Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ian Anderson~COPD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ian Anderson~COPD
    Posted: May 12 2020 at 22:59
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/ian-anderson-incurable-lung-disease/

Been thinking about him all day after seeing this, thought someone would have posted and I just thought about this again tonight. I know he was diagnosed a couple yrs ago, so hopefully he can continue to manage the COPD.
2020 is a royal POS year!!!

I wish Ian well and stay away from Covid-19
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 00:02
Oh that's sad. Yes, I hope he protects himself very well during these trying times. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 03:08
I wasn't aware of this, not good. A distant colleague of mine died from that about 1 1/2 months ago (as far as my informaton goes not Covid-related). Not sure how long he had been dealing with this before but probably a long time. All the best wishes to Ian!
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 03:58
COPD is pretty common for older people who have smoked for long periods in their lives....you end up getting a mixture of chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Basically you run out of lung tissue to get oxygen into your body and you put more strain on your heart because of it.
He blames smoke machines, but c'mon, if you watch early docos as well as later ones as well, he always had either a fag or a pipe in his mouth. His heavy smoking probably also contributed him developing nodules on his vocal cords.

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 07:00
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

He blames smoke machines, but c'mon, if you watch early docos as well as later ones as well, he always had either a fag or a pipe in his mouth. His heavy smoking probably also contributed him developing nodules on his vocal cords.
Agree. The blame is his own for choosing to chain-smoke most his life. Still sad to hear.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 09:28
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Agree. The blame is his own for choosing to chain-smoke most his life. Still sad to hear.
For sure, there is his own fault to deal with. I am sure there is massive second guessing going on as he feels he can continue performing but this issue will probably limit to pretty much cause him to stop altogether. 
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 18:45
COPD is a very serious illness ...I wish Ian Anderson the best and hope he has great doctors to take care of it , I wouldn't expect Ian Anderson to continue singing COPD takes away all your breath and depletes oxygen. 
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 04:31
A recent clarification of his condition by IA here:
So it seems that all going well, he'll be around for a few more years than what everyone here originally thought!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 13:33
...and in case he can't blow into his flute anymore, he's not too bad on guitar and is still an excellent composer. In addition, in the TAAB2 tour there was a young singer with his same voice.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply