Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums that did the opposite of grow on you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 01:50
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Eh? Who put SEBTP? No one got fed up with DSOTM yet? WHY FOOKIN NOT!!!!

I was fed up with when I first heard it! It has no 'mystical' appeal that SEBTP has. My feelings will never change towards DSOTM as it has no hidden secrets whereas clearly SEBTP has tons more going on. If your feelings CAN change towards something then generally that means its NOT bland!

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Eh? Who put SEBTP? No one got fed up with DSOTM yet? WHY FOOKIN NOT!!!!

nobody
I rarely listen to it myself, I overplayed it at some point. I still think it's a great album so just relax... Big smileLOL

I rarely listen to DSOTM any more due to overplay but I don't actively cringe if it comes up on shuffle.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 02:17
Tangerine Dream - Zeit. When I came across this 2LP at a fair in the early-90’s, I looked forward in anticipated glory (it was the last album I managed to acquire of theirs at the time - come to think, I never got any more - my 21st LP from them). It was pretty amazing for some time, now when I spin it on the odd occasion, it seems like 80 minutes of my life I won’t get back. Yet Klaus Schulze - Cyborg, acquired not so long afterwards, is the opposite now - AMAZING.

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 19 2020 at 02:21
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 08:58
When I first discovered neo-prog in the '80s, I got into Marillion, Pendragon and to a lesser degree, IQ. I still like both incarnations of Marillion, and enjoy IQ's recent albums, but I can't stand Pendragon anymore, too cheesy, vocals and music. If I ever hear "Good As Gold" again, I'll be ill.
PROGMATIC
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 09:04
One of the advantages of having a large music collection is that there is always something to listen to without having to overplay anything. I try hard not to overplay my favorites so as not to kill the magic. Porcupine Tree is one of my favorite groups, same with King Crimson, but I'll sometimes go years without listening to them. Then I'll pull them all out and go on a listening spree and the magic is still there. Neil Young is another that I'll sometimes go 5-6 years without playing, then go on a weeklong Neil Young kick, listening to all his albums from first to last.

PROGMATIC
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 09:14
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

One of the advantages of having a large music collection is that there is always something to listen to without having to overplay anything. I try hard not to overplay my favorites so as not to kill the magic. Porcupine Tree is one of my favorite groups, same with King Crimson, but I'll sometimes go years without listening to them. Then I'll pull them all out and go on a listening spree and the magic is still there. Neil Young is another that I'll sometimes go 5-6 years without playing, then go on a weeklong Neil Young kick, listening to all his albums from first to last.

This is the way to do it
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 10:46
^ Aye...it will take me a while just to get thru the CDs bought in lock down with a smart phone...then I can start on my backlog...but I find it's better not to play a new CD after listening to a classic fave....
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 10:51
Honestly, right now i'm experiencing a bit of a prog burn-out which is a first for me. Albums I generally really enjoy have been boring me to tears, it's very strange but I know I just need a break and it'll all sound fresh in some number of weeks. I've been listening to a lot of Baroque Pop and Jazz however and that has filled that gap :)
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 00:51
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Tangerine Dream - Zeit. When I came across this 2LP at a fair in the early-90’s, I looked forward in anticipated glory (it was the last album I managed to acquire of theirs at the time - come to think, I never got any more - my 21st LP from them). It was pretty amazing for some time, now when I spin it on the odd occasion, it seems like 80 minutes of my life I won’t get back. Yet Klaus Schulze - Cyborg, acquired not so long afterwards, is the opposite now - AMAZING.

There has been a bunch of TD that isn't as important to me as it was in my younger days, but this album isn't it.  I got this as part of the In the Beginning box set in the mid eighties and I have always held this album in high regard. But now when I just want to put on the headphones and escape, I reach for this album often.  Listened to it three times in the past two weeks, end to end.  There is the opportunity for carving out the time needed to this now with the covid-19 restrictions.  Zeit helps to escape.  

Zeit is definitely a polarizing album and I always get a chuckle when I think of a review that I ran across years ago.  The guy said that Zeit sounded like listening to multiple fans in your refrigerator running at once!  To each their own.  

I am not the biggest KS fan but now I'm going to check Cyborg out.  

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 00:58
^ My fridge does NOT sound like VCS3 synthi twittering ha ha.
ZEIT is my least favourite TD from the 70’s.
Cool for you to check out Cyborg. I am nuts about Klaus.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 02:52

Haha, for me it's the exact opposite with Zeit. When I got it, I was definitely too young for it and couldn't make sense of it (though already being TD fan for what came later). I came back to it about 10 years ago and now I think what a uniquely fascinating black hole of an album that is.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 04:25

Recently had the same experience. Zeit has its own magical charm, but Cyborg is much more rewarding (especially the second LP).
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 04:57
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

Recently had the same experience. Zeit has its own magical charm, but Cyborg is much more rewarding (especially the second LP).
Yes !! Especially Neuronengesang - with the Farfisa organ like Rick Wright. Tasty.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 07:31
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

Zeit is definitely a polarizing album and I always get a chuckle when I think of a review that I ran across years ago.  The guy said that Zeit sounded like listening to multiple fans in your refrigerator running at once!  To each their own.  

Hi,

And I would post that the guy that wrote that needs to find himself another job and forget talking about music, when he does not even listen to it!

It was the same thing way back when, at a time when someone (I think it was Rolling sh*tone) that has a review that TD sounded like washing machines ... and no one that I know of, other than Guy Guden, Paul,  myself and a handful of folks that heard Space Pirate Radio, ever worried about that ... and washing machines were played, of course, to show the difference, and then probably a funny bit with some really early Guru Guru, so it was all metalized, and ... to clean my shorts!

I get really tired with those folks ideas about music, which is not music at all ... it's just notes! 

We, specially at PA, need to stand up to that crap a lot more ... the music is what is important! 

PS: With only one problem ... now I will have to review a FAUST album ... and I will be in trouble! Wink
PS2: Quite a few of those folks still listening to new music at Space Pirate Radio, now on Twitch.TV ... so progressive and so many variants in music that just about no one here can handle it! Still the most experimental show of all ... and "progressive" shows are just showing how many cigarettes make them an adult!

Edited by moshkito - May 20 2020 at 07:35
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 00:17
I played Avalon for the first time in ages the other day and found it very ordinary. Not at all the way I remembered it back in the eighties as I always regarded it as very refined pop for that period. Kate Bush, Asia, U2 and Talking Heads far superior. Brian Eno is a superb producer. Every album he touches improves. The early Roxy Music albums however are still very good.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 02:46
Avalon? Roxy music is wimmin knicker dampening music is it not? I have too much REAL-PROG to bother with them....eddie jobson and phil manzanera wasted their talent in that band...Jobson should have rivalled wakeman n Emerson...too busy shagging groupies tho...
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 04:09
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound. I used to love it but now I find it meh and IMO Peter Gabriel's vocals on the album are sub par. Unpopular opinion, I know.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
ssmarcus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 06:24
Not prog but Joe Satriani's stuff and Rage Against the Machine have all grown stale on me. In the case of Joe, I kind of feel bad about it. Like there are definitely still songs I adore but for the most part, as my interests in prog developed, I can feel that both of those acts are not particularly creative or original on a regular basis. 
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 08:33
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

First ones that spring to mind are Pink Floyd's The Wall & The Final Cut, I was a bit of a Floyd fanatic when they came out but those two in particular aren't to my tastes any more.

As another Floyd fanatic, I tend to agree. Both albums suffer from what I call 'lack of Rick'.  'The Wall' is too long and rambling - if you separated the wheat from the chaff there is probably a first rate single album there.  I tend to find 'The Final Cut' more satisfying, even tho it is arguably a Waters solo album, supported by Dave & Nick.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 08:44
Same to me for The Wall.
Gotta somewhat agree with Dream Theater. Although Train of Thought and Distance Over Time are my favorite discs from them now LOL

DarksideofCollages View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarksideofCollages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 09:24
For those that have been a fan for the past 35 years! those albums comes back to you! just give it a rest!! and watch!! how you will like to listen to them again!!! It might take a while or years but it will defiantly will!!!
There are thousands and thousands of albums and bands in the prog world and even in rock in general that you can listen to. So why  listening to the same albums over and over????
specially these days? if you were born in the 50, 60 or 70s it is a different ball game as it was not easy to have access to listen to many different albums as today you have spotify, itunes or yourtube. you know what I mean?
Embarrassed
https://darksideofabel.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>