Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you imagine Prog in other genres?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canterzeuhl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you imagine Prog in other genres?
    Posted: May 13 2020 at 14:45
Howdy-doo-dah.

So do you? When you're listening to a favourite song do you ever wonder what it would sound like in another genre?

I know I do, my favourite is to imagine the classic track from Automatic Fine Tuning, 'Gladioli', as a string quartet (I know you all know what I'm talking about Embarrassed)

Perchance you imagine Tarkus as a disco piece?

Maybe 21st Century Schizoid Man as some acid skiffle?

Let me know and I'll imagine with you.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 14:52
I can not only imagine, but recall a disco version of "Comfortably Numb" from some time in the early 00's, but I can easily live without it. Fortunately it has not destroyed my enjoyment of the original song.

"21th Century Schizoid Man" sounds like it would fit a metal version, but I guess there already is one, or multiple of them...

I have been toying with making a choir version of "Vitamin C" for some time.

"Time" would make a fine reggae track I imagine.

Edited by The Anders - May 13 2020 at 14:54
Canterzeuhl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canterzeuhl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 15:22
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I can not only imagine, but recall a disco version of "Comfortably Numb" from some time in the early 00's, but I can easily live without it. Fortunately it has not destroyed my enjoyment of the original song.

Unfortunately I know the song you speak of but shall not utter it's name, it is a b*****d chimera that should not walk this earth.

Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I have been toying with making a choir version of "Vitamin C" for some time.

Oh I do like this!
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 15:34
You caught me...I sometimes hear a reggae version of Dancing With the Moonlit Night (Genesis, of course) in my head. It actually sounds kind of interesting.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 16:23
I am imagining a bluegrass version of Magma’s “Hortz Fur Dëhn Stekëhn Ẁest” and a country and western version of Can’s “Mother Sky”.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 16:33
I can imagine the Moody Blues classic Nights in White Satin as a Disco piece, and so can Giorgio Moroder. Smile

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 10:37
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 10:53

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 11:02

The United States Of America - The Garden Of Earthly Delights

Snakefinger - The Garden of Earthly Delights

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 11:16
I often imagine many of Zappa's compositions as modernist classical pieces. But that's because he was basically a contemporary classical music composer trapped with rock/fusion outfits. This is why so many of the tracks on The Yellow Shark that were originally played with rock groups work so well with the Ensemble Modern. Just take a listen to the main theme or Dog Breath Variations off of Uncle Meat (original or 73-74 versions) and you can hear what I'm talking about.

I suppose mine's less surprising or out there though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 11:23

Russell Morris - The Real Thing

Third Eye - The Real Thing

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 11:32
No. Thankfully.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 12:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

No. Thankfully.

LOL
I wanted to recommend Anubis Gate's last album, a covers album (KC, Japan, Steely Dan, Beatles, Genesis among them), one of the best albums I listened to this year,but then remembered I am a minority enjoying this kind of music, so I'll go away quietly. Big smile

Edited by Cristi - May 14 2020 at 12:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 12:27

The Residents - Jailhouse Rock

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 12:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

No. Thankfully.

Yeah, really. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 15:22
I've never tried such a thing, but it sounds kind of fun. I might give it a try. 
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 17:02

Didn't know it. Thanks. The verses work well, the chorus (perhaps) to a lesser extent, but absolutely not bad.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 13:49
I've done the opposite: listening to non-prog songs and thinking how they would sound with a prog arrangement.

This one for example:

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 13:56
Or this (the singer Andrea Parodi is on PA in a collaboration witth Al Di Meola)

Ok, this is Battiato, but the song is in an album by Giuni Russo.
And let me say that it's a great song

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 15:34
How about a Prog version of any Radiohead album? Evil SmileWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>