Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums that did the opposite of grow on you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 00:27
All albums have flaws and to think otherwise is ridiculous.

If I liked an album initially then it's pretty rare for me to press 'reject' all of a sudden. Selling England By The Pound doesn't appear as 'magical' as when I started to listen to it about 30 years ago but its still worth a listen occasionally.

The Wall is getting a lot of mentions and that's understandable . It was once very important to me but I hardly listen to it now. Too 'operatic' maybe.

ELP - Tarkus is the album that got me into prog but I hardly listen to it now. Side One is a bit bland and very unexciting compared to the stonking live version. Side Two has a mix of stuff but it doesn't really gel. There is plenty of ELP I enjoy but basically the first 3 albums don't quite do it for me nowadays so I tend to concentrate on the Trilogy/Brain Salad Surgery period. It's such a shame they didn't continue in this vein for a another album or tow but none of them had any real desire to do so it seems.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 01:50

Pretty much anything in Neo-Prog and Prog Metal. Impressed me for a while, but just does not have the staying power of the classics.

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 02:52
Dream Theater, in its entirety, as a band, catalog, and entity.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 06:07
I'm not bold enough to mention any prog bands because i've found prog to be a revolving door thats pending on my own emotional state of mind at the time . I've taken the time to read everybody's comments and I agree these are good examples but it works this way for me for example yesterday I might not enjoy something as much as tomorrow I will pending on my emotional state and connection. This is why I'm not big on writing reviews are rating albums as well because I`m always changing my mind especially with prog, When an album makes a huge impression on me I remember back to those times and reflect upon them , Script For A jester's Tear by Marillion comes to mind, I don't get the same blown away experience but it's earned its place on the top shelf from my reflecting on how much I use to love it. I hope that makes some sense I know what I mean but it's hard to put into words. Prog for me is an ever revolving door related by the chapters in my own life and what I`m going through at the time Tongue 

Edited by Enchant X - May 17 2020 at 06:14
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 06:21
Not anything prog, but I was heavily into Led Zepp in my early twenties, and listening to their albums now is definitely underwhelming. 

Not saying they're bad, not at all, but I don't get the excitement I used to get from their music anymore.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 07:16
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

All albums have flaws and to think otherwise is ridiculous.

If I liked an album initially then it's pretty rare for me to press 'reject' all of a sudden. Selling England By The Pound doesn't appear as 'magical' as when I started to listen to it about 30 years ago but its still worth a listen occasionally.

The Wall is getting a lot of mentions and that's understandable . It was once very important to me but I hardly listen to it now. Too 'operatic' maybe.

ELP - Tarkus is the album that got me into prog but I hardly listen to it now. Side One is a bit bland and very unexciting compared to the stonking live version. Side Two has a mix of stuff but it doesn't really gel. There is plenty of ELP I enjoy but basically the first 3 albums don't quite do it for me nowadays so I tend to concentrate on the Trilogy/Brain Salad Surgery period. It's such a shame they didn't continue in this vein for a another album or tow but none of them had any real desire to do so it seems.

I guess it can depend upon what one means by flaws. I'm not convinced that all albums are inherently flawed, but it's the little imperfections that can make an album feel more special, unique, and personal to me. That's a reason why I often like lives -- it's not so sanitised, clean or seemingly over-produced. I can think of various albums/recordings that got it right for me.

To me my 1962 von Karajan conducted recording of Beethoven's 9th is perfection. It might well be flawed to a bigger audiophile than me.

Sometimes I went off albums simply because I overplayed them or my tastes changed direction. There are many films I loved that also lost their lustre after repeat viewings. I know them so well and in watching them again they seem not to reveal anything new to me.

I used to love Gentle Giant's Free Hand, but that's not an album I feel like returning to, and haven't wanted to listen to it in well over a decade. I used to love ELP's Trilogy, but the last time I tried it I just couldn't get through it.

The Wall is one that I think will always be special to me, even if I rarely feel like returning to it now. I don't have the issues with it that some do. I would not wish to lose a single track from it.

Edited by Logan - May 17 2020 at 07:20
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 08:00
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

First ones that spring to mind are Pink Floyd's The Wall & The Final Cut, I was a bit of a Floyd fanatic when they came out but those two in particular aren't to my tastes any more.
I'm in the opposite side. I didn't like The Final Cut initially, but now is one of the Floyd albums that I spin more, especially after a live performance by Pink Floyd Legend, a good cover band.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 07:37
No Prog LP's come to mind but I enjoyed every Red Hot Chili Peppers album for a spin or two...
The Prog Corner
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 09:17
For me I think it may be more of a 'how many times I've listed to it' kinda thing (i.e. overexposure). I'm not sure I like the music any less, just that it's so ingrained in my brain that I can hear the whole thing before it hits the platter. Like 'Grumpyprogfan' mentioned, I pretty much know if I like something after a very few listens.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 09:26
^ I think it's one thing to be sick of something after tons of great listens and being overly familiar with it, that is a common occurrence for me. I think this thread is mostly targeted towards albums that you liked right away, but perhaps repeated listens never matched that initial excitement or maybe things you really don't like stood out more and you quickily tired of it... hard to specifically say what I mean but you get the jist...
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 09:28
Around 2001 to 2005 I tried to get into bands such as The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand and The Raveonettes who were praised by almost everyone at the time. I sort of kept saying to myself that it was good, but I gradually gave up on them. I don't listen to these things anymore, and I really don't think they are interesting.

The opposition: It took me very long time to learn to appreciate Kraftwerk. I guess I must have had some built-in reservations because of all the electronics, but now I really love it.

Edited by The Anders - May 18 2020 at 09:29
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 09:36
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Not anything prog, but I was heavily into Led Zepp in my early twenties, and listening to their albums now is definitely underwhelming. 

Not saying they're bad, not at all, but I don't get the excitement I used to get from their music anymore.

I feel very much the same (perhaps with the exception of Led Zeppelin II which I still really enjoy). I also suspect rock critics of overrating them mindlessly, describing them as the band of the 1970's. I can think of many 70's artists who are much more interesting from an artistic point of view.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 10:45
Eh? Who put SEBTP? No one got fed up with DSOTM yet? WHY FOOKIN NOT!!!!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 10:53
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

nobody
I rarely listen to it myself, I overplayed it at some point. I still think it's a great album so just relax... Big smileLOL
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 11:21
Funny enough^ DSOTM and to a lesser degree Meddle are the only Floyd albums that actually do anything for me anymore.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 12:30
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

nobody
I rarely listen to it myself, I overplayed it at some point. I still think it's a great album so just relax... Big smileLOL

I rarely listen to DSOTM any more due to overplay but I don't actively cringe if it comes up on shuffle.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 12:43
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

nobody

I rarely listen to DSOTM any more due to overplay but I don't actively cringe if it comes up on shuffle.

I was referring to SETB. 
DSOTM is great, I've never grown tired of it. 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 16:36
I sometimes find that some albums I lose interest in tend to occur after I have discovered a lot of other better stuff (or what I think is better at that specific time). Sometimes I go back to those albums I lost interest with and they click with me again. It's sort of like my interest travels in waves, like superimposed sine curves. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 18:50
I actually have a hard time thinking of albums that fall into this category. Usually, if anything, it's the other way around and albums grow on me over time. However, one that does spring to mind for me is "Banks of Eden" by the Flower Kings. The first time I heard it I thought it was great but the second time I didn't think that much of it. I liked it better than the follow up but I think with both albums the bonus disc was better than the proper album. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 18 2020 at 20:03
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 23:31

I was fed up with when I first heard it! It has no 'mystical' appeal that SEBTP has. My feelings will never change towards DSOTM as it has no hidden secrets whereas clearly SEBTP has tons more going on. If your feelings CAN change towards something then generally that means its NOT bland!

Edited by richardh - May 18 2020 at 23:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>