Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rush remasters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Can you hear much of a difference ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
10 [100.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Rush remasters
    Posted: May 12 2020 at 06:53
I upgraded all my Rush CD's to the remastered versions I'm still not convinced I did the right thing, I'll be honest I can't pick much of a difference... what do you think ? Tongue

Edited by Enchant X - May 12 2020 at 06:55
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 07:06
I don't know really. I went from the originals (mostly vinyl) to the 3 Sector box sets, which sound very good.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 08:39
Looks pretty much the same. It is like the new remasters from Led Zeppelin. I got all of them. The only difference is the extra CD.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 08:58
I didn't notice an awful lot of difference, same with the various Led Zep ones.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 09:41
Considering that I bought the remasters back when they were released in the later 90s and then gave all my non remastered versions to my younger cousin, I don't really remember. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 10:25
This is all good to know.  I recently sold my Rush vinyls (out of necessity unfortunately), but am now able to start getting them all back as I find them.  The only remaster I have got so far is "Presto", which is the first time I've owned it on vinyl, and it definitely sounds better than the older CD version.  I did manage to keep the original "Rush Archives" on vinyl (which most know are their first 3 albums in one package), but I will probably end up with all of the vinyls again eventually, and if there really isn't that much difference, if I find a used one in excellent shape, I won't hold out for the remaster.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 13:00
I can't chose since this is about the CD versions and in general those 90's "Remastered" are not very good, as most of those 90s CD are.
The Reissue/Remastered releases of the past couple years (ones on LP) are fantastic! They are remastered by Sean Magee at Abbey Road Studios, pressed by QRP and Sean cut them as DMM, pressed on 200g LPs. DMM is Direct Metal Mastering onto a copper plate, so it eliminates one of the steps in making an LP....I have all of them 'cept Test For Echo. 
For example Moving Pictures the holy grail is the original that is mastered by Robert Ludwig at Masterdisk, both sides. The 2015 version is as good if not better in some cases, the RL version can be a bit more beefy in the lows.....but for a VG++ condition original press you'll pay $75-$100.

Some are on par IMO, like AFTK my original is mastered at JAMF and is a tough one to beat, but the new one is also fantastic....For the most part all of the reissues by Sean Magee have been praised as excellent issues.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 13:01
I only bought these albums once. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 13:38
Option #2.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 14:42
Yeah the reissues are no great improvement soundwise although I like the bonus material that comes with some of them especially the live stuff when they toured England in the late seventies. Worth having for that.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 15:54
not much of a difference, really.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 07:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yeah the reissues are no great improvement soundwise although I like the bonus material that comes with some of them especially the live stuff when they toured England in the late seventies. Worth having for that.
I've got the FTK 40th anniversary edition. As Richard says, worth having for the live stuff recorded at Hammersmith Odeon the night after I went, the downside is the awful version of Xanadu by Dream Theater.

And actually, it doesn't say that the original album is remastered.

Edited by chopper - May 13 2020 at 07:33
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJoker7169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 08:00
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I've got the FTK 40th anniversary edition. As Richard says, worth having for the live stuff recorded at Hammersmith Odeon the night after I went... And actually, it doesn't say that the original album is remastered.

It is, and it does say. All the recent anniversary releases use the 2015 remasters by Sean Magee, which are fantastic. As far as Rush digital releases go, these are probably the best these albums have ever sounded and will ever sound. Some may prefer "original" CD releases, but even those folks would be the first to admit that Sean's work is without fault.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 06:49
Originally posted by JediJoker7169 JediJoker7169 wrote:

I've got the FTK 40th anniversary edition. As Richard says, worth having for the live stuff recorded at Hammersmith Odeon the night after I went... And actually, it doesn't say that the original album is remastered.

It is, and it does say. All the recent anniversary releases use the 2015 remasters by Sean Magee, which are fantastic. As far as Rush digital releases go, these are probably the best these albums have ever sounded and will ever sound. Some may prefer "original" CD releases, but even those folks would be the first to admit that Sean's work is without fault.
Maybe mine is a different version then. On the back it just says "original album" and I can't see anywhere it says it's remastered.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 09:22

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I've got the FTK 40th anniversary edition. As Richard says, worth having for the live stuff recorded at Hammersmith Odeon the night after I went, the downside is the awful version of Xanadu by Dream Theater.

And actually, it doesn't say that the original album is remastered.

I believe the OP is referring to the standard remasters, not the deluxe anniversary editions that add live recordings.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 13:42
Over the years, reading about the different versions, the consensus is that the '97 Remasters are not as good as the originals and the Sector boxsets are better still. I haven't got any of the 97 ones, only original vinyl and the x3 Sector Boxsets, which sound very good indeed. 

Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 14:45
well that`s a No from me
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 14:54
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

I upgraded all my Rush CD's to the remastered versions I'm still not convinced I did the right thing, I'll be honest I can't pick much of a difference... what do you think ? Tongue

Does Geddy's voice change on the remasters.  LOL.......Not a fan of Rush because of Geddy.  
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 17:28
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

Does Geddy's voice change on the remasters.  LOL.......Not a fan of Rush because of Geddy.  

Are you a fan of Triumph? Santers?
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 18:35
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

Are you a fan of Triumph? Santers?
Though the Question is not for me it just so Happens I am a fan of Triumph as well as Rush ... and I do like Geddy Lee's  Vocals very much, He's so talented Tongue 

Edited by Enchant X - May 15 2020 at 18:36
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>