancelled. "Night of the Guitar" lasted just long enough to make a live CD and the colliding egos couldn't co-exist, ending the tour. Hawkwind's last U.S. tour never happened due to visa problems. Suzanne Vega's concert at Cain Park in Cleveland Heights was cx'd after a band member was shot to death! And had tickets to my first Grateful Dead show when Jerry Garcia passed away.
And now Brand X on April 1 in Cleveland, cancelled due to coronavirus.
PROGMATIC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>