Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Who vs The Kinks vs The Pretty Things

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which band do you like the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [64.29%]
3 [21.43%]
2 [14.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Who vs The Kinks vs The Pretty Things
    Posted: May 15 2020 at 12:31
Trio of bands that begun as part of british invasion sound of mid 60s to more and more adopt ambitios influences in lyrical, instrumental and sonical ways. Experimentation and exploration became thier muse and their DNA can be traced in all areas of rock music becouse of that. Which do you like the most.

Edited by Icarium - May 15 2020 at 12:54
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 12:41
I’m going with The Pretty Things on this one.
The Who had their moments, but I never could get into them, never liked The Kinks, but I find The Pretty Things quite interesting.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 12:51
I suppose the OP is pitting these three bands against each other, because of their Rock Operas

The Who by a mile, then Pretty Things

Never liked The Kinks
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 12:53
also becouse they are bands with mane phases, with a foot in the 60s rock scene and managed to trancit into 1970s rock scene. and actualy progressed

Edited by Icarium - May 15 2020 at 12:55
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 14:17
The Who is biggest of those for me, although really like also the Pretty Things and the Kinks.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 14:41
The Kinks - The Who - The Pretty Things 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 15:20
I'm not that familiar with the Pretty Things (which is ironic as I had to write their bio for PA Tongue) but do enjoy much of their nascent 'concept album' S.F Sorrow. That leaves the Who and the Kinks, both of whom I love dearly. If it was just down to so-called concept albums, it's no contest, gotta be the Who as the music onTommy and Quadrophenia simply dwarfs that offered by the Kinks on the likes of Preservation, Arthur and Soap Opera etc. That said, there's an uncanny distillation of what it is to be British in all of Ray Davies' writing that no-one else can match. If that sounds parochial, it's meant to (I spent 38 of my formative years there) so it's gotta be the Kinks.

Edited by ExittheLemming - May 15 2020 at 15:21
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2020 at 15:30
Easily The Who
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2020 at 05:07
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I'm not that familiar with the Pretty Things (which is ironic as I had to write their bio for PA Tongue) but do enjoy much of their nascent 'concept album' S.F Sorrow. That leaves the Who and the Kinks, both of whom I love dearly. If it was just down to so-called concept albums, it's no contest, gotta be the Who as the music onTommy and Quadrophenia simply dwarfs that offered by the Kinks on the likes of Preservation, Arthur and Soap Opera etc. That said, there's an uncanny distillation of what it is to be British in all of Ray Davies' writing that no-one else can match. If that sounds parochial, it's meant to (I spent 38 of my formative years there) so it's gotta be the Kinks.

one could say The Village Green Perservation Society is a precurser to Selling England by the Pound.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2020 at 05:42
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

one could say The Village Green Perservation Society is a precurser to Selling England by the Pound.

On reflection yes, agreed. I'd never made that connection before so kudos to you Thumbs Up. Davies and Genesis were probably some of the first artists to voice an acute concern about the UK's gradual assimilation into a burgeoning global economy as a franchise nation
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2020 at 05:48
I've never listened to a full length album from The Pretty Things. 
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2020 at 07:08
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Trio of bands that begun as part of british invasion sound of mid 60s to more and more adopt ambitios influences in lyrical, instrumental and sonical ways. Experimentation and exploration became thier muse and their DNA can be traced in all areas of rock music becouse of that. Which do you like the most.

The Who.

Tommy, Who's Next and Quadrophenia are masterpieces.

Kinks and Pretty Things didn't reach that peaks.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2020 at 07:58
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I've never listened to a full length album from The Pretty Things. 
Try Parachute. It’s full of great tunes. Sickle Clowns is a fabulous track.

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 16 2020 at 07:59
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 00:33
The more i listen to Kinks Village Green Preservation Society, it reveals layers upon layers of secrets you havent noticed. Very sofisticsted and you can hear how its influenced musoes like Gary Brooker, Alice Cooper, The Zombies, Bowie, and so much more.

Edited by Icarium - May 19 2020 at 00:34
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 03:51
The Who
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 08:45
The Who............also a fan of The Kinks and Pretty Things....
someone mentioned the 'Britishness' of Davies et al but Townsend was equally an observer of that theme....especially on the earlier lp's. Interestingly the Kinks are not on PA.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply