Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Orpheus Blade for Progressive Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black_diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Orpheus Blade for Progressive Metal
    Posted: May 14 2020 at 06:35
Progressive and heavy metal, film music and musicals, a concept fantasy that is really an allegory to real life endeavors – these are just some of the cornerstones of ORPHEUS BLADE, a project led by talented singer/songwriter Adi Bitran. Armed with an attitude of “all or nothing” that has made her almost bleed for her creation and never choosing to take the easy road, Adi has selected only the best to accompany her in this journey for her first album. “Wolf’s Cry” has been in the making for nearly six years. This was necessary as Adi patiently waited for the “right hands” that would help her shape it into the strong and unique piece of music it deserved to be. And when long-time friend Erez Yohanan (AMASEFFER) stepped in that was it - Adi and Erez spent endless hours and long months in the studio rewriting, rearranging, producing and polishing everything, creating a mature album with a strong backbone. Apart from Adi’s vocal performance, a male vocalist was also needed. Someone who would fully embody the story’s character and accurately portray him through singing. After a worldwide search, Henning Basse (METALIUM, EPYSODE) was the perfect choice. As expected, Basse has done a wonderful job, perfectly stepping into character. To top it all off, the album received the full big sound it deserved after renowned producer Jacob Hansen (Hansen Studios, Denmark) was assigned the task of mixing and mastering. The album’s killer cover artwork was designed by Eliran Kantor. “Wolf's Cry” is an eclectic collection of shapes and colors. It's metal that goes hand in hand with film music and orchestrations, offering layers upon layers of cruel guitars and carefully written lyrics. It will hold much of your own essence in it along with your life-long demons. It is not only the epic fantasy it holds inside, but also a journey into your deepest emotions, to the burning core of the beast that lurks inside. It's always dark there, always restless and maybe you too will find yourself in this scenery; one that Orpheus Blade have bled to create.

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/orpheusblade/
Samples and album at https://pitchblackrecords.bandcamp.com/album/wolfs-cry 
ReverbNation http://www.reverbnation.com/orpheusblade 
SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/orpheus-blade
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2021 at 22:42
I agree Orpheus Blade should be added here for Progressive Metal. How do I create the discography for the band, or request one to be made for them?
Edit: I just realized this suggestion doesn't fit the format for new artists. I will resubmit this artist in a few days following proper procedure.

Edited by bardberic - November 02 2021 at 22:53
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 09:25
This band was rejected previously based off the 2015 release.  It won't do any good to re-submit the band until a new album is available for streaming.

bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 08:47
I would like to see this discussion where they were rejected - otherwise, I would like to appeal this decision. There's absolutely no reason this band should not have made it to the forum. They're adjacent to Symphony X and Amaseffer, which both made it. I noticed that Metallica is on this form, but they only have some progressive qualities, but if that is progressive enough to make it here, then so should Orpheus Blade as they are straight up power prog.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 09:18
Originally posted by bardberic bardberic wrote:

I would like to see this discussion where they were rejected - otherwise, I would like to appeal this decision. There's absolutely no reason this band should not have made it to the forum. They're adjacent to Symphony X and Amaseffer, which both made it. I noticed that Metallica is on this form, but they only have some progressive qualities, but if that is progressive enough to make it here, then so should Orpheus Blade as they are straight up power prog.

you mean in the archives. 
Any band can be discussed in the forum. 
Also Metallica is on here because of their influence on the progressive metal genre, they are under "prog-related", which is not a prog subgenre. 

Have they released any new album since their rejection? A new album is their only chance to be re-evaluated. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 12:19
The PA submission process is not perfect, but it’s what we go by. There will always be subjectivity and decisions, while objectivity will always be attempted, will always differ depending on the team who makes the decision. A quick Google does show that, outside PA, Orpheus Blade seem to be universally and unanimously regarded as a prog metal band. For that reason alone, I can understand why it could be upsetting to see them rejected.

A quick glance shows that all three collaborators who voted no to inclusion are no longer part of the prog metal team. There is a chance that if they came to the team now as a brand new submission, we might have come to a different conclusion, but unless there is good reason to reassess a previous decision (such as a new release) the rejection does stand.

Listening to them now, I admit I would probably give them a yes. They sound more than prog enough to me - and considerably more prog (and more progressive) than some artists who have been included. But those inclusions are the same as rejections - subjective, and decided by the teams at the time. Although PA has genre guidelines, individuals will interpret them differently, and so there is a degree of inconsistency. But once a band is accepted, or rejected, there needs to be a strong reason to reassess that decision.

I can perhaps guess why Orpheus Blade was rejected, as they are (as you say) a prog power band. How much prog and how much power is in the ear of the listener. Personally I’m not a great fan of power metal, and like very little of it. But, for me, the prog does outweigh the power. Perhaps at the time the band came up for submission, those on the PM team decided the power outweighed the prog. It is rather borderline, and bands within the grey do have to be assigned either black or white. If the three members of the PM team decided there wasn’t enough prog (even if a different team might decide differently), that’s what we go on. You might look on that as unfortunate or unfair, but it’s simply the way PA works. Like I said, it’s not perfect, but it’s what we go by. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 12:22
^ we could give them a second chance, but they could only get added if they get 4 votes of "yes". 

Also not a priority to re-evaluate them when we have 10 bands still under evaluation already. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 12:25
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ we could give them a second chance, but they could only get added if they get 4 votes of "yes". 

Also not a priority to re-evaluate them when we have 10 bands still under evaluation already. 

I definitely don’t think we should be re-evaluating any bands at the moment, but as special collab on the team, it’s your call, and I’ll go along with it,

I’m all for second chances, but we definitely have a lot on our plate without adding to it! 🤪

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 12:44
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I definitely don’t think we should be re-evaluating any bands at the moment, but as special collab on the team, it’s your call, and I’ll go along with it,

I’m all for second chances, but we definitely have a lot on our plate without adding to it! 🤪

I could re-add it to the PF chart, we take our time though, those 10 bands are the priority, the re-evaluations come second. 
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2022 at 20:24
Adi Bitran, the woman behind the Orpheus Blade, project told me that she is planning on releasing a new album in the second half of this year (but I have a feeling it won't be until the first half of 2023, considering how does the singles have taken to release). She claims that while the debut was a tribute to Symphony X and Dream Theater, the second album will be more similar to Between the Buried and Me and The Ocean. All of which made it to the archives. Single here: https://youtube.com/watch?v=BksUxOnyI5s

I would rather see the band reevaluated, as you offered, before this album is released because I actually think the new direction they're taking is less progressive than their old sound, but if you believe they have a better chance to be accepted after this new album is released, then fine.

Edited by bardberic - June 06 2022 at 20:28
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2022 at 01:13

Adi Bitran, the woman behind the Orpheus Blade, project told me that she is planning on releasing a new album in the second half of this year (but I have a feeling it won't be until the first half of 2023, considering how does the singles have taken to release). She claims that while the debut was a tribute to Symphony X and Dream Theater, the second album will be more similar to Between the Buried and Me and The Ocean. All of which made it to the archives. Single here: https://youtube.com/watch?v=BksUxOnyI5s

I would rather see the band reevaluated, as you offered, before this album is released because I actually think the new direction they're taking is less progressive than their old sound, but if you believe they have a better chance to be accepted after this new album is released, then fine.

I guess that might depend on how you define prog/ressive? Because, as you say, the bands this second album is influenced by are in PA, just as the bands the first album was influenced by are. I wouldn’t call BTBAM or The Ocean any more or less prog/ressive than Symphony X or Dream Theater. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2022 at 01:32

let's wait until the new album is out, shall we? 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2022 at 02:08
^ Agreed. It simply makes more sense to wait.

And, honestly, if it puts bardberic’s mind at ease, it should be noted that when we evaluate an artist, it is not from one album alone. So even if the newest one, once it is released, does not sound prog “enough”, we will still listen to previous albums before we make a decision.

Post Reply Post Reply